Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Favourite card in the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other day we were busy getting beaten by a surprisingly virulent Yig (Arkham Nights), when someone drew Joining the Winning Team from the Unique Item deck.

What a card.

The theme of the card, sacrificing alies to the dark power, is wonderful but the way it brought in an air of suspicion and subtly changed the dynamics of the game was superb, even though the person who drew it decided not to take up the mission. Did they do so in order to save the world from the ravages of a normally inefficient serpent, to keep the team together focused on a single goal or were less altruistic motives afoot?* It also made us more aware that the individual members of the team were distinct people.

For this reason I felt that this could be one of the best cards I've encountered yet in our games of Arkham. I wondered if you might have particular favourites also and how they had impacted on your games in interesting ways.

P.S. Yig won. Humiliating.

*I personally suspect that she didn't think there would be enough time to complete the mission before Yig awoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:

*I personally suspect that she didn't think there would be enough time to complete the mission before Yig awoke.

Yeah this is the biggest issue with Joining the Winning Team. It's a very thematic card that's nearly impossible to pass.

You basically need to get 5 extremely rare cards and then visit 4 different locations one of which can be very difficult to get to. There was a Solo session report where Darrel Simmons drew it in his starting equipment and despite the fact that he is one of the best at getting allies in the game even he couldn't collect the allies and sacrifice them before the other investigators won normally.

My personal favorite card though is this encounter at the Bank of Arkham
Quote:
A little old lady stands in front of you in line counting out a bag of pennies to deposit. Lose 1 Sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:

My personal favorite card though is this encounter at the Bank of Arkham
Quote:
A little old lady stands in front of you in line counting out a bag of pennies to deposit. Lose 1 Sanity.

That is amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find.

Gate.

Nothing cute or interesting about it... just the

Most. Useful. Card. In. The. Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Find.

Gate.

My first thought when I read the thread title was Find Gate! Then I thought out of all the cards in the game there has to be something more. But I don't think there is. Glad i'm not the only one in this boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to enter a gate but there's a Shoggoth, a Dark Young, a Hound of Tindalos and a Colour out of Space sitting on it? No problem. Just cast "Summon Shantak" and fly right in! You might want to wipe down the seat of your trousers when you're done though. Ick...

I've gotten a ridiculous amount of use out of this card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Radulla wrote:
Find.
Gate.

Hmmmmmmmmm you know if I was picking a card based solely on how useful it was (rather than just being funny) I would have to disagree with you and say that I find Press Pass just ever so slightly better.

Find Gate saves you turns moving through other worlds while Press Pass saves you turns collecting clue tokens but more importantly Press Pass doesn't cost a Sanity to use, can be used by characters with pitiful Lore, and can probably be used more often.

Back on funny cards the following two alone aren't particularly amusing but somehow drawing them 1 turn apart very much is:

So once I was walking through the Black Cave when this happened

Quote:
The moaning winds in the cave whisper your name. Lose 1 Sanity.

Well I'm was spooked so I ran in terror to the Witch House to calm down (it's a very calming place... shut up) but instead this happened

Quote:
You feel the house actually breathe and speak your name. Lose 1 Sanity.

OK seriously what's going on here? Why does every intimate object in this city seem to know who I am? Am I being Punk'd?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
OK seriously what's going on here? Why does every intimate object in this city seem to know who I am? Am I being Punk'd?

That's because you know your name. If you know your name, they will know your name. If you don't know, they won't know. All you have to do is lose yourself. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
These are situational, with specific investigators, but in Hibb's, the loan officer was in his cups and didn't recognize Amanda, giving her a bank loan. Vince looted the body of a dead grifter and came away with a .38.

Come on guy; it's Amanda; you've hit on her a thousand times. There's just something inherently wrong about a doctor looting a dead body, even if he is trying to save the world.

For entering OW without trouble, I like Astral Travel (spell).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Radulla wrote:
Find.
Gate.

