Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ulrich Rieger
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering why the concept of infantry square (carré) does not appear expressly in the game. Is it figured abstractly into Reaction Movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly because squares were formed at a unit level way below that represented in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebenslicht wrote:
I was wondering why the concept of infantry square (carré) does not appear expressly in the game. Is it figured abstractly into Reaction Movement?

Squares are formed at a lower level of organization than depicted in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a bit of abstraction in that when a cavalry unit countercharges, the defending unit cannot advance even if victorious.

With corps-sized units and three-hour turns, squares are unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebenslicht wrote:

Forming square was typically done at the battalion level, which is about 3-4 echelons of command below what we represent in most of the games (which are corps level). Accordingly, we felt that allowing the players, in their role of army commander, to have control over something that down in the weeds was entirely inappropriate, so it was deliberately excluded from the game.

However, because we've had so many enquiries about "forming square" we decided (reluctantly) that starting with the next divisional-level installment of the series ('Fuentes de Onoro 20'), we will including an optional rule to allow players to put their infantry units into square. If they're so inclined, players will be able to retroactively apply this new optional rule to any of the other divisional-level games in the series (currently just the Peninsular battles).

Please note that I say "reluctantly:" both Joe Miranda and I still feel that giving players the ability to form square, even at the divisional level, isn't really justified. But we also appreciate that some players want that level of control, so we've bowed to the reality of "vox populi, vox dei."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Please note that I say "reluctantly:" both Joe Miranda and I still feel that giving players the ability to form square, even at the divisional level, isn't really justified. But we also appreciate that some players want that level of control, so we've bowed to the reality of "vox populi, vox dei."

I think it's a shame you're going to cave. If it's squares they're after, I'd rather see you design a tactical scaled game where it's appropriate than fudge it onto division level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Lancer4321 wrote:

I think it's a shame you're going to cave. If it's squares they're after, I'd rather see you design a tactical scaled game where it's appropriate than fudge it onto division level.

+1

Will there be an option to create the Great Duchy of Warsaw during a battle? Allowing out of scale options to a wargame is nonsense.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust me, guys. The rule we've crafted works well and is something that isn't entirely inappropriate to the divisional scale games in the series. Joe and I don't "like" the rule, per se, because we feel it gives the player too much control for the role he's in.

It's kind of the old paradigm of all those players who desperately want a battalion level game of the entire Russian Front in WWII -- it may make for a fun game, but the level of player control (individual battalions) doesn't really equate to the player's role of Stalin or Hitler. Some players like that sort of thing -- doesn't mean it's wrong, just means that it gives the player more decisions to make than he realistically should/would in real life.

More importantly, the "square" rule in question is OPTIONAL -- like all the other optional rules in the series, the squares are intended to be used on a case-by-case, personal preference basis. That same sense of mix'em/match'em applies to *ALL* the optional rules: fog-of-war, cavalry penetration, artillery support, unit breakdowns, fatigue, leaders... None of them are required for the "full Nappy 20 experience," and nobody's going to call your manhood into question if you elect not to use the "square" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
nobody's going to call your manhood into question if you elect not to use the "square" rule.

But I will, if you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
But I will, if you do.

Oooh, you brute, you brute, you vicious brute!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Rieger
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas."

Thanks very much for your explanation. I don't think squares are necessary but welcome the idea that you decided to included them optionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.