Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Everyone:

Funded!

The Kickstarter Campaign for Hero Brigade is Live!
http://kck.st/14Mr0Il
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yutingxiang/hero-brigade...

The official BGG contest is over! Congratulations, winners!

Recent changes:
-Final 48 Hours!
-Week #4 Update: 5 Days Left!
-Added $5 Print and Play pledge level
-Consolidated Stretch Goals

Changes since first post (old stuff):
-Signed with Game Salute through their Springboard program. Total goal lowered to $5,000.
-Added $1 pledge tier
-Renamed pledge tiers to be less confusing
-Completely re-did pledge prices. Basic game pledge is now set to $25 and other tiers were discounted anywhere from $5 to $25 from the original proposal. This means a lot more backers will be necessary for the project to fund but the pricing should now be more accessible.
-Added several graphics in lieu of boring header text.
-Cut out some unnecessary text, axed some paragraphs entirely, left some humor in because that's just who I am, though. Please let me know if I left in something that makes you uncomfortable or not confident about my desire or competency. It's pretty late, and I may have missed something!
-Completely re-did Stretch Goals. Based on feedback, it seemed that people didn't care as much about pins and t-shirts and would instead prefer to get extra content added to the game. If I misinterpreted those earlier suggestions, feel free to correct me. I can go back and change some pledge levels to re-include swag. I already have quotes on those items so I know what I can and can't do.
-I re-wrote the first couple of sections to be a little more concise and tell a little bit more about the game.
-Completely re-did Stretch Goals to be in line with the new funding goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just one guy's opinion, but -

- Overall, this looks good. However, IMO your site is a victim of The Endless Scroll. There hits a point where these campaign pages become information dumps rather a succinct marketing approach. I would encourage you to trim your site down by 50%, minimum, otherwise you hit that point where the potential backer loses focus. I did. What's important to know? What would sell me on the game? You need to isolate that.

- The collage art in your header does a disservice to your presentation. There is such a huge disparity of style there that it literally looks like a collage of three different games. Pick the dominant style and stick with it. If your game really has art of that varying a degree, consider a way to thematically or logically work. Wildly inconsistent art would be a huge turn off for me - probably moreso than consistent slightly subpar art. It's immersion-wrecking.

- Not sure how I feel about the $5 backer level. You got anything there for a buck? A website thank you, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll disagree with Eric about the collage. I liked it. I immediately latched on to certain pieces of art and said, "I like these. I would like to possess them, and hopefully other art pieces of a similar style." Then again, I've played trading card games for years, so disparate art styles doesn't remotely phase me.

I did find the names of the backer levels distracting, though. Mime? Fred the Talking Potato? What do they have to do with my rewards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Kickstarter will help me recoup these initial start-up costs and also provide an extra push with an eye towards final printing, distribution, and marketing. $20,000 is basically my break-even point based on preliminary figures I have received from several manufacturers.

This part got me worried. If I was a backer, I want a successful Kickstarter campaign to give me a good guarantee that the game will get produced. If 20k is just break-even, then that means that any kind of setback pushes down the chances of me getting the game.

Build in the costs for contingencies. Or at least explain what risks you are not going to cover with the funding you are planning to get.

That's my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Second the jocular style of what can go wrong - it comes off as you really don't have all the contingencies planned. There's a lot of (paraphrasing) "I don't know if everything will be alright". Honestly I don't feel confident you have done all your research, especially after reading the risks section. It sounds like you don't have a printer lined up yet. No way would I be backing something where the creator doesn't have all his ducks in a row.

Ditto for "work in progress" about the rules. We *all* know rules are always a work in progress (online FAQ's, second editions, etc). However advertising it like that smacks of "the game isn't done yet". I want to see a game that's done. This looks like you are still playtesting and designing it.

Ditto the page size - for a draft page with no updates, it does come off like a giant wall of text. Maybe some art headers periodically on things like backer levels to help break it up?

