United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the problems with growing up the way I did is your memories become fragments that tend to fade with time. Having moved so much, having lived so many places it becomes nearly impossible to piece them together in the proper order. You almost have to accept that your past, your roots, are strictly non-linear. The fortunate few that stand out are treasured beyond imagination and the rest comes and goes like the tide. As I set out to publish my next board game I am reminded just how hard it can be to recall those memories and how much I appreciate the ones that I have.

Paradise Fallen takes place in the beautiful state of Hawaii. I spent the early portion of my formative years as a blond haired "haole" boy (what Hawaiian's call Caucasians) running around the island of Maui in shirts and flip flops clutching my He-Man Action Figure. Hawaii was all that I knew as far as I knew I was Hawaiian. Even at a young age I had an appreciation for the beauty that can be found on the island of Maui. Apparently I was a fish out of water and while I caught my fair share of sea life with my hands I was always gentle to look at but put back the sea urchins, sea cucumbers and starfish that I found in the tide pools. Hawaii truly is paradise and when I returned to Maui after 26 years of being gone to bury my grandfather, I was reminded of the magic that the islands hold, flooded with memories forgotten. I longed to not only pay respect to the islands I called home but to share it with the world.

I had dreamed of a bold project that would encapsulate the beauty of the island and pair it with a favorite theme of mine, end times. I thought the contrast of the beauty that Hawaii holds and the destruction of it would be a captivating experience. My bold project would be three board games that tied together and yet were separate. The decisions that you made in the previous game would impact the following game. Risk Legacy had just come out and it made me feel like I was seven years old again reading my "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. I thought that my project could tip it's hat to Risk Legacy and build upon it. One not so small problem got in my way, I had only been an independent publisher for one month. It was going to be very difficult to get the project going but I was confident that with the right planning and with the advent of Kickstarter the project was at least possible. Three months later while listening to The Little Metal Dog Show Podcast by Michael Fox I heard an interview with an employee of AEG and someone had beat me to my idea.

Not satisfied with following in someone else in their very talented footsteps I shelved my idea not knowing when I would return to it but as fate would have it I would be revisiting my theme sooner than I thought.

At BGG CON 2012 I met a designer by the name of Andrew Wright who showed me great card game called The Expanse. After playing it several times I really liked it and wanted to publish the game. I didn’t care for the theme he had on the game and while the mechanics were really solid players weren’t really accomplishing anything in the game. Thankfully I had a theme in my back pocket that would work really well for the game with some work to make sure that everything would fit. There are 11 total Aberration and Aptitude cards in Paradise Fallen. A couple weeks later after playing the game with my trusted inner circle that includes other game designers and reviewers I signed Andrew’s game and got about the business of working on the new theme for the game. Paradise Fallen has turned out to be a great marriage of great mechanics with a great theme and I truly hope I have the opportunity to bring it to market for many to discover just how fun it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this was not posted as something that I should have found when researching the contest questions two hours prior to this forum post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Gene. This got overlooked on my part and it was supposed to be up a couple days ago. The unfortunate part about being a one person company is sometimes you goof and forget things. Hopefully you'll be lucky enough to be chosen (I have no idea how BGG does it). Have a great day and thanks for taking the time to read my diary for Paradise Fallen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.