Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this on kickstarter. At first glance, I am noticing some similarities to Super Dungeon Explore (SDE) - especially the character model styles.

I am quite intrigued about this game - does anyone know of any comparisions of this game to SDE? Similarities? Differences?

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
I just saw this on kickstarter. At first glance, I am noticing some similarities to Super Dungeon Explore (SDE) - especially the character model styles.

I am quite intrigued about this game - does anyone know of any comparisions of this game to SDE? Similarities? Differences?

- SK

SDE is a Dungeon crawl, this is a tactical battle game. Other than the Chibi characters, I don't think they share much in terms of game play.

Sure, in both characters have powers that they can use in battle, but there isn't a 'mission' or agenda' as much as there is in SDE. It's more to kill your opponent or steal their Gallons of Glory to get the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tell you one thing: I'd rather have Krosmaster than Super Dungeon Explore. I bought my copy of SDE and while I knew painting the figurines would be a great task, I underestimated just how much work it'd take. I started priming and getting things ready and I discovered I just don't have the patience for doing the painting.

So, I've a Super Dungeon Explore, never played, with primed figurines taking up space on the shelf and collecting dust. Worst game purchase I've ever made.

Yes, I'm aware I can hire someone to do the painting for me. Not really an option I care to pursue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SDE is not a dungeon crawl. It's basically a squad based tactical strategy game set in a dungeon surrounding. There really is no exploring going on. Only fighting and powering up the characters each individual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vargen666 wrote:
SDE is not a dungeon crawl. It's basically a squad based tactical strategy game set in a dungeon .

Thank you all for your input. I have to agree here that SDE a nowhere near a Dungeon Crawl - about 99% tactical mini game.

But I know NOTHING of Krosmaster - I assumed, it too, was a tactical game. I was just hoping for some comparisons.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
Vargen666 wrote:
SDE is not a dungeon crawl. It's basically a squad based tactical strategy game set in a dungeon .

Thank you all for your input. I have to agree here that SDE a nowhere near a Dungeon Crawl - about 99% tactical mini game.

But I know NOTHING of Krosmaster - I assumed, it too, was a tactical game. I was just hoping for some comparisons.

- SK

I was initially attracted to Krosmaster for a couple different reasons. After I took a look at the character range, and saw that many are repaints or slight variations of a base-sculpt, and that there appear to be blind-packs (random packs, like a CCG/CMG) I lost all interest.

Do you like those attributes in your games? If so, it may be great for you. If not, what else did you like about Krosmaster, so we can think of similar games.

EDIT: Seems the blind packs are not in the US - thanks to those who corrected me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
sargonkid wrote:
Vargen666 wrote:

- SK

I was initially attracted to Krosmaster for a couple different reasons. After I took a look at the character range, and saw that many are repaints or slight variations of a base-sculpt, and that there appear to be blind-packs (random packs, like a CCG/CMG) I lost all interest.

Do you like those attributes in your games? If so, it may be great for you. If not, what else did you like about Krosmaster, so we can think of similar games.

The US version does not have blind/random packs, FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
sargonkid wrote:
Vargen666 wrote:

- SK

For whatever it's worth, there will not be blind-packs in the US. Over here, we'll have expansions where you know exactly what you're getting in each pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:

There is little available (that I have seen) that would let me give an opinion of what I like about Krosmaster. I just know I love SDE, and was hoping Kromaster would have the same feel - but enough different to make it worth buying.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The english rulebook for Krosmaster is available. I found it gave a pretty good idea of the game. Lots of examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me, SDE is a chibi mini tactical game with terrible rules, obscure terms and gameplay that is messily complex and just not fun.

Krosmaster is a chibi mini tactical game that looks simpler, certainlty seems to play better, and has much better functioning systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also get the impression that Krosmaster Arena is really just meant for 2 players. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). Kinda like Summoner Wars, where the 3- or 4-player rules are kinda kludgey and nobody really plays with anything but 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Krosmaster plays best at even numbers. Any configuration therein is great. At 4 players you can do a free-for-all or 2 v 2. I prefer teams at 4 players since it allows for some interesting decisions and tactics that aren't available in 1v1.

It can be played as free-for-all 3 player, but suffers from all the things playing a game at 3 usually does. The last person to the rumble usually comes out on top in 3-person Krosmaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dick Gliblit
Malaysia
flag msg tools
SDE is more of a many vs 1 kind of game. You need a host, who control the "bad guys", while the other players try to take the dungeon down.

It is innately not a balance game. More for fun and a few laugh. The games I played showed me that it is not competitive at all. And there is not much tactical aspect to it. Sometime the host need to make silly mistake to ensure the game flows well. And the heroes faces a challenge but comes out winning.

Krosmaster is a head to head game, where two players pit their wits and tactics against each others. It is simple, and easy to learn. This is the kind of games I prefer.

I do belief they will offer much fun. If you like SDE, imagine this as you pitching your selected heroes against your opponent's heroes, instead of a horde of dungeon denizens. Krosmaster will also play out in a much shorter time, means more games played in a shorter time. And easier and faster setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
KDM
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:
I'll tell you one thing: I'd rather have Krosmaster than Super Dungeon Explore. I bought my copy of SDE and while I knew painting the figurines would be a great task, I underestimated just how much work it'd take. I started priming and getting things ready and I discovered I just don't have the patience for doing the painting.

So, I've a Super Dungeon Explore, never played, with primed figurines taking up space on the shelf and collecting dust. Worst game purchase I've ever made.

Yes, I'm aware I can hire someone to do the painting for me. Not really an option I care to pursue.

You don't really need to paint the figs to enjoy SDE. I really love that game too and I think you should give it a shot. Why buy a game as awesome as this and then not play it because the figs aren't painted? Sounds kinda strange to me..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.