8 Posts

Primordial Soup» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is the card pool open and exposed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
So when you buy cards... can you just pick anyone you want? Is the deck open and exposed or is it a normal closed deck and you draw and then choose to buy or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Cypher
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's open so you can choose the one(s) you want to buy....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 341321. Louis Cypher
  • 1d20 =
  • (2) =
  • Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:55 pm
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
doesn't that mean each game plays much the same.. aren't there cards better than others, so after a while people just always buy the them.. leading to the same kind of games and even worse who ever gets the cards first (from that initial dice roll to select players wins)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very limited numbers of the cards, and also a very wide selection (especially if you have the expansion). Moreover, more important than the cards are card combos.

If for example you preferred first purchases would be A, B, C - and a player before you buys A, then you may no longer prefer B and C at all, but now prefer D, E and F.

Moreover, what cards you want depend on your position, score, the board state and so on. I have a great like of Movement/Speed, the aggressive cards and versatile eating cards. We played a game last week, where I took only one card from any of those pools, and not through lack of choice.

Some cards are definitely better than others for a given player and situation, but they are pretty balanced overall. I think I've seen them all played numerous times - certainly the base game cards, and most of the expansion cards too. Even Doris and Frank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Cypher
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there are bettter genes, but it depends... our group observerd, there are different type of players among us. Everybody has a favourite strategy. There are 'predators', herbivores', 'tortoises' or even 'r/K startegists' (yes, most of us are biologists ) The main thing, as others said, you have to combo with the cards available, and it's rarely he same.

PS. Yesss, we do LOVE the Doris and Frank gene... thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 341455. Louis Cypher
  • 1d20 =
  • (14) =
  • Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:49 pm
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different people think different genes are the best. And what genes someone thinks are best may change with more plays. I suppose if you play many games with the same group, a group think may set in about what genes are better. Even then, as other pointed out, conditions will change what genes are considered best. And the environment cards insure that conditions will develop differently in each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another point - you can be forced to put cards back, giving others the chance to grab them.

Also the expansion (which I insist on calling Primordial Soup: Freshly Spliced because that's how I originally misread it) lets you vary the available cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many times I see a "perfect" combination one time we play, and I'm adamant to try that in the next game ... but when that game comes around, the different conditions and different things other people do can ruin your perfect plans laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.