"Optional" components? What the heck's that? Does the game need them or not? I would need to see, fanned out, exactly what the game is - cards, components, etc. You don't need to show all the cards but I want to see the rest. If the Optional components are needed to play the game they aren't optional.

So the game comes with... 90 cards? Not two "decks" of cards (108)? What are you doing with the extras? Most printers like to print in standard deck quantities of 54. I suppose you might have found a printer (although you suggest after you haven't) that will print ten pages of 9 cards each, but as a buyer, I'd be wondering why I don't get even two decks of cards. 90 cards is a little anemic.

This comes with player mats? Why? You didn't mention them in the description video (I think) or in the first game play video. Why do I need them? And where are they?

Look - I like the look of the game, for sure, but the game's "prototype" looks half done. Rules in progress, no picture of components, no idea of a printer, you know, that sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like an interesting game, but here are my issues with the kickstarter.

Your kickstarter levels are weird. It is $30 for the game, $45 for the game and 5 promo cards, then $75 for the game and 10 promo cards? So, the game comes with 90 cards + stuff, then you are asking for $15 for 5 cards or $45 for 10 cards. Even if they are exclusive that doesn't seem right at all.

The rewards don't seem like they would convince people to buy your game. The idea that if you make a certain amount you will pay your artists makes me think you didn't pay them well to begin with. And you getting some artwork done for future promotional cards probably won't interest too many people, unless you are offering up those promotional cards to the backers. Making a self-proclaimed crappy webcomic, come on, what is that?

About your writing, first too much back story. People on kickstarter are there to invest in your game, not in you. If you want all of the personal stuff there, move it to its own section at the very bottom and those interested will read it (this goes the same for your video). Second, too much fluff not enough substance. Every other line seems like it is filler and there are lots of points that are important to your game that you half explain. People want those details, it will convince them it is a good game, that is how you make the monies. (also goes same for your video)

Good luck man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate LaValley
United States
S. Range
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of saying that if the kickstarter doesn't do well you may not be able to incorporate all components (game mats, dice etc.) Why don't you make it default not come with them and add them as stretch goals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(edit: Took me 30 minutes to finish this while eating dinner. Mike Nitro9090 made a lot of the same kind of commentary you're about to read. Sorry for the repetition)

Sorry if we seem like raining on the upcoming parade ... but I'd rather set you up to succeed than see another campaign turn into a nightmare.

The pledge levels are weird.

Let's do some math. Let's say the average backer will give you $50. So, for a total funding of $20k, you need about 400 backers. At the bottom of your kickstarter page, it seems to indicate that you're already planning to print out 1,500 copies. That's good... critical question here is if you've made plans for storage and distribution of the 1000 copies that are not going to be disposed via Kickstarter backers?

By the way, I'd fully expect that the 1500 sets of cards includes 1500 copies of the ten promo cards. Heck, maybe even 2000 copies ... it would help to have plenty of ammunition for conventions.

Next ... does $30 bucks for a game make sense? Looking at the components, you've got 90 cards, 10 ten-sided dice, 2 play mats as the major pieces. Well, if those playmats are like mouse-pad quality, I'd consider it. If they're just glossy poster paper ... I would have expected something closer to $20 ... maybe $25 at the most.

What irks me is that you're asking $15 for each of the set-of-5-promo cards. Which pretty much explains the $15 level, the $45 (game + 1 set) and the $75 (game + 2 sets + handling fee of $15) (you probably miscalculated that. It makes more sense to have game + 2 sets = $60)

But .... It's not like the promo cards add to the game ... it's just alternative artwork. (And wouldn't these promos be free if I got them at a convention?)

Which gets me to thinking that you're making me pay a premium for the artists.

Which is pretty much confirmed by the $100 pledge level ... the extra $25 gets me ... a poster and my name in the rulebook. I can probably get a canvas print of the poster at that level ($30 game + $70 poster)

And then I saw the stretch goals...

