Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We have had a few occasions where we have bought up so many factories and spaceports that we have run out of counters for them. Are you limited by your counter pool, or should you just use a fort or other unused counter to represent that extra factory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are limited by the number of counters; the supply of goods is fixed. It's part of the game that the supply is limited causing players to either race to get what is available and change their plans when the goods they want aren't available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:
You are limited by the number of counters; the supply of goods is fixed. It's part of the game that the supply is limited causing players to either race to get what is available and change their plans when the goods they want aren't available.

I don't think he's referring to the goods counters, but rather the factory/spaceport tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you remember the old "Elite" space trading computer game.
often traders would run out of the goods available until restocked...lol

MoV compatability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the original question, the counter mix is not a limit at WBC, and I have never heard of anyone playing that it was a limit.

2012 WBC Merchant of Venus Tournament

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, you are limited to the counter mix, even with factory/spaceport counters. Therefore, if you buy mostly cheaper factories, you may find that you lose at the end, because the worth of the factory and spaceport deeds is what is counted along with cash to determine the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Forrester
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
According to the rules, you are limited to the counter mix, even with factory/spaceport counters.

I agree that this is the correct way to play, but I'm not finding this in the rules anywhere...maybe I'm just skimming too fast...

I also vaguely recall that if you run out of money that the game is over and whoever has the most money at the time is the winner, but I can't seem to find that in the rules either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played second edition (and standard version at that, which is admittedly a different game - sorry, I looked this up before I realized this was a first edition question), but the bottom of page 9 says fame/infamy, credits and blue dots/asteroids are not limited but everything else is.

The classic rules of the second edition have the same blurb at the top of page 15, and the section at the beginning that outlines differences between second edition classic rules and first edition don't mention a difference on those limitations, but I suppose you can't count on that to be definitive.

Summary: in second edition classic rules, they are very much limited and no indication is made that this has changed from first edition, but that doesn't mean it's not an error by omission. Inconclusive.

(yay, all that and I didn't really contribute much to the conversation. Sorry guys.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
According to the rules, you are limited to the counter mix, even with factory/spaceport counters.

Nope.

The rules say each player has 12 spaceport/factory chits. There is no rule that this supply limits you to only 12 deeds purchased. Or any rule limiting the number of deeds you can purchase.

The port/factory chips a simply a way to conveniently mark ownership on the board--if the owner's port or factory chit is not present in system (whether forgotten to be placed or accidentally knocked away or run out), the player still has the deed which proves his ownership.

This is one problem with the new edition, which use generic port deeds (which requires marking the board) and use the back for drilling claims (in the Standard game), which can expend the supply. (Plus the fact FFG forgot one port on the Classic game board (Neutron Port--FFG has published an erratum that confirms it should be there.) and printed only enough deed chips for the board they printed! Use the "proof of purchase" chit--as you'll need one more.)

In practice, 12 P/F chits are enough in all but games to $3-4000 with 2 or 3 players. Someone (usually the player who has bought a lot of deeds) wins before acquiring a 13th deed (13 deeds are worth at least $2,000, even if they buy every $100 factory deed.) There are only 39 total deeds.

Quote:
I also vaguely recall that if you run out of money that the game is over and whoever has the most money at the time is the winner, but I can't seem to find that in the rules either.

This is in the rules (13.3 Bankruptcy).

But again this should never come up, except in games to $4000 with large numbers of players. With $12,000 in the bank and $7,200 in deeds available, someone will win first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.