Subject: All Data vs Core/New Runners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey fantastic Netrunner community,
Sorry if this has been asked before, in one form or another (already drinking), but just wanted some opinions.

Had an opportunity to sit down with a buddy for the sole purpose of playing Netrunner last night. I have 2 cores and all datas, to this point, and my friend only has the core, right now. In my excitement, I threw together a deck per faction, pulling from all cards. Would this make the game very unbalanced toward me? I am guessing yes, but on some level, I think the decks I threw together may have been too smart for their own good. In other words, having all those options might have just given me enough rope to hang mice elf with.

All our games were really close, but small advantages, like better cards in some areas, can make a big difference. Guessing I should only make decks with core, until my friend gets some data packs?

Also, (and again, already drinking) does the game favor the Corp with new players? The balance is there, but the runner side just doesn't seem as intuitive, to the noob brain.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont believe there is anything lost by introducing new cards to first time/ or newer players. But I will suggest that the game can be enjoyed andtaught well with just the core set. ... the two aaren't exclusive.

in general newer players win more often with corps. And very experienced players win more with runner. ... these sshouldn't affect early gamers experience with the game. So enjoy and don't worry about the balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I wouldn't say that the cards in the data packs are terribly complicated or "advanced" when compared to the core set. You'll definitely have more options and flexibility when building your decks, so that will give you some advantage in that arena--but if your main concern is about card complexity I wouldn't worry.

I would say that the game favors the Corp with new players, because it's a game of hidden information and the Corp knows everything. Brand new players don't have enough experience under their belts to make educated guesses about what ICE might be there, whether it's an asset or an upgrade, etc. (This is one area where having a wider array of cards that your opponent isn't familiar with will give you an advantage.) Also, new Runners are often too afraid to make runs until they have a full rig set up, which greatly advantages the Corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the 2 core sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
medievalbanquet wrote:
What are the 2 core sets?

There's only one core set; some people just buy multiple copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Early
msg tools
Ha I thought this thread was going to talk about building decks with just the data sets and playing vs decks just made from the core set I was all intrigued =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
psynight wrote:
Ha I thought this thread was going to talk about building decks with just the data sets and playing vs decks just made from the core set I was all intrigued =)

Now, that would be an interesting experiment! Probably a more interesting thread, too.

Thanks for the input guys. Kinda what I thought, bit I imagine the balance with more cards might be situational. Carapace (or not) against a Scorched Earth deck will probably make a bit of a difference. In our games, mistake plays made a much bigger difference, but me running Oversight AI, seemed to really make a difference. Maybe it just exacerbated the fear of running?

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
psynight wrote:

Not possible *yet*. There are no Killers in the expansions, so Rototurret will lock out any Server permanently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
enough rope to hang mice elf with

Best. Typo. Ever.
Also, yes I think having significantly more cards available provides at least a potential advantage, but that will likely be mitigated by (if by nothing else) your dru ken state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
beelzeben wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

Best. Typo. Ever.
Also, yes I think having significantly more cards available provides at least a potential advantage, but that will likely be mitigated by (if by nothing else) your dru ken state.

Believe it or not, that was purposeful. I just doubt too many here will get the reference. Hey, I major partied at Dru Ken State!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turnabout, as they say, is fair play. Go Dru Ken, woo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
beelzeben wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

Best. Typo. Ever.

Believe it or not, that was purposeful. I just doubt too many here will get the reference. Hey, I major partied at Dru Ken State!!

Kill mice elf brings the Drovers' song to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, hitting the way back machine with Sly Stone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_You_(Falettinme_Be_Mice_E...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.