At 35k (+15k over goal), you'll give us 10 free cards. Since this would require artwork, a part of that would definitely go to pay the artists. But ... would I really want a 2nd variant art of the same characters?

At 50k ... the art gets downloadable, you'll put work into the game theme, and the artists get a bonus paycheck. All that is good for you, but I would have expected it should have been part of the game marketing in the first place. So what does that stretch goal do for me?

Think about it this way... stretch goals are incentives for your backers to go and spread the word about the game to their friends. At 35k, you're essentially asking each backer to give you another backer. At 50k, you're asking each backer to bring back 2 more. What would you pay for that kind of marketing campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

- Overall, this looks good. However, IMO your site is a victim of The Endless Scroll. There hits a point where these campaign pages become information dumps rather a succinct marketing approach. I would encourage you to trim your site down by 50%, minimum, otherwise you hit that point where the potential backer loses focus. I did. What's important to know? What would sell me on the game? You need to isolate that.

Hi, Erik, what do you think is extraneous? I've tried to do my best not to include too much, but I also don't want to leave anything out, either.

Quote:
- The collage art in your header does a disservice to your presentation. There is such a huge disparity of style there that it literally looks like a collage of three different games. Pick the dominant style and stick with it. If your game really has art of that varying a degree, consider a way to thematically or logically work. Wildly inconsistent art would be a huge turn off for me - probably moreso than consistent slightly subpar art. It's immersion-wrecking.

There are two different artists represented in the collage. Personally, I like it but I understand your viewpoint.

Quote:
- Not sure how I feel about the $5 backer level. You got anything there for a buck? A website thank you, maybe?

I can add in a $1 donation, but a backer wouldn't really get anything for it other than a "thank you" somewhere. At $5, you get a promo card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

I did find the names of the backer levels distracting, though. Mime? Fred the Talking Potato? What do they have to do with my rewards?

Nate: They are all characters in the game. I thought it would add a little variety, but I can re-think these. I originally had them labeled as follows:

Citizen
Sidekick
Vigilante
Local Hero
Hero
Global Hero
Cosmic Hero
Legend

Would those be less confusing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yutingxiang wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Nate: They are all characters in the game. I thought it would add a little variety, but I can re-think these. I originally had them labeled as follows:

Citizen
Sidekick
Vigilante
Local Hero
Hero
Global Hero
Cosmic Hero
Legend

That would be more clear, yes, as there is a visible hierarchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Sturv: I will gladly produce the game at the break-even point which is what I set the Kickstarter campaign goal at. I have gotten 3 solid quotes from printers (WinGo, Custom Playing Cards, and Panda Manufacturing), but I am waiting to see how well the KS does (or doesn't) before agreeing to their prices. Each printer has different costs, especially at different quantities. If I choose a printer from China, it will only be at a larger quantity level in order to cover shipping costs.

Is this information you feel that I should cover on the campaign page?

Stormtower wrote:

This part got me worried. If I was a backer, I want a successful Kickstarter campaign to give me a good guarantee that the game will get produced. If 20k is just break-even, then that means that any kind of setback pushes down the chances of me getting the game.

Build in the costs for contingencies. Or at least explain what risks you are not going to cover with the funding you are planning to get.

That's my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Rocco, I think my self-deprecating sense of writing and humor may be creating issues where they may not be some.

I have 3 printers lined up, but I haven't chosen which one to go with due to different costs in quantity and shipping (see previous response). I will go back and re-write this section to make this more clear. I don't want people thinking I haven't done my due diligence, when, in fact, I have been working on these things for several months straight (it takes several weeks just to hear back from Panda Manufacturing after requesting an initial quote).

The rules document has gone through about 9 major revisions over the course of the past two months. I guess I call anything that's not final a "work in progress". I've removed that language from that section.