Hmmmmmmmmm you know if I was picking a card based solely on how useful it was (rather than just being funny) I would have to disagree with you and say that I find Press Pass just ever so slightly better.

Find Gate saves you turns moving through other worlds while Press Pass saves you turns collecting clue tokens but more importantly Press Pass doesn't cost a Sanity to use, can be used by characters with pitiful Lore, and can probably be used more often.

Back on funny cards the following two alone aren't particularly amusing but somehow drawing them 1 turn apart very much is:

So once I was walking through the Black Cave when this happened

Quote:
The moaning winds in the cave whisper your name. Lose 1 Sanity.

Well I'm was spooked so I ran in terror to the Witch House to calm down (it's a very calming place... shut up) but instead this happened

Quote:
You feel the house actually breathe and speak your name. Lose 1 Sanity.

When you go to the Newspaper, don't knock over the ink, and, under no circumstances are you to research your family history in Historical Society.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the off chance you ever trigger it, one of the best experiences is getting devoured by the mythos card Old Debts Come Due.

(The text of the card is "Raise the terror level by 1. Any investigator who has previously made a deal with the Dark Man of Wizard's Hill is devoured. For every investigator devoured in this way, place 3 doom tokens on the doom track. All current debts to the Dark Man are now considered paid.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Missions are one of my biggest disappointments with the game. I don't think there's one that looks worth doing.
We've talked about trying out a house rule that you only have to pay the listed price at the last location, but even then they still don't seem as good as just getting an actual Unique item.
Most of the time we just have people redraw it they get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Noden's Favor environment mythos card is pretty sweet and that one encounter at the Science Building that allows you to roll to close each open gate is pretty great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite card is a location entry in the Unnamable.

"You hear scurrying and squeaking of a horde of rats from inside the walls. Abruptly, you realize that they are moving to surround you. Pass a Speed (-1) check to make it to the front door first. If you fail, you are lost in time and space."

This one has some really good memories attached to it for me. During our first 4 player game a friend of mine had this happen to him and everyone was stunned that his investigator had been thrown straight out of reality.

With everyone being new (apart from me despite the fact that I was still an AH rookie at this point) there where alot of questions.

"Where am?"
"Is he gone forever?"
"Did the house eat him?"
"I told you guys.... this game is evillllll...."

ah good times... wish I could roll back the clock and be an innocent AH noob again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargazer1x wrote:
Radulla wrote:
Find.

Gate.

My first thought when I read the thread title was Find Gate! Then I thought out of all the cards in the game there has to be something more. But I don't think there is. Glad i'm not the only one in this boat.

Depends on what is meant by Useful. In terms of general function with smooth game play, it's up there with the Gate Box and the Carcosan Page. However if there is an investigator that successfully cast it with reasonable frequency and deal with the Sanity cost, the card that will alter the odds in the favor of the investigators the most is Arcane Insight.

Jlerpy wrote:
Missions are one of my biggest disappointments with the game. I don't think there's one that looks worth doing.
We've talked about trying out a house rule that you only have to pay the listed price at the last location, but even then they still don't seem as good as just getting an actual Unique item.

All worth doing:
Sealing The Beast's Power
Sacrifices to Make
Purifying The Town (slightly more situational, but should be fairly easy to recognize said situations)

The situations where these might be worth doing are so few and far between, that they are practically useless:
Wave of Destruction
The Light of Reason

Absurd novelties (at least you know what you're losing if an encounter forces you to lose a Unique item):
Walking the Ley Lines
Joining the Winning Team
For the Greater Good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:

"You hear scurrying and squeaking of a horde of rats from inside the walls. Abruptly, you realize that they are moving to surround you. Pass a Speed (-1) check to make it to the front door first. If you fail, you are lost in time and space."

This one has some really good memories attached to it for me. During our first 4 player game a friend of mine had this happen to him and everyone was stunned that his investigator had been thrown straight out of reality.

With everyone being new (apart from me despite the fact that I was still an AH rookie at this point) there where alot of questions.

