Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Kent
United States
Houston
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been on the fence on if I would buy this game, but have not.
I finally put my finger on why.

I feel like Thunderstone Advance is just a fix for the original Thunderstone. Why should I have to buy a game twice to get a good version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it as an expansion set that improves some aspects of the basic mechanics.

After all, it's mostly new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikus42 wrote:
I have been on the fence on if I would buy this game, but have not.
I finally put my finger on why.

I feel like Thunderstone Advance is just a fix for the original Thunderstone. Why should I have to buy a game twice to get a good version?

To be honest I felt much the same, but it is worth the upgrade. I suppose the alternative would have been for AEG to never have bother improving the game. I sold off all my old cards and now just have the advanced sets. One of my favourite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crouch
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the original version exactly once - and hated it. My main complaint was in how difficult it was to get a hand that you could go into the dungeon with.

Then Thunderstone Advance came along and I tried again. Night and Day as far as I'm concerned. The rule revisions fixed everything I hated about the original and now the game has become a favorite instead.

I still won't play the original version, but that no longer matters. The new version (and it's expansions) are great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two years of experience with a game will eventually point out all it's flaws. Especially those that are easily missed on the initial Dev cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would see it as getting it for new cards and starting decks to add to your collection.

Rules wise, you can implement the new rules straight to the base game. If I am not wrong, the only thing they added was the prepare action where instead of town/rest/dungeon, you discard how many cards you want and draw back to 6. Easily implemented for prev versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.