I'll play around with a few graphics headers to break up the wall of text. I was just using the header lines to do so, but I agree it'd look nicer as graphics and less boring.

Optional components are exactly that. I'd like to include dice for keeping track of hit points, but they're not strictly necessary. For example, Sentinels of the Multiverse doesn't include dice but they sure are handy when you're playing the game. Same goes for counters and play-mats. You don't need counters and play-mats to play Magic: The Gathering, but it's nice to have them.

The game was designed and balanced around 90 cards. This is something I am not willing to change at this point. Also, none of the printing companies (WinGo, Quality Cards, or Panda Manufacturing) mentioned that the card count would be any kind of problem or issue or incur an additional cost.

If you read the rules document, I think it holds up fairly well, but I understand your concern about the product not being finished. If that was your takeaway that's a failure on my part in writing the campaign page as the game is completely done. All the art is in, and there are even a couple of warnings around the videos that state that at the time they were taken that all of the art hadn't come in yet. The only major change to the game from here until print will be translating them from the beta card template to the final template.

I'm honestly a little surprised by this as I feel my game is at a much more advanced stage of completion than most Kickstarter games I see, but I'll do my best to go back through and correct anywhere I've made that impression.

Rocconteur wrote:
Second the jocular style of what can go wrong - it comes off as you really don't have all the contingencies planned. There's a lot of (paraphrasing) "I don't know if everything will be alright". Honestly I don't feel confident you have done all your research, especially after reading the risks section. It sounds like you don't have a printer lined up yet. No way would I be backing something where the creator doesn't have all his ducks in a row.

Ditto for "work in progress" about the rules. We *all* know rules are always a work in progress (online FAQ's, second editions, etc). However advertising it like that smacks of "the game isn't done yet". I want to see a game that's done. This looks like you are still playtesting and designing it.

Ditto the page size - for a draft page with no updates, it does come off like a giant wall of text. Maybe some art headers periodically on things like backer levels to help break it up?

"Optional" components? What the heck's that? Does the game need them or not? I would need to see, fanned out, exactly what the game is - cards, components, etc. You don't need to show all the cards but I want to see the rest. If the Optional components are needed to play the game they aren't optional.

So the game comes with... 90 cards? Not two "decks" of cards (108)? What are you doing with the extras? Most printers like to print in standard deck quantities of 54. I suppose you might have found a printer (although you suggest after you haven't) that will print ten pages of 9 cards each, but as a buyer, I'd be wondering why I don't get even two decks of cards. 90 cards is a little anemic.

This comes with player mats? Why? You didn't mention them in the description video (I think) or in the first game play video. Why do I need them? And where are they?

Look - I like the look of the game, for sure, but the game's "prototype" looks half done. Rules in progress, no picture of components, no idea of a printer, you know, that sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Mike:

I am currently re-examining the reward levels. I was speaking to a local retailer and actually demonstrated the game there tonight, and I will probably lower costs across the board. He was of the same general opinion.

I paid all of the artists their standard rates and even awarded a bonus for speedy completion in one case where the artist came in well ahead of schedule. I thought I was actually being generous by building in extra reward levels to the artists. This really caught me off-guard.

As far as the webcomic reward stretch goal, again, I guess that's my self-deprecating sense of humor getting in the way. I actually did a very popular webcomic back in the day, but it's a reference that will probably be lost on a large majority of the Kickstarter audience. It'd be a small webcomic by today's standards but I received tens of thousands of unique visitors daily. I'll re-word this.

Kickstarter actually encourages you to show more of yourself in the video and write about yourself in the campaign page as well. They state campaigns that do so are, I think, 40% more likely to be funded. This may not appeal to you, but it does statistically make sense to do so.

What points do you think I should better explain regarding the game itself? If you can give me a couple of examples, I will make sure to flesh those out more. Thanks!

nitro9090 wrote:
It sounds like an interesting game, but here are my issues with the kickstarter.

