Subject: When Is The Right Time To Convert? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacen Chris Baker
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
So, I'm finally able to get back into board games again (yay friends who actually wanna play), and one of my favorites is Thunderstone. So imagine my surprise to see that the old expansions are apparently obsolete compared to the new Advanced line.

Is this the time to jump ship? I have the original base set, Doomgate Legion, and Wrath of the Elements from the original line, but is it now just more efficient to go straight into Advanced and skip out on hunting down the old sets?

-JCB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, yes.

Note that I am biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacen Chris Baker
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I feel biased too, as Thunderstone was the satisfying feeling I wanted from something like Dominion and didn't get.

But is the Advanced design an improvement though? I have gotten mixed signals. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is worth the jump. I have the entire series (sleeved!) and I can't see myself going back to the original series. The graphics are so much easier to read and the gameboard for the Advance base game is REALLY nice and helps gameplay a lot!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEG spent a long time with people who play the game a lot making it a better experience. Rules are clarified, terms are standardized, the opening hand allows for early dungeon runs, the game board adds a lot, and the tools they give you allow you to customize the game to your liking.

Some people are unhappy that the graphics were changed, or that new artists were brought in. And some people like how truly awful the original Militia were (I remain undefeated in games where i spent the first six turns resting out Militia). But I think it is a clear improvement.

I think the rules are online, and near the end of the book is a list of everything they updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
IMHO, yes.

Note that I am biased.

Being biased doesn't make you wrong.

This is a clear and huge improvement over the original. Make the switch, don't look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kali Fitzgerald
United States
Black Earth
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some people are unhappy that the graphics were changed, or that new artists were brought in.

Technically both Thornwood Siege and Heart of Doom (the two expansions after Dragonspire) had new artists as well. While Jason Engle has some pieces in Towers of Ruin and the later expansions, I don't think these pieces have quite the same feel that his earlier Thunderstone work had.

I agree with you completely, but of course I am also biased on this particular topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.