Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://et.tv.yahoo.com/newslink/13693/

Boy, does that suck. It's the best show on, or at least in the top three.

It's gone after this season is over. I was hoping they were planning to make a fresh start with a new administration next season. Guess not.

Also, I did not realize that John Spencer had died. He played former chief of staff and vice-presidential nominee, Leo McGarry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that the show had been one of the best series on TV, but it was in trouble long before Spencer died... For me it lost most of its sparkle and fire when Aaron Sorkin handed his writing duties off to the clowns. The scripts-by-committee that came out for the subsequent seasons felt cursory, and wasted the effect that could have been made of the immediate events AS had been building towards (John Goodman as republican president, government shutdown, etc); and while they did eventually get better, were never truly as engaging as any early-season plotlines, finally limping along to an election for two presidential candidates nobody could really get that excited over.
Originally appointment television for me, I watched it only occasionally the past few seasons, but finally lost track of it altogether when it moved to the Sunday Slot of Death.

I guess I feel worse for what might have been than for this pain-wracked, crippled racehorse finally being taken out of its misery... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it jumped the shark for me with the "live debate" intertwined with an Ellen Degeneris commercial for some crap that I had a hard time fast forwarding quickly enough with TiVo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
It's the best show on...

The best show on is Perfect Hair Forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. It was the best scripted show on television (live baseball games top the list). And I even liked it after Sorkin was booted and Wells took over. I, too, didn't care all that much for the live debate (though it was not a total waste of time), but I still try to find it in that Sunday Slot of Death (though I miss more often than not).

Josh, it jumped the shark when Leo went crazy and tried to take over the government and then got canned and C.J. became Bartlett's chief of staff and all her underlings disappeared one after another. But it's still better than any other show on the major networks or the pay cable channels.

I do hope they accellerate the election and let us know who wins before they are off the air. Just so we know who would have been the headliner next year had it not been extended. Gotta admit, Alda's a much better actor than Smits, but he's aligned with the wrong party in the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
pronoblem wrote:
It's the best show on...

Rubric wrote:

The best show on is Perfect Hair Forever.

Randy Cox wrote:
Yep. It was the best scripted show on television (live baseball games top the list).

You're all way off...it's pretty obviously (and inarguably) THE GILMORE GIRLS.

But this one's a loss as well - I think it lost consistentcy just after Zoe was kidnapped, but I think the election storyline did a very nice job of refreshing the show and going interesting places...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I'll miss it myself... The writing may not be perfect but the scripts are way better than anything else out there. As to who will win, it's pretty clear.

Santos (the SAINT) will of course defeat Vinick (the VILLIAN). The live debate thing pretty much gave it away, as Vinick had to say some pretty awful things to ensure that the fictional populace wouldn't go for him. For example, in response to "How many jobs will you create in your term?" Vinick sneers and says "ZERO! In fact, I'm going to get rid of government jobs!" That cut right to my unemployed soul.

The funny thing is, over the course of the last season I've come to the conclusion that I'd have voted for EITHER fictional candidate over either of the real candidates we had last election.

nuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo Smith
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
Vie by Victory Point Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was fun while it lasted.

I stopped watching after Aaron Sorkin stopped working on it show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.