Steven McCarthy
msg tools
I have a few rules questions that I do not see covered in the rulebook:

1. When a base scores and has a "Winner" ability, do the cards on the scoring base go to the discard pile before or after resolving the winning ability? Our group decided that "Winner" abilities resolve first, then cards are moved to the discard pile and a new base is drawn.

The exact case we were wondering about was Inventors Salon (The winner of this base may put an action card from his/her discard pile into his/her hand). If I am playing as Steampunk and I have a base ability on Inventors Salon when it scores, and I win, can I return that same ability to my hand (in this case, Aggromotive). Again, we were against playing it that way as we had decided that winner abilities must resolve before cards go to discard piles and a new base is drawn.

2. We decided that Sprout cannot search for Weed Eater because even though its power on the turn you play it is 3, its printed power is 5. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. On p. 8 of the rule book, it says
Quote:
After scoring, players can use Special abilities that happen "after" a base scores. Then all cards still on that base go to their owners' discard piles.

And since it says on p. 9 that base abilities are Special and Ongoing, it looks like you are right: the base ability takes place before the cards on the base are discarded.

2. I think you are right about Weed Eater also, though I could see it being ruled the other way. Todd?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xfer wrote:
2. We decided that Sprout cannot search for Weed Eater because even though its power on the turn you play it is 3, its printed power is 5. Is this correct?

This thread has Todd's response about Minions in hand/graveyard/deck and printed power. You are correct that the card is its printed power if it is not in play.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/882056/some-questions-rules-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Delgadillo
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
xfer wrote:

This thread has Todd's response about Minions in hand/graveyard/deck and printed power. You are correct that the card is its printed power if it is not in play.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/882056/some-questions-rules-...

I read through that but there is still something that's bugging me. Why have the Weed Eater be -2 power when you first play it? Other than it being thematic of course I feel that it has to play something with the Sprouts, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CountAight wrote:
I read through that but there is still something that's bugging me. Why have the Weed Eater be -2 power when you first play it? Other than it being thematic of course I feel that it has to play something with the Sprouts, no?

Not really. I've known the rule about how minion power works too long to doubt it now.

Thinking about it, Weed Eater could have been given power 3 and the ability "This minion has +2 power after the turn you play it." This wording would have the same effect and would also let it be used by Sprouts, so you might say it's the way it is to avoid being used with Sprouts. But I doubt it. The way it is worded is simply better, since you'd only have to remember the power change for its first turn, rather than every turn after the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Delgadillo
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! That indeed makes much more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.