Your kickstarter levels are weird. It is $30 for the game, $45 for the game and 5 promo cards, then $75 for the game and 10 promo cards? So, the game comes with 90 cards + stuff, then you are asking for $15 for 5 cards or $45 for 10 cards. Even if they are exclusive that doesn't seem right at all.

The rewards don't seem like they would convince people to buy your game. The idea that if you make a certain amount you will pay your artists makes me think you didn't pay them well to begin with. And you getting some artwork done for future promotional cards probably won't interest too many people, unless you are offering up those promotional cards to the backers. Making a self-proclaimed crappy webcomic, come on, what is that?

About your writing, first too much back story. People on kickstarter are there to invest in your game, not in you. If you want all of the personal stuff there, move it to its own section at the very bottom and those interested will read it (this goes the same for your video). Second, too much fluff not enough substance. Every other line seems like it is filler and there are lots of points that are important to your game that you half explain. People want those details, it will convince them it is a good game, that is how you make the monies. (also goes same for your video)

Good luck man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate LaValley wrote:
Instead of saying that if the kickstarter doesn't do well you may not be able to incorporate all components (game mats, dice etc.) Why don't you make it default not come with them and add them as stretch goals?

Nate: This is a really good suggestion, and one that a local retailer made as well. I am going to do this very thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Sturv: No worries! If I didn't want feedback, I wouldn't haved asked for it!

I am actually going into number-crunching mode now to re-do all of the pledge levels and stretch goals.

One of the reasons I decided against adding in completely new cards to the Stretch Goals is because Hero Brigade has already been extensively play-tested and balanced.

Also, when the common Resource Deck runs out of cards, the game ends at the end of the turn. If you add in cards, it changes how long the game lasts. I guess you could substitute cards in on a 1-for-1 basis instead. Let me think on that one a little bit more.

At this point, in order to make the math work, I will probably set the optional components aside as a stretch goal reward.

I'm going to re-do a lot of these pledge tiers and include a retailer one as requested by the local game store tonight. I guess I'm just really paranoid about taking a bath if I set the pledges and the campaign goal too low.

Stormtower wrote:
(edit: Took me 30 minutes to finish this while eating dinner. Mike Nitro9090 made a lot of the same kind of commentary you're about to read. Sorry for the repetition)

Sorry if we seem like raining on the upcoming parade ... but I'd rather set you up to succeed than see another campaign turn into a nightmare.

The pledge levels are weird.

Let's do some math. Let's say the average backer will give you $50. So, for a total funding of $20k, you need about 400 backers. At the bottom of your kickstarter page, it seems to indicate that you're already planning to print out 1,500 copies. That's good... critical question here is if you've made plans for storage and distribution of the 1000 copies that are not going to be disposed via Kickstarter backers?

By the way, I'd fully expect that the 1500 sets of cards includes 1500 copies of the ten promo cards. Heck, maybe even 2000 copies ... it would help to have plenty of ammunition for conventions.

Next ... does $30 bucks for a game make sense? Looking at the components, you've got 90 cards, 10 ten-sided dice, 2 play mats as the major pieces. Well, if those playmats are like mouse-pad quality, I'd consider it. If they're just glossy poster paper ... I would have expected something closer to $20 ... maybe $25 at the most.

What irks me is that you're asking $15 for each of the set-of-5-promo cards. Which pretty much explains the $15 level, the $45 (game + 1 set) and the $75 (game + 2 sets + handling fee of $15) (you probably miscalculated that. It makes more sense to have game + 2 sets = $60)

But .... It's not like the promo cards add to the game ... it's just alternative artwork. (And wouldn't these promos be free if I got them at a convention?)

Which gets me to thinking that you're making me pay a premium for the artists.

Which is pretty much confirmed by the $100 pledge level ... the extra $25 gets me ... a poster and my name in the rulebook. I can probably get a canvas print of the poster at that level ($30 game + $70 poster)

And then I saw the stretch goals...