"Where am?"
"Is he gone forever?"
"Did the house eat him?"

ah good times... wish I could roll back the clock and be an innocent AH noob again.

The Rats in the Walls

One of my personal favorites, happy reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fav is "Act III" from the original King In Yellow.

To paraphrase it, it says- "If you draw this card you're dead. You're all dead. Everyone. No ifs, ands, or buts. Dead dead dead. And the whole town is crazy. And then the Ancient One's gonna destroy the world."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zestrenocya wrote:
On the off chance you ever trigger it, one of the best experiences is getting devoured by the mythos card Old Debts Come Due.

(The text of the card is "Raise the terror level by 1. Any investigator who has previously made a deal with the Dark Man of Wizard's Hill is devoured. For every investigator devoured in this way, place 3 doom tokens on the doom track. All current debts to the Dark Man are now considered paid.")

Ironically, I don't think I've drawn the card offering me the chance to make a deal with the Dark Man of Wizard's Hill; but, I've drawn the card you've qouted a dozen or more times.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
North_Wolf wrote:

"Where am?"
"Is he gone forever?"
"Did the house eat him?"

ah good times... wish I could roll back the clock and be an innocent AH noob again. :)

The Rats in the Walls

My first experience with Lovecraft. Look for William Britton. (Well, he isn't hard to find; he's mentioned by name).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
North_Wolf wrote:

"Where am?"
"Is he gone forever?"
"Did the house eat him?"

ah good times... wish I could roll back the clock and be an innocent AH noob again. :)

The Rats in the Walls

This is the first Lovecraft story I ever read. Look for William Britton. Well, he won't be hard to find. He's mentioned by name.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zestrenocya wrote:

First game playing with Dunwich that happened. My friend drew the encounter with the Dark Man and we all said, "That's a great deal, because what are the odds?" A turn later we found out. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
Stargazer1x wrote:
Radulla wrote:
Find.

Gate.

Depends on what is meant by Useful. In terms of general function with smooth game play, it's up there with the Gate Box and the Carcosan Page. However if there is an investigator that successfully cast it with reasonable frequency and deal with the Sanity cost, the card that will alter the odds in the favor of the investigators the most is Arcane Insight.

Jlerpy wrote:

All worth doing:
Sealing The Beast's Power
Sacrifices to Make
Purifying The Town (slightly more situational, but should be fairly easy to recognize said situations)

The situations where these might be worth doing are so few and far between, that they are practically useless:
Wave of Destruction
The Light of Reason

Absurd novelties (at least you know what you're losing if an encounter forces you to lose a Unique item):
Walking the Ley Lines
Joining the Winning Team
For the Greater Good

Okay, rereading them, I'd say you're right. I guess our impressions are more from the latter ones than the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Bells
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:

I also have great memories of this card. In my first ever game I drew it about five times, I still have an unnaturally high aversion to the location
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
There's an encounter in the Asylum I'm quite fond of where a madman becomes attached to one of your possessions and you have to give it to him to leave. One time the item wound up being a flamethrower, which I can't imagine the nurses were very pleased with...

My other fave is the one in the Science Building where you, the grizzled an intelligent investigator, decide to take a swig of some random bubbling liquid in a chemistry lab. And then have to make a luck test to see if this is a good idea, or a really good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
There's an encounter in the Asylum I'm quite fond of where a madman becomes attached to one of your possessions and you have to give it to him to leave. One time the item wound up being a flamethrower, which I can't imagine the nurses were very pleased with...

My other fave is the one in the Science Building where you, the grizzled an intelligent investigator, decide to take a swig of some random bubbling liquid in a chemistry lab. And then have to make a luck test to see if this is a good idea, or a really good idea.

Another good SB encounter is the one that allows the investigator to become someone else. Now, that's thematic.

I don't do it very often, but another good one is rolling a die against each open gate one at a time and closing the gate on a success. The first time I did this in a four-player game, the only gate I succeeded in closing was one that another investigator was in. He wound up getting LinT&S. Oops!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.