Subject: Tribes and Prophecies expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that word is out on a new expansion (see here), what do you think will be included, both mechanic-wise and component-wise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
Now that word is out on a new expansion (see here), what do you think will be included, both mechanic-wise and component-wise?

A 5th player would be nice, though I'm not exactly sure how that might work. I suppose they could add a side board with some no-wait actions (like the start player space on the main board).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
My bet is that something will be placed on every other cog of the smaller wheels, since there's a small circle on those already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say I'm a big fan of the direction they are taking the cover art...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Foreign invaders perhaps?

Vikings, I think it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the board fits together as puzzle pieces, they could actually provide a new board panel that maybe includes 2 smaller interconnected gears (or even a much larger slower turning gear) that creates new rotational paths to place workers with new powers. That would be badass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Because the board fits together as puzzle pieces, they could actually provide a new board panel that maybe includes 2 smaller interconnected gears (or even a much larger slower turning gear) that creates new rotational paths to place workers with new powers. That would be badass.

I think my brain just exploded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:

That'll be an interesting design challenge, especially making it backward-compatible with both the original 4-part board and the newer 6-part board.

I gotta be honest, though; I don't really even see much need for an expansion to this game, but will be thrilled if they can successfully prove me wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

Vikings, I think it was.

That would be the Spanish, who pretty much crushed the Mayans underfoot by the end of the 17th Century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's got to include event cards of some sort. It looks like there are extra cards in the left of the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was one additional picture in the original article:

Looks a bit like variable player powers. Yaluk is some sort of Mayan lightning god, so it's probably part of the Prophecies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating. surprise
But I hope the game will still be balanced with this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a three dimensional board where you can promote a worker from existing level 1 gears up to a higher level gears using the right combination of resources/actions. More gears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Double Dan wrote:
How about a three dimensional board where you can promote a worker from existing level 1 gears up to a higher level gears using the right combination of resources/actions. More gears!

Too much painting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

Vikings, I think it was.

That would be the Spanish, who pretty much crushed the Mayans underfoot by the end of the 17th Century.

Ummm...no. The Mayan civilization declined centuries before the Spanish arrived. You're thinking of the Aztecs. (Of course, that doesn't mean that the Mayan PEOPLE disappeared. In fact, they're still there. Hmmm...game idea! My next one will be about the Zapatistas...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I was thinking of both. I'm well aware that "classic" Mayan civilization collapsed long before the arrival of the Spanish for a variety of reasons, but I was only replying to the post in which it was suggested that the Vikings were a factor. They weren't; the Spanish were, at least in the later years of Mayan dominance of the Yucatan peninsula.

The wikipedia entry for "Mayan civilization" is an interesting read, regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
gabrielcohn wrote:
MisterG wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

Vikings, I think it was.

Ummm...no. The Mayan civilization declined centuries before the Spanish arrived. You're thinking of the Aztecs. (Of course, that doesn't mean that the Mayan PEOPLE disappeared. In fact, they're still there. Hmmm...game idea! My next one will be about the Zapatistas...)

Well ok, I admit to mentioning Vikings simply because they are always a treat to have in board games.

However, it was mean of you both to trample on my version of history. Remember, the Vikings enjoyed travelling and “putting it about” in foreign places. Can you be absolutely sure that they never interacted with the peoples of Central America, around this time period? It’s the kind of thing they would have loved to have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
However, it was mean of you both to trample on my version of history. Remember, the Vikings enjoyed travelling and “putting it about” in foreign places. Can you be absolutely sure that they never interacted with the peoples of Central America, around this time period? It’s the kind of thing they would have loved to have done.

Admittedly, it would make for a great piece of fiction, wouldn't it!? And I hope you know there was no intention of meanness. I suppose it is possible that one or more errant Vikings may have ended up in Meso-America, but if they did, I'm betting none of them ever made it back home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear they are already working on the next expansion:

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - Zombies & Pirates

Anything for a buck. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to create a new thread, but I did want people watching the base-game forum to know that I just created a poll asking what you think the best and worst tribes are in the expansion. Pick three for each!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14214377

More opinions are better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.