At 35k (+15k over goal), you'll give us 10 free cards. Since this would require artwork, a part of that would definitely go to pay the artists. But ... would I really want a 2nd variant art of the same characters?

At 50k ... the art gets downloadable, you'll put work into the game theme, and the artists get a bonus paycheck. All that is good for you, but I would have expected it should have been part of the game marketing in the first place. So what does that stretch goal do for me?

Think about it this way... stretch goals are incentives for your backers to go and spread the word about the game to their friends. At 35k, you're essentially asking each backer to give you another backer. At 50k, you're asking each backer to bring back 2 more. What would you pay for that kind of marketing campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Everyone:

I want to thank you all for your feedback. I am going to go back and crunch all of my numbers again with the quotes I received from printers. I am going to lower all of the pledge tiers and hope to make up for it in quantity. I'll also be doing a retailer pledge fee as suggested tonight when I taught the game to the local gaming crowd.

I will also be redoing the "optional components" section and splitting those into a stretch goal. I will also be re-working the stretch goals to try and make them more enticing. I'll also take out any mention of extra money going to the artists. I'll still honor that, but I'll remove it from the campaign page.

Again, thank you! I'll re-post here once I've re-crunched all of the numbers again and figured out what I can and can't afford to do for pledge tiers and stretch goals.

Edit: Also, one thing that's not on the campaign page because I can't talk about it too much is that I am in talks with a national publisher, so I may not have to do any warehousing or shipping, but the publisher will obviously get a cut to handle that end. It's not official yet, so I haven't made any of those details public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
yutingxiang wrote:

Citizen
Sidekick
Vigilante
Local Hero
Hero
Global Hero
Cosmic Hero
Legend

That would be more clear, yes, as their is a visible hierarchy.

I would agree with that change back to indicate a "hierarchy". I figured out that you were using the character names; but as Nate said, it adds confusion rather than provide something helpful.

I'd also suggest re-doing the pledge levels ... here's what I would do:

Citizen - $1 - Thanks for your interest! Stay tuned for updates, and hopefully you'll decide to upgrade your support!

(It is pretty important to provide backers-on-the-fence this $1 level, so they have a convenient way of coming back to change their mind.)

Reporter - $5 - you get One random Hero and One random Villain promo card!

(btw ... $10 to ship outside of the US? Even for 2 cards with some stiff backing in an envelope? Wouldn't $5 be more reasonable? $5 should be enough for first class international letter rate up to 3.5 ounces even with the non-machinable surcharge)

Sidekick - $10 - Receive all 5 Promo Hero cards or all 5 Promo Villain cards.

(And yeah, for this one, you might need more than $5 international shipping. Go do your homework and find out exactly how much it is ... $10 shipping sounds too much, but depending on how you pad the package, it might be right.)

Vigilante - $30 Early Bird -- Game + the Reporter-level
(Limited to 100)

Town Hero - $30 -- Game

City Hero - $40 -- Game + Sidekick-level

Global Hero - $50 -- Game + all 10 promo cards (ie, 2 Sidekick-levels)

Galactic Hero -- $80 -- same as Global Hero ... plus your name in the rulebook (and website?); plus your choice of one of the two promo posters (Hero or Villain). (Limited to 100)

(Keep in mind ... at this point, the backer has paid for 2 copies of the game, but is only receiving one.)

(How big should the promo poster be? I've seen rates of about $25 for a 2ft x 3ft poster ... but since you'll need these for conventions anyway, you can probably get a cheaper rate by getting a bulk order. Zazzle.com can make 20 inch x 28 inch custom posters for about $18 (matte) or $15 (glossy))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yutingxiang wrote:
Hi, Sturv: I will gladly produce the game at the break-even point which is what I set the Kickstarter campaign goal at. I have gotten 3 solid quotes from printers (WinGo, Custom Playing Cards, and Panda Manufacturing), but I am waiting to see how well the KS does (or doesn't) before agreeing to their prices. Each printer has different costs, especially at different quantities. If I choose a printer from China, it will only be at a larger quantity level in order to cover shipping costs.

