Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Boardgame groups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

I know we have the regional forums to contain this information, but they are pretty random in that they specify events no particular order. And the regions are pretty large (states).

I came across this site and it looked pretty good. BGG should have something similar. This way a user can look up groups in his area and
what events are taking place in the vicinity.

http://boardgames.meetup.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meetup was fairly decent...

Until they decided that in order to have a group listed, you had to pay a fee. Since then, their business model collapsed. I get about 3 or 4 messages a month from them trying to get me to sponser a group. No way I'm paying for this, when there are other ways to do the same thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with Brad! Here in Montreal we were also using Meetup but there was no way we would agree to pay $19 a month just to have a glorified message board. We switched to Yahoo and, strangely enough, our meetings became bigger and better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Thanks for the background info.

I find Yahoo full of noise though (too many groups,
sales notices, other abuses). Still I'll take a look.
Can you give me a URL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Glenn!

The link for the main board games page in the Canadian Yahoo branch is http://ca.dir.groups.yahoo.com/dir/Games/Board_Games. If you ever come for a visit to Montreal, you may wish to check out this one as well (caution! Shameless plug ahead!): http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/Montreal_Boardgames_Meetup_....

As for the noise on Yahoo, we just use it mostly for the message board, so most of us don't even go to the Yahoo page itself, we get the messages in our e-mail-boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/95790 for a similar request...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean that entries like the following shameless plug should have a place outside the Forums?

Quote:
The Flatland Regional Association of Gamers (FRAG) has several sub-groups, including boardgamers (who meet every Thursday night, rain or shine, at the local German Club, 1727 St John Street, 7:00pm-Midnight), miniatures gamers (meeting times and places vary), and card gamers (most Saturdays at comicreaders store). Other interests include computer gaming, live-action & standard role-playing, and miniature painting.

Flatland also holds monthly Games Days on the last Saturday of every month at the North East Community Centre, 200 Broad St, featuring role-playing, Warhammer and other miniatures, Clix games, a variety of past and current board games and CCGs. Many of the events are organised in tournament format and occasionally prizes are awarded. The day lasts from 11:00AM to 11:00PM and is supplemented by a full concession for food and drink (at very reasonable prices) plus occasional door prizes and/or a 50-50 draw. To cover the cost of the venue there is a small door fee: $2 or FREE (depending on your current membership) or $5 if you are not a regular Flatland Club member.

The club also holds the Annual Flatland Fantasy Gaming Convention on the Victoria Day May long weekend, featuring a major team-of-four D&D competition. Other tournaments include many Games Workshop games, Magic:the Gathering, and boardgaming events including The Rio Grande Riot. This is in addition to many other tournaments (e.g.-A major Settlers of Catan tournament is being planned for 2006 with a CATAN 3D Collector's Edition to be given as a prize), open gaming events and demonstration games.

For more up-to-date information, please visit the Flatland web site: http://www.reginagamers.com/

Newcomers are always welcome.

I think that its a great idea... just make sure that it's broken down into weekly, monthly and yearly events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There could also be a views that the user toggles between to make the primary sort by date or by geography and the secondary sort the other key field. Or maybe even filtering/searching capabilities.

Jim_P wrote:
You mean that entries like the following shameless plug should have a place outside the Forums?

Quote:
The Flatland Regional Association of Gamers (FRAG) has several sub-groups, including boardgamers (who meet every Thursday night, rain or shine, at the local German Club, 1727 St John Street, 7:00pm-Midnight), miniatures gamers (meeting times and places vary), and card gamers (most Saturdays at comicreaders store). Other interests include computer gaming, live-action & standard role-playing, and miniature painting.

Flatland also holds monthly Games Days on the last Saturday of every month at the North East Community Centre, 200 Broad St, featuring role-playing, Warhammer and other miniatures, Clix games, a variety of past and current board games and CCGs. Many of the events are organised in tournament format and occasionally prizes are awarded. The day lasts from 11:00AM to 11:00PM and is supplemented by a full concession for food and drink (at very reasonable prices) plus occasional door prizes and/or a 50-50 draw. To cover the cost of the venue there is a small door fee: $2 or FREE (depending on your current membership) or $5 if you are not a regular Flatland Club member.

The club also holds the Annual Flatland Fantasy Gaming Convention on the Victoria Day May long weekend, featuring a major team-of-four D&D competition. Other tournaments include many Games Workshop games, Magic:the Gathering, and boardgaming events including The Rio Grande Riot. This is in addition to many other tournaments (e.g.-A major Settlers of Catan tournament is being planned for 2006 with a CATAN 3D Collector's Edition to be given as a prize), open gaming events and demonstration games.

For more up-to-date information, please visit the Flatland web site: http://www.reginagamers.com/

Newcomers are always welcome.

I think that its a great idea... just make sure that it's broken down into weekly, monthly and yearly events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.