Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primal Fear treats a character's "text box" as blank if the character lacks a terror icon.

What constitutes the text box? Does it include Subtypes (Investigator, Deep One) and/or Keywords (Willpower, Toughness, Fast)? Or is it simply limited to Card Text (e.g. Action: Wound a character.)?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all of those (traits, keywords, and any abilities). It does not include skill or icons, or any gained text (such as from attachments).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's everything in the box located under the character's picture. Icons and skill are outside the text box, so is anything granted (because it's physically written somewhere else - not inside that box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
It's everything in the box located under the character's picture. Icons and skill are outside the text box, so is anything granted (because it's physically written somewhere else - not inside that box).
Are you sure about that last part?
'Called By Azathoth' says:
Quote:
Treat attached character as if its printed text box were blank.
(emphasis mine)
So, in this case, I'd agree, because 'printed' always refers to the 'physical' text box.

However, 'Primal Fear' says:
Quote:
[...], treat that character's text box as though it were blank.
Note the lack of the 'printed' qualifier. Imho, this means it would also blank additions to its text box gained from other effects, e.g. existing attachments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right then. So granted text would be blanked as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, I can't find anything in the FAQ specifically referencing "gained" text/abilities. And we know of course that there have been errors on cards before so the "printed" reference on Azathoth may not mean anything in particular, and may just be redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danach81 wrote:
And we know of course that there have been errors on cards before so the "printed" reference on Azathoth may not mean anything in particular, and may just be redundant.
If there is an error, I'd consider it more likely they forgot the 'printed' qualifier on the 'Primal Fear' card.

All the other cards with text box blanking seem to have the 'printed' qualifier, e.g. The Night, or Richard Upton Pickman.

Maybe something to forward to FFG for an official answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

jhaelen wrote:
Maybe something to forward to FFG for an official answer?

Yup, done. Already got a response to this and one other thing that was bothering me.

danach81 wrote:
In CoC, if a text box is blanked or treated as blank, does this also blank gained text or abilities? Is there a fundamental difference between "blank" and "treat as blank"?

From Damon: There is no difference. And everything in the text box is blank unless the card says otherwise.

So it looks like Primal Fear blanks everything, including gained text, whereas if it says "printed text box" it doesn't blank gained text. You were right jhaelen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By "gained text" you mean the text from attachments that are played on that character. That doesn't seem right to me, even though I love me some Primal Fear. That would over-power the card for its cost, don't you think?

Or suppose you have a Mi-Go that has received "Toughness +1" from a Mi-Go Warrior--that would be lost as well? I actually can accept that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, such as from attachments or other abilities. That's what it seems like from his response. Perhaps Primal Fear is a very, very good card worth more consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danach81 wrote:
Yes, such as from attachments or other abilities. That's what it seems like from his response. Perhaps Primal Fear is a very, very good card worth more consideration.

It's one of my two or three favorite cards. My girlfriend plays Miskatonic/Agency and it's really nice to cancel out Willpower and Toughness two or three times a game, not to mention all those other nasty little effects that those do-gooders have up their sleeves. Doesn't stop her from whipping my butt most of the time, but it annoys her at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.