Jack Henry
msg tools
So a friend and I have been designing a boardgame for quite sometime now. He's doing the artwork and I'm coming up with most of the mechanics. As of right now the game rules are pretty solid, all except the combat system.

First let me describe the game so you guys can have a better understanding of what I'm looking for. There are other resources in the game but the most important one pops up randomly (controlled by die) and players must fight over territories in order to harvest them.

So the combat system doesn't really make up the whole game, such as something seen in wargames, and since most of the game is fast paced, I don't want the combat to be an extremely drawn out process. Also, keep in mind that all the units in my game are the same.

The two things that the combat system must achieve are:
1. Decide who wins the territory and who must retreat
2. Decide how many casualties each opposing force receives

With this said, I am particularly attracted to the combat seen in KEMET, where cards have a power number that is added to your number of units, and then a second value that dictate how many deaths were taken. I was thinking of making something similar to this but with dice incorporated somehow.

I would love to read any suggestions from you guys. I have been beating my head against a wall over this for the past few weeks and I have decided to see what the BGG community can come up with.

Thank You.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Easy way to simplify the combat system would be to base results on the Attackerefender RATIO, rather than total numbers. I would say 2 rolls on each side, one to determine result, one to determine casualties (so that the attacker can take much heavier casualties but still win, etc.). Cards can have additive of multiplier effect on the unit count, or the die roll, for either roll or both.

A lot depends on what other purposes cards have in the game, but I would think for fast resolution, either have card in play in advance of combat and/or limit the number of card plays at time of combat.

To keep calculations down, use a reference table listing ratios and the results from each possible die roll.

What kind of scale are we talking about...1-5 units per side, 50-200 per side?

If you like the general idea, I can give a little more detail about what I'm thinking, but a lot would depend on how the rest of the game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Henry
msg tools
I would love for you to expand more on this, it seems interesting

Here are some more details:
3-5 players
30 territories

right now we are playing with each player having 50 units in reserve but no one has yet to use all of them (in a 5 player game), but on average what ive seen (in a 5 player game) is that players control around 4 or 5 territories, each of which containing between 2 to 12 units. I know this last bit of info isn't that concrete and is not enough to base the system on, but it can give you an idea of the scope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, if fast and easy combat resolution is desirable, I would suggest as few die rolls as possible,and as little math as possible, which to me suggests reference tables. If you expect 2-12 units per space, set up a cross-table numbered 1-15, maybe 1-20 to be safe, where the lines meet is your (approximate) ratio. Be as specific or as general (with rounding) as you want to be.

Resulting ratio could determine the result directly, or put you on another table against a die roll. Eg. 6 attackers, 2 defender gives you A: D ratio of 3:1, attacker rolls, wins on any roll except 1. Loser retreats. For a more engaging system, have both sides roll, apply a modifier determined by the A: D ration, highest total wins.

Damage is a little trickier to balance...you want all possibilities to be present...attacker advancing despite murderous losses, high attrition, defender gives ground without a fight, one side or the other being mangled by the other...numbers should count heavily, but not be the only determinant.

Basically though, each side rolls, losses are determined by A: D ratio and cards in play, possibly things like terrain etc. if included. I'll get back to you with a refined idea about damage.

Important detail though...are cards going to be a feature for much of the game or just combat? Will cards always be in play, or only plated at the time of combat? You can GM me if you want a more detailed discussion, I'm not sure how much of the game system you want to share at this time.

Edit: smiley removal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.