Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Intentionally failing skill checks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Alexander
United States
California
flag msg tools
There are many situations where you might want to intentionally fail a skill check (fighting a nightgaunt, for instance). What are your options for doing this?

1. Can you choose to gain fewer successes than you rolled?
2. If not, can you roll fewer dice than you are entitled to?
3. If not, can you choose to ignore the bonuses from skills?
4. From allies?
5. From items that do not require hands?
6. Can you choose not to carry anything in your hands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What an interesting question. I would definitely say yes for point 6 and no for 1, 2 and 3. Not sure about the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
cnalexander wrote:

1. Can you choose to gain fewer successes than you rolled?

No
Quote:
2. If not, can you roll fewer dice than you are entitled to?

No
Quote:
3. If not, can you choose to ignore the bonuses from skills?

No
Quote:
4. From allies?

No
Quote:
5. From items that do not require hands?

I believe so
Quote:
6. Can you choose not to carry anything in your hands?

If you mean can you choose to use no weapons even though you have them than yes you can.

You cannot intentionally fail your check. What you can do is set yourself up for failure by for example lowering your skill during upkeep if you know there's a check you want to fail.

The easiest way to get hit by a night gaunt though is to minimize your sneak and "attempt" to sneak by it and auto fail by not being able to roll any dice.

You can do similar things in other situations for example if you are trying to close a gate and you want to fail but you have a good fight and a bad lore you can choose to use your lore and fail that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you never have to use an item (unique or common) so can ignore those bonuses at will (5 and 6). All the other bonuses (skills, allies) and your actual skill values always count regardless with all successes rolled counting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
I would say that you never have to use an item (unique or common) so can ignore those bonuses at will (5 and 6). All the other bonuses (skills, allies) and your actual skill values always count regardless with all successes rolled counting.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Jayface
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have twice tried to intentionally fail a combat check against Nightgaunts by not carrying anything and still passed both times. My dice are fickle it seems...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
scobles wrote:
I have twice tried to intentionally fail a combat check against Nightgaunts by not carrying anything and still passed both times. My dice are fickle it seems...

Next time try evading it with your speed maxed (ie sneak minimized). If you fail you get auto hit by it's attack and unless I remember wrong it has a -2 awareness so unless you have increases to your sneak nearly every investigator will be auto hit. An added bonus is you will not have to deal with the Horror check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess you can spend a clue to re-roll a succesful die...

How bout closing Gates? Sometimes it's strategically sound to sit on an explored Gate for a few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Guess you can spend a clue to re-roll a succesful die...

How bout closing Gates? Sometimes it's strategically sound to sit on an explored Gate for a few turns.

Clues add extra dice to a check; they do NOT provide a re-roll. For effects that actually re-roll dice, check the individual card text to see whether you may choose which dice to re-roll, or if only re-rolls on failures are allowed.

You do not have to make an attempt to close a gate if you do not wish to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.