United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I was expecting a nerf for Castle Daerion, but not one for the Overlord cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
"Rulebook, page 16, “Large Monsters”: Add, “When interrupting a large
monster’s movement to perform an action, the overlord must be able to
declare the action that the large monster will perform before placing the
monster’s figure on the map.”"

For this one, does that mean that they are changing the rule so that the zero-move pivot-interrupt isn't valid any more? I really don't get what this is trying to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the precision about large monsters as a way of preventing "free" expansion: there must be a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
krunsH himself
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holy.... the overlord card nerfs of bloodlust and reinforce hit me right in the nuts surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why the nerf?why?
are some people playing this game really?

Overlord need a real boost.
With 4 heroes,he is very weak (the reinforcement rule doesn't work with 4 heroes,i can't understand how this has not been fixed yet).

Reinforcement card is garbage now...
why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
nerfing unholy ritual down to that is also really unnessessary, max card of 4 would have been fitting but 2? 4-9 actions for 2 cards? 1 to replace the ritual and 1 additionally? what the heck!

bloodlust nerf was okay but reinforce remade to this totally makes it worse... without rise again it is now totally useless and in many encounters shift the balance towards the heroes even more .... dislike this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
I see the precision about large monsters as a way of preventing "free" expansion: there must be a reason.

free rotation, attacking from spaces not adjacent of heroes with melee monsters and more, this new rule GREATLY limit ol movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question of the extent to which internal walls, such as those in part 1 of Fat Goblin, block LOS has still not been fully addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
"Rulebook, page 16, “Large Monsters”: Add, “When interrupting a large
monster’s movement to perform an action, the overlord must be able to
declare the action that the large monster will perform before placing the
monster’s figure on the map.”"

For this one, does that mean that they are changing the rule so that the zero-move pivot-interrupt isn't valid any more? I really don't get what this is trying to say.

Yes.

To perform a melee attack for instance, a monster has to be adjacent to the targeted hero in its reduced state, before it expands.

Guard has regained its usefulness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these are all good fixes. I only wish FFG would print corrected copies of the Overlord cards and send them to me. Because until then I just have to "remember". I'm certainly not going to deface my cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, they gave Palamon a move speed, but is he now able to move since there's no mention of his movement in the quest guide?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Sethala wrote:
Hm, they gave Palamon a move speed, but is he now able to move since there's no mention of his movement in the quest guide?

Reread the section, he gets a move action after he rallies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
nerfing unholy ritual down to that is also really unnessessary, max card of 4 would have been fitting but 2? 4-9 actions for 2 cards? 1 to replace the ritual and 1 additionally? what the heck!

bloodlust nerf was okay but reinforce remade to this totally makes it worse... without rise again it is now totally useless and in many encounters shift the balance towards the heroes even more .... dislike this.

The Unholy Ritual nerf isn't that bad. There still is a lot of power in cycling through your deck really quickly. Play a good card at the beginning, Unholy Ritual on Kobolds, and now you have two more cards in your hand and seven more in your discard. Do it again next turn and you can reshuffle. The way it is now seems more in line with a 1 XP cost to me, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, reinforce was so good that people often voiced opinion that it single handily made Warlord so good all other overlord classes were useless.

If anything nerf to reinforce should make all classes more viable choice.

Also, this can make small monsters more useful when one has reinforce, increasing instances in which small monsters are better choice than big monsters.

Quote:
Q: When exactly can cards that are used “during your turn” be used?
A: Any skill or ability that can be used “during your turn” can only be
used during the Perform Actions step of a hero’s turn. A hero cannot use
these skills or abilities at the start of his turn or at the end of his turn.

Oh, I see they changed it since I asked that question

Overall some good choices on fixes, and we have to play Castle Daerion now to see if the balance is now good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat M.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning the new Immobilize rule; if I understand rigthly, a hero can still burn all his fatigue, move, and if Web-trapped he can still finish his movement, as his remaining movement points were not generated by a move action. Right ?

Now what happens if a hero burns fatigue, then declares a move action and then is Web-trapped during movement? Are all remaining movement points reduced to Zero, even the ones generated by fatigue ?

I suppose that the solution for a hero in this case would be to first fatigue-move, then after fatigue-move is completed, declare a move action in order to minimize the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why I get the feeling after reading the FAQ that the overlord becomes less and less a player and more and more a DM.

