Subject: So far Dragon's Maze looks... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
SUPER FUN!

Seriously, if you like interesting creatures this set looks packed with them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm right there with you. Me and my friends have been playing casual Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash over the past month and a half, and everytime I see another new Dragon's Maze card, I get excited for how it can be used.

Then again, I have to keep my excitement in check because the majority of the card spoilers are Rare and Mythic Rare. We've been playing Sealed and Draft and then playing with our card pools. I'll be playing mostly with the Commons and Uncommons until we make a group decision to maybe institute a group budget (or salary cap) for buying singles.

But yeah, the Pre-Release should be Super Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much more excited for this set than Gatecrash, which makes me happy. Can't wait to get deck brewing!

Also:

http://mythicspoiler.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I don't really like is Emmara Tandris, to be 5/7 she would need to be a Giant Elf, not just an Elf Shaman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well keep in mind that the power toughness doesn't just reflect a "big ass monster," but can also reference the character's ability to defend themselves in other (sometimes not aggressive) ways. Like Teysa is a badass 4/4 because she's got connections and can manipulate others in order to protect herself. At least that's what I've always thought. Besides, Emmara plays really well with Trostani, the guild's leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really enjoyed Gatecrash (I was less excited by RTR) and I am very much looking forward to block draft. They have already spoiled a lot of exciting looking commons/uncommons, and I'm looking forward to a radically different limited environment where, perhaps, we play things like Horncaller's Chant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
...and I'm looking forward to a radically different limited environment where, perhaps, we play things like Horncaller's Chant.

Come play in my Kitchen Table limited games. We're not very good, so one get's played every other match or so. We just call it "Trampled by Rhinos."

And I pulled a Desecration Demon the first game where I got a ton of BR Rakdos cards. Every game I played, that one card came out, and my buddy kept saying, "You'd better not play that Vengeance Demon!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is already vowing to burn any Master of Creatures he sees! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Well keep in mind that the power toughness doesn't just reflect a "big ass monster," but can also reference the character's ability to defend themselves in other (sometimes not aggressive) ways. Like Teysa is a badass 4/4 because she's got connections and can manipulate others in order to protect herself. At least that's what I've always thought. Besides, Emmara plays really well with Trostani, the guild's leader.

No, not really. P/T is a measure of a creature's physical capabilities, and Teysa is just another example of bad development, as are almost all guild champions in Dragon's Maze. A 4/4 crippled cleric, a 5/7 elf shaman, and at the same time a 2/4 vampire (?!). The ability of a creature to defend/attack in non-physical ways are usually represented by printed abilities.
The fact that there is no other elf creature (that is not a huge mutant elf or riding some beast) or in the history of MtG with P/T greater than 3/3, is indicative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, those stats on Emmara looks really odd. And here's a theory (not mine, I saw the picture elsewhere) about it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting theory. I noticed the artwork of the elemental in the background of Emmara while doing a little Magic browsing last night, but this came to some conclusions I never would have come to.

And as a Selesnya player, I was just thinking about how I wished that Voice of Resurgence was not at Mythic Rare. Current prices are around $20 pre-order. Yowzas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaRo confirmed on his Tumblr... Emmara was supposed to be the Mythic that poops out tokens. A few sellect "mazerunners" were originally going to be mythic, and they changed it in Development, swapping her card with a different rare.

I still don't think it's a big deal personally. Wouldn't be shocked if she ends up seeing play in a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long time since a giant (or an elephant) was the standard for 3/3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

I still don't think it's a big deal personally. Wouldn't be shocked if she ends up seeing play in a year.

I'll be super shocked if she comes anywhere close to being played in standard. If Avacyn at 8 mana saw no play with far better stats and abilities then I think Emmara at 7 mana is just a limited bomb, and a fairly mediocre one at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She won't even see play in casual or EDH, except by people whose magic collection is exactly 60 (or 100) cards and Emmara is one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
She won't even see play in casual or EDH, except by people whose magic collection is exactly 60 (or 100) cards and Emmara is one of them.

Whoa there. You're forgetting the casual Ravnica EDH Theme games where you can only use cards with your guild's mark on them.

Gatherer only shows 67 cards with a Selesnya mark, and if I remember correctly, Dragon's Maze will only add 10 more.

...so yes, if your pool is only 60 or so cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:

Some people play EDH for fun, not as a minimax efficiency study in which any card that is suboptimal is unplayable. You can bet there will be people building EDH token-populate decks including her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to do an efficiency study in order to not deliberately include in your deck what is arguably one of the worst 7-mana creatures since before mirrodin. I'm not even taking into consideration power level, what's more important is Emmara is simply a boring, poorly designed, un-fun card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
You don't need to do an efficiency study in order to not deliberately include in your deck what is arguably one of the worst 7-mana creatures since before mirrodin. I'm not even taking into consideration power level, what's more important is Emmara is simply a boring, poorly designed, un-fun card.

Certainly the creature is not amazing, but it definitely has an interesting ability that a lot of players will enjoy. It is no Hexplate Golem or Quilled Slagwurm or Axebane Stag though.

In my opinion, the card is poorly designed not because the ability isn't interesting, and not because the power level is low, but rather because the kind of deck that wants the ability probably doesn't want to run a 7 mana creature.

If they had thrown a few random abilities on it, like "Vigilance, Trample, Hexproof" on top of its current ability I don't think anyone would have complained, but the card would be just as poorly designed, I think.

That said, I look forward to resolving it in draft.

Edited to Add: Also the fact that it is a 5/7 elf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Master of Cruelties/Dwarven Warrior combo is interesting. Throw in a Banesfire, and it is endgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
Master of Cruelties/Dwarven Warrior combo is interesting. Throw in a Banesfire, and it is endgame.

I do not like combos that just flat out lose to any sorcery speed removal spell. Plus it strands you playing cards like Dwarven Warrior that worthless outside of the combo. Master of Cruelties is a little too much work for my tastes. It is a pretty sweet blocker, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Whispersilk Coat would work really well with Master of Cruelties and isn't a worthless card by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

No, not really. P/T is a measure of a creature's physical capabilities, and Teysa is just another example of bad development, as are almost all guild champions in Dragon's Maze. A 4/4 crippled cleric, a 5/7 elf shaman, and at the same time a 2/4 vampire (?!). The ability of a creature to defend/attack in non-physical ways are usually represented by printed abilities.
The fact that there is no other elf creature (that is not a huge mutant elf or riding some beast) or in the history of MtG with P/T greater than 3/3, is indicative.

Or Marhault Elsdragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.