Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Smoke to Fire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ahmad Lokman Ishak
Malaysia
JERTEH
TERENGGANU
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two quick questions:



In a three player game,

1) do I roll the dice

A) after one player take his turn
B) after all three players take their turn


2) do I turn the smoke to fire after

A) one player take his turn and after rolling the dice
B) one player take his turn and before rolling the dice
B) all three players take their turn

Which one?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. After each player's turn.

2. Smoke turns to fire when you roll on a smoke space, or when smoke is adjacent to fire.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Petersen
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick answer:
1) A
2) A
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
loudtwist wrote:
Two quick questions:



In a three player game,

1) do I roll the dice

A) after one player take his turn
B) after all three players take their turn


After each player takes their turn, roll for smoke.


Quote:
2) do I turn the smoke to fire after

A) one player take his turn and after rolling the dice
B) one player take his turn and before rolling the dice
B) all three players take their turn

Which one?

Thanks!


1) Roll for smoke.
2) If that space is one fire, it explodes outward (resolve).
3) If that space is smoking, it turns to fire.
4) If that space has no smoke or fire, add a smoke token.
5) All smoke adjacent to fire gets flipped to fire. Continue until there is no smoke adjacent to fire anywhere on the board. This is called the flashover.
6) If playing with hot spots, and a hot spot was rolled, resolve by starting from step 1 again. Add a hot spot to the final space re-rolled from hot spots that doesn't have any (since hot spots can chain into lots of rolls).

And here's hoping I didn't get ninja'ed
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah there were two of them!

ninjaninja

My answer is more thorough though
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Lokman Ishak
Malaysia
JERTEH
TERENGGANU
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thenobleknave wrote:
Gah there were two of them!

ninjaninja

My answer is more thorough though


Yes, I believe yours are better I can now play with hot spots and moved from the basic gameplay! Thanks!

Thanks to all three people who answered my questions!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Carnage994 wrote:
1. After each player's turn.

2. Smoke turns to fire when you roll on a smoke space, or when smoke is adjacent to fire.

The bolded part is not completely accurate. Smoke turns to fire during the fire advancement phase when it is adjacent to fire, not at any other time during your turn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good clarification, Beaveman. That's the flashover phase, step 5 in my outline above.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart L
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
Carnage994 wrote:
1. After each player's turn.

2. Smoke turns to fire when you roll on a smoke space, or when smoke is adjacent to fire.

The bolded part is not completely accurate. Smoke turns to fire during the fire advancement phase when it is adjacent to fire, not at any other time during your turn.
Indeed.

For example: suppose that I'm standing next to fire with a victim, playing the rescue specialist, and I have 4 AP saved. I might:
(1) extinguish the fire to smoke (2 AP);
(2) drag the victim through the smoke to the other side (4 AP - 6 AP total, including this turn's "movement only" AP);
(3) drag the victim two more spaces, away from the immediate danger (4 AP - 10 AP total, leaving me with 1 AP saved for my next turn).

I could extinguish the smoke as well, and drag the victim only three spaces total - but if (say) this is the last victim, it may be advantageous to just drag him/her/it close to the door so another firefighter can finish the job. Sure, the smoke might well turn back into fire at the end of my turn, but I don't care; I've dragged the victim through. Or maybe three squares would leave the victim adjacent to fire, whilst four squares is enough to give me some room to breathe. Handwave, handwave, examples only, etc.

This is, of course, highly situational; under normal circumstances I prefer to extinguish fire completely if it's adjacent to other fires.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Lokman Ishak
Malaysia
JERTEH
TERENGGANU
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urm... Isn't that to change fire to smoke is only 1 AP? And isn't that we are limited to accumulate up to 8 AP only? How come you can have a total of 10 AP during a turn? Is that because you were playing as a specialist?

Is that a different rule than the basic rule? I just played basic so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
loudtwist wrote:
Urm... Isn't that to change fire to smoke is only 1 AP?

The rescue specialist pays double for extinguish actions.

Quote:
How come you can have a total of 10 AP during a turn? Is that because you were playing as a specialist?

The rescue specialist gets 3 extra AP for movement.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
loudtwist wrote:
...And isn't that we are limited to accumulate up to 8 AP only? How come you can have a total of 10 AP during a turn?...

The rule does not say that you are only able to accumulate up to 8 AP in a turn. The rule states that you can only save up to 4 AP from a previous turn. If you play with the specialist cards (part of the advanced rules), most of the specialists can end up with more than 8 AP for that turn.

Examples:
- Generalist has 5 AP, so they can end up with 9 AP on their next turn if you save 4.

- CAFS Firefighter only has 3 AP, but also gets 3 free AP that can only be used to extinguish smoke and fire. So if you save 4 AP, they could have 10 AP on their next turn (7 normal AP and 3 extinguish AP)

- Rescue Specialist has 4 AP, but also gets 3 free AP that can only be used for movement actions. So if you save 4 AP, they could have 11 AP on their next turn (8 normal AP and 3 movement AP)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
stuartl wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
Carnage994 wrote:
1. After each player's turn.

2. Smoke turns to fire when you roll on a smoke space, or when smoke is adjacent to fire.

The bolded part is not completely accurate. Smoke turns to fire during the fire advancement phase when it is adjacent to fire, not at any other time during your turn.
Indeed.

For example: suppose that I'm standing next to fire with a victim, playing the rescue specialist, and I have 4 AP saved. I might:
(1) extinguish the fire to smoke (2 AP);
(2) drag the victim through the smoke to the other side (4 AP - 6 AP total, including this turn's "movement only" AP);
(3) drag the victim two more spaces, away from the immediate danger (4 AP - 10 AP total, leaving me with 1 AP saved for my next turn).

I could extinguish the smoke as well, and drag the victim only three spaces total - but if (say) this is the last victim, it may be advantageous to just drag him/her/it close to the door so another firefighter can finish the job. Sure, the smoke might well turn back into fire at the end of my turn, but I don't care; I've dragged the victim through. Or maybe three squares would leave the victim adjacent to fire, whilst four squares is enough to give me some room to breathe. Handwave, handwave, examples only, etc.

This is, of course, highly situational; under normal circumstances I prefer to extinguish fire completely if it's adjacent to other fires.

Yep. Scenarios like this are exactly what I was thinking of. Also, when I first started playing I would not open doors or chop holes separating smoke from fire because I thought the smoke would immediately ignite as soon as that barrier was removed. Learning that I was wrong made a difference in some of my games!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Lokman Ishak
Malaysia
JERTEH
TERENGGANU
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I haven't touch any of the firemen character cards yet. I have only played the game three times. Maybe after my tenth games I will kick into advance mode!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
loudtwist wrote:
Wow, I haven't touch any of the firemen character cards yet. I have only played the game three times. Maybe after my tenth games I will kick into advance mode!

You could always work your way up to advanced mode gradually so you don't throw in too many new rules at once.

I started with just one or two games at the family level, and added most of the specialists (except the Driver/Operator) as well as Hazmat for my next few games. After I had that down, I added the Driver/Operator as well as both vehicles. And then after I had that figured out I added the hotspots.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.