Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo Marchiodi
Italy
Bolzano
(BZ)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another, maybe obious question. Just checking if it is correct.

When speaking of of driving uphill and the rules tell - 1 point of acceleratione and -1 max speed, when is the correct way to aplly that.

Let's say I start in my car from the flat road and end it on an uphill road. The acceleration and max speed penality will apply only from my next turn, because I have to begin my movement from uphill, right?

Or do I have to apply the eventual - max speed and - acceleration during my previous movement too, even if I started from flat road...?

The rules speak about the hexagon where the driver ends.

Thanks againg for any help,

Paolo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me but I remember it being written such that wherever your car stops for the turn, it is -1 pt accel & -1 pt max speed. Therefore, it would apply to the current turn.

That makes since because these machines were big and heavy and as soon as they headed up any sort of incline, it took some real power to keep that inertia going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Marchiodi
Italy
Bolzano
(BZ)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, let's say i have a velocity of 4. My turn starts on a flat road. The first 3 steps are flat, and just the 4th is uphill. So give this last one some influence on this turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this rule sometime is pretty hard to accept, but (as always) David's right, uphill and downhill rules apply accordingly to the hex you end your movement in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Marchiodi
Italy
Bolzano
(BZ)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but in my example you only move three then? So, with a velocity of 4, 3 flat road part to go and the last one uphill,what would be the result? I mean I end uphill, and there is nothing to modify right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Bertozzi
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
Being a group of "there's always enough space for more complexity", we are toying a bit with the rules applying them this way:

...cannot find a clear way to write it. However, we apply them trying to stick to reality, and...well it works and it's even fun, don't ask me why
(even when we apply both rules at the same time when inclination change ninja )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In your specific example your behavior is correct: it's obvious I couldn't even enter the uphill hexagon if I'd subtract one movement point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
motoDrizzt wrote:
Being a group of "there's always enough space for more complexity", we are toying a bit with the rules applying them this way:

...cannot find a clear way to write it. However, we apply them trying to stick to reality, and...well it works and it's even fun, don't ask me why

You'll get fun adding complexity in Legend!! You can't even imagine how many rules we've eliminated during the test phase!

However, your rules intrigue me...let me know them...even in Italian laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Bertozzi
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
JRC_Firewalker wrote:
motoDrizzt wrote:

You'll get fun adding complexity in Legend!! You can't even imagine how many rules we've eliminated during the test phase!

Just my opinion: your game has a really fantastic balancement, it doesn't need more rules, for itself...maybe someone want to tailor it a bit to his needs, but in general...I wouldn't alter it too much.

JRC_Firewalker wrote:

However, your rules intrigue me...let me know them...even in Italian laugh

No, no, maybe I've found a way to explain them. Main problem is that we are really toying with the game, and...well, there's still nothing carved in stone.

However, concept is basic:
- The game downhill penalty reflect the fact that driving downhill it's more difficult (it's so those days with modern cars and motorcycle, go figure how difficult it was back in those years)
- The game uphill penalty reflect the fact that the car need more power to go uphill. Again this is still true today, so it was even more a problem back then.

So, in the end, we simply apply the two penalties in different moments, even during movement, and even both at the same time.
Uphill penalty is applied each time you put your wheels on an uphill space (not cumulative, obviously). Let's say you have speed 6, move three in flat and the begin uphill: penalty apply immediately, and if your acceleration or speed (or booth) goes in their red zone you can choose if accept the car lowering them or trying to keep them constant and doing the test. It's more difficult to explain that to do.
Let's make a real life example...your are driving on a plain surface and you want to go at 100 km/h. Then you begin going uphill and, obviously, the car begin to loose speed and acceleration. You can keep your foot stable and simply accept going at 90 km/h, or you may want to keep going at 100 km/h and push down the pedal and accept conseguences (if any).

Downhill rule in the end remain the same, because it's already realistic enough, only we apply it at the end of the movement OR at the end of the downhill section, whatever comes first.

So in the same movement it's even possible to move downhill at 100 km/h, enter an uphill zone, gain a space, and then begin applying the uphill rule. Or reverse. Or from flat to down, from down to flat, etc. etc...

Maybe it feels a bit complicated, but...dunno why, my players are really good at applying all the rules by themeselves, there no need to control anybody, discuss, or else, and the game plays smooth like an elven arse [cit].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.