Kudos for the rewritting of 'Reinforce', now it's balanced. But be careful in the next expansion about new ability : If 'Blast' came back in the game, this card will become completly useless.
Wait a sec ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with their theory of reducing Reinforce's power to put it more in line with other card power levels, but their choice of how to do it is pretty terrible. Requiring the master monster on the board is severely limiting and in fact will probably end in the card being unusuable a good portion of the time due to intelligent play by the heroes. It was always most useful in encounters with no reinforcements already, so obviously all the heroes need to do is kill the master in one round (rarely difficult) and the card becomes wasted space. This is completely ignoring the fact that having to reinforce at END of turn and ALSO all adjacent to the master means often the heroes can just slaughter them handily on their following round.

I would have vastly preferred a different card entirely for the Warlord's 3xp card. This game's reinforcement rules create a situation where anything that gives you permanent monsters in addition to quest rules is vastly preferred, and frankly creates some seriously wonky balance situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Zervakis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, can't say I like the new changes. Certainly Palamon should have had 2 grey dice from the beginning, maybe also 'unmovable' instead of 4 speed now. As far as realism can go in such a boardgame, it would have been better if his action was to fight back his attackers instead of being a wailing damsel in distress running around. Encounter 1 with villagers' health of 6 is not that hard to pull off for heroes. Unless they're going for adding a possibility to save 4/4, which is impossible, I see no real need for it.
The changes on the OL cards will need to be put to test. I don't really like them, but 'Reinforce' was certainly a powerful card that needed to be scaled down a bit. I just don't like the way it did though.
All in all, I somehow get the 'feel' that backwards compatibility with 1st edition stuff brought forth some choices too chaotic to have been foreseen (ie see Kobolds in Daerion) that now FFG will have to reconsider and still pay close attention in future expansions. Maybe it would have been better to declare it as a new dungeon-crawler series and be done with the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat M.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reinforcement was probably the only "overpowered" Overlord card. Toning it down is a good thing, so it is effectively more in line with the defensive nature (for the Overlord) of the game. However monster attack values and attack abilities have become even less useful than they already were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Reinforcement now is way over-nerfed for a 3XP card, I think. It requires the master monster to be alive, and it doesn't let the new monsters take an action before they get slaughtered (especially if the heroes get something with Blast).

The change to how large monster movement is also kind of confusing, and I wish they had an example of what they meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
The change to how large monster movement is also kind of confusing, and I wish they had an example of what they meant.

They mean no more zero-point movement... This is easiest explained by imagining a shadow dragon that shrinks down for movement... Under the pre-errata rules, the dragon could declare an attack action during this movement and expand so that post-expansion it was now adjacent to a hero even though the shrunk down square had not been adjacent to a hero... Under the post-errata rules, the shrunk down dragon has to be adjacent to a hero before expanding to attack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This also means no more abusing rules by smart Overlords. Before large monsters could ignore all hero skills and abilities that activated when monster enters space adjacent to you(which made them pretty useless).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
This also means no more abusing rules by smart Overlords. Before large monsters could ignore all hero skills and abilities that activated when monster enters space adjacent to you(which made them pretty useless).

I said that rule was "too stupid to live." I like their fix for it, though using Nimble to back off out of reach seems still not to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right.

Let's say the hero has nimble and stands on H spot, while shrunk monster stands on M spot. Let's assume that the shrunk monster has only 1 movement point left.

-----
XHXXX
XXXMX
-----

When the M moves 1 space towards H the H can use his nimble and ends up there:

-----
HXXXX
XXMXX
-----

Now the M has no movement points left and can expand like this:
-----
HMMMX
XMMMX
-----
And he can attack now, because his 2nd action starts now and it's not interrupting the first.

BUT it's still better than old ruling because before FAQ it would work like this:
-------
XHXXMMMX
XXXXMMMX
-------

M shrinks
-------
XHXXMXXX
XXXXXXXX
-------
M expands and attacks
-------
XHMMMXXX
XXMMMXXX
-------
M attacked and has 3 movement points left. After FAQ the M after shrinking has to move 2 times, then the hero uses nimble, then regardless of whenever overlord moves 1 more space or expands immediately(ending his move action) he won't be able to move even single space after attacking H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.