Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: I just bought Mansions ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ragnar BloodAxe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I stopped in a gamestore yesterday on a whim and I saw a copy of this. I decided to get it and last night I went through the rules and scenerios and all the components. It looks like it'll be a great game.

The thing is, I've never read anything by H.P. Lovecraft. All I really knew about him was he created the Cthulu mythos and he wrote horror stories for Weird Tales around the same time as Robert E. Howard was writing Conan. I noticed a lot of the game is taken straight from Lovecraft's stories, so will that affect my enjoyment of the game? I also know that only one of the people most likely to play it with me has ever read Lovecraft, and he said it was years ago.

I've done a little online investigating and have learned more about him but I still need to get some of his books and read them. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never read Lovecraft either and I speak as a big fan of Arkham and Mansions - another way to look it is that the games themselves are your introduction to the lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will be fine, and will have a good time without additional background knowledge.

Only the names of some of the monsters will seem strange. They may seem less terrifying in-game to you and your players because you won't know how truly horrific they are in the fiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play without. Though, I would recommend a bit of reading. It never hurts ^^.

Think about it: in the future the game will be obsolete, the writings won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless your group is big into Lovecraft it's probably not necessary, the game's dripping with flavor as is and non-fans of the mythos should be satisfied with whats there.

That doesn't mean you cant pick a book or two up for the hell of it,though. The Dunwich Horror and Others would be a good starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have great experiences either way, if you let yourself become wrapped in the theme. I agree, if you have the time, you should give yourself a treat and read at least a few of his stories to deepen yourself in his mythos. They're all relatively short, some more than others, and if I'm not mistaken they're also public domain. So you can find them online free of charge, if not extremely inexpensive. I've picked up some collection books that package many of his stories in one volume for .99 cents on Kindle.

Good luck and have lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
177ark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never read any of Lovecraft's stories before getting MoM but I did have a conceptual knowledge of the Cthulhu mythos. After playing a few times I did read one story and I'll say it helped me understand the game mechanic of Horror Checks in that Lovecraft does a great job building suspense and dread. So that in the story when an Investigator encounters a monster or is relentlessly being pursued it is understandably horrifying, which is something that isn't always accurately portrayed by the placement of a plastic miniature on a board. So now, when i play Keeper I ad lib my own narrations to my minion movements and make up my own flavor text to attacks, often commenting on the fragility of the Investigator's sanity, much like Lovecraft did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajere wrote:
So now, when i play Keeper I ad lib my own narrations to my minion movements and make up my own flavor text to attacks, often commenting on the fragility of the Investigator's sanity, much like Lovecraft did.

Well said and well done. Any MoM fan, myself included, aspiring to play a keeper should ideally incorporate this style of play. I guess there's some debate as to how much responsibility the keeper should take on, but I think the more flavor he/she can add to the game, the better.

I've only played keeper a couple times myself and I still have a hard time reading all the text of virtually every card pulled from every player. The rules do state you should do this, but I haven't found my own niche here. Just seems odd to me. But a good keeper with the right group probably has it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:

I've only played keeper a couple times myself and I still have a hard time reading all the text of virtually every card pulled from every player. The rules do state you should do this, but I haven't found my own niche here. Just seems odd to me. But a good keeper with the right group probably has it down.

That is correct. With experience, you won't need to strictly read the text in details, you will expand the flavor by improvising the narration, as you would do in an rpg. This way, it makes it even more immersive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.