Is this information you feel that I should cover on the campaign page?

Any information you provide that will give the backers a feeling that you did your homework, researched your options, and weighed the risks of "weird things happening" will help you.

(Weird things happening include ... delays in shipping from the manufacturer to you ... somewhat-random customs or freight charges ... attacks from the sun ...)

You should also find out whether 400 backers is a reasonable number to expect given your product and the length of your campaign. (I honestly don't know!)

Do you have two or three reviewers to sing your praises? Do you have a good number of "Yeah, I'll buy it" from local gamers and online communities? Did you get a Facebook page for the game and start gauging interest using that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yutingxiang wrote:
Edit: Also, one thing that's not on the campaign page because I can't talk about it too much is that I am in talks with a national publisher, so I may not have to do any warehousing or shipping, but the publisher will obviously get a cut to handle that end. It's not official yet, so I haven't made any of those details public.

That's probably a distributor ... not a publisher.

At any rate, you probably need to tell them about this Kickstarter campaign before you launch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturv: Noted! I am going to adjust those sections accordingly. I guess I can be very self-deprecating and anxious, and I can see how that could undercut any potential backer's confidence in the product.

I am lowering the price to $25 per copy, which means I need around 800 backers (assuming they all buy into the basic no-frills just-the-game pledge).

There is a Facebook page for Zucchini People Games, LLC where I have been sharing updates and photos beyond what's on the KS campaign page.

In addition to the contest and advertising here, I have previews lined up with Dice Tower, Father Geek, All Us Geeks, and The Gamers' Table (although that last one may be a little delayed due to their current workload).

Stormtower wrote:

Any information you provide that will give the backers a feeling that you did your homework, researched your options, and weighed the risks of "weird things happening" will help you.

(Weird things happening include ... delays in shipping from the manufacturer to you ... somewhat-random customs or freight charges ... attacks from the sun ...)

You should also find out whether 400 backers is a reasonable number to expect given your product and the length of your campaign. (I honestly don't know!)

Do you have two or three reviewers to sing your praises? Do you have a good number of "Yeah, I'll buy it" from local gamers and online communities? Did you get a Facebook page for the game and start gauging interest using that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I can't really comment on it too much more, but it's a company that does both. Also, they are well aware of the Kickstarter.

Stormtower wrote:

That's probably a distributor ... not a publisher.

At any rate, you probably need to tell them about this Kickstarter campaign before you launch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I think it was wise of you to share the preview of the campaign here. Looks like you are getting lots of good of advice and rethinking things.

I immediately noticed the 2 art styles and thought it slightly odd. but not terrible. But it was on the negative side. although both styles individually look good.

Are you going to review things and share again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim: Absolutely. I am in the process of re-doing the campaign now with all of the feedback (and running numbers). I have disabled the preview link for now but will share again once the campaign page has been re-written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Backing levels: a $1 level is absolutely essential. It's not about the "thank you". Here's what the $1 level gets you:
- It gets me updates on the project
- it lets me subscribe to a project I may not actually care that much about, but figure might win, in case I want to increase my standing on Kickstarter. Never forget to a lot of folks some of the fun about Kickstarters is the community aspect and showing that you back a lot of WINNING projects.
- It lets me contribute in case I don't really want to shell out money. Your cousins might not have any interest in games, but a buck is just a show of support to say "hi" to you. I know a bunch of people online (I'm part of a big community of comics) who probably have no inclination to buy the game (and wouldn't know what to do with a promo card), but would be willing to throw a buck at me to show support.

Self depreciation and humor: I totally get where you are going with that, and while you don't want to lie or seem cocky, I like to see quiet determined confidence in my Kickstarting author.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.