Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board games can offer many benefits for families article featuring Tom Vasel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865578386/Board-games-can...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
(and also Michael Mindes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And featuring Michael Mindes, which is not surprising given the paper the article showed up in. Bonus points if you know why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
curtc wrote:
And featuring Michael Mindes, which is not surprising given the paper the article showed up in. Bonus points if you know why.

Local connection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
curtc wrote:

Local connection?

The paper is not even from the same state in which Mindes lives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Heh heh -- I know! But I also share a particular microbadge that also gives it away... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This article makes boardgaming seem about as fun as drinking fish oil. Then again, I'm probably not nearly as family-oriented as the intended audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
This article makes boardgaming seem about as fun as drinking fish oil. Then again, I'm probably not nearly as family-oriented as the intended audience.

I don't think the problem is you. But I can't say any more without violating Thumper's sage advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mrblueesq wrote:
curtc wrote:

Heh heh -- I know! But I also share a particular microbadge that also gives it away... whistle

Gah, this is so hard...why don't you all put the microbadge that would reflect this as one of your main 5?

EDIT: The Church doesn't have a registry of game designers, does it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
EDIT: The Church doesn't have a registry of game designers, does it?

Close enough. Deseret News is owned by "The Church".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice read except:
Quote:
When it comes to finding the perfect board games for your family, Vasel suggests considering imports and games made by smaller companies. One popular site where smaller companies share their ideas for board games is Kickstarter, a funding platform for creative projects.
Really???

You really think the kind of people who still need to be told the contents of that article should look on Kickstarter for their *perfect* game? If countless experienced gamers have trouble separating the wheat from the chaff already you really think this is *the* place for John Doe to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
Nice read except:
Quote:
When it comes to finding the perfect board games for your family, Vasel suggests considering imports and games made by smaller companies. One popular site where smaller companies share their ideas for board games is Kickstarter, a funding platform for creative projects.
Really???

You really think the kind of people who still need to be told the contents of that article should look on Kickstarter for their *perfect* game? If countless experienced gamers have trouble separating the wheat from the chaff already you really think this is *the* place for John Doe to go?

It's really not surprising that Mr. "Kickstarter is more important than Essen" is selling Kickstarter so hard, he gets paid to shill game videos for scores of KS projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Kempeth wrote:
Nice read except:
Quote:
Really???

You're reading that wrong:

Vasel says...
When it comes to finding the perfect board games for your family, Vasel suggests considering imports and games made by smaller companies.

Then the reporter says...
One popular site where smaller companies share their ideas for board games is Kickstarter, a funding platform for creative projects.

It's the reporter making the suggestion of kickstarter, not Vasel.

Hanlon's Razor, folks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, I said "not-Hasbro", which to most people translates as "smaller companies."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
Kempeth wrote:
Nice read except:
Quote:
Really???

Vasel says...
When it comes to finding the perfect board games for your family, Vasel suggests considering imports and games made by smaller companies.

One popular site where smaller companies share their ideas for board games is Kickstarter, a funding platform for creative projects.

It's the reporter making the suggestion of kickstarter, not Vasel.

Hanlon's Razor, folks...

Stop derailing a typical Vasel-bashing with reading comprehension, David.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

Vasel says...

TomVasel wrote:
Basically, I said "not-Hasbro", which to most people translates as "smaller companies."

bippi wrote:

I see the chain of events that led to it, and I can't blame anyone for it, but the end result is just a horrible, horrible piece of advice that appears to be directing newcomers to Kickstarter.

Can you contact the author and ask him to change it so that it doesn't have that effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan, a tiny article in a small paper (who reads those anyway?) isn't going to ruin anyone's life. Additionally, I have a lot of non-gamer friends who have backed awful kickstarter projects, received the games, and had lots of fun being part of the whole process - including enjoying the awful games shake As much as I'd like to shake them and tell them they've been duped, who am I to ruin someone's fun.

So new people heading to kickstarter isn't awful. They might stumble upon something good while they are there. Who knows. It's like people who get into gamign through (shudder) muchkin.

Sometimes the wrong path can lead to the right destination!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with new people going to Kickstarter. A lot of good games come from Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Bryan, a tiny article in a small paper (who reads those anyway?) isn't going to ruin anyone's life.

Considering that it only takes a simple email to make the request, that it continues to live on "on the net", and that Tom cares about whether people believe that he said this or not, it seems easy enough to try and get it fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
I don't have a problem with new people going to Kickstarter. A lot of good games come from Kickstarter.

Perhaps. But there are a lot of bad games on Kickstarter too. I think newcomers are going to end up having a better experience going to their FLGS than they are going to Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

I think newcomers are going to end up having a better experience going to their FLGS than they are going to Kickstarter.

I wouldn't go THAT far. Kickstarter is pretty lame and has a greater-than-average share of lousy games. But FLGS employees are, by and large, NOT the type of people who should be giving families advice on simple games to enjoy together. They'll either have no idea, or suggest Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:

Funny. I sure haven't found any
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Bryan, a tiny article in a small paper (who reads those anyway?) isn't going to ruin anyone's life. Additionally, I have a lot of non-gamer friends who have backed awful kickstarter projects, received the games, and had lots of fun being part of the whole process - including enjoying the awful games shake As much as I'd like to shake them and tell them they've been duped, who am I to ruin someone's fun.

So new people heading to kickstarter isn't awful. They might stumble upon something good while they are there. Who knows. It's like people who get into gamign through (shudder) muchkin.

Sometimes the wrong path can lead to the right destination!

You raise a good point... for instance, for as much as we bash Zombies and Munchkin, it certainly does have a pretty big freakin' fanbase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
TomVasel wrote:

Perhaps. But there are a lot of bad games on Kickstarter too. I think newcomers are going to end up having a better experience going to their FLGS than they are going to Kickstarter.

From an aggregate BGG rating perspective, there sure are a lot of "terrible" games at my FLGS (Brookhurst Hobbies, CA). They have a huge selection and the vast majority are stinkers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
I think newcomers are going to end up having a better experience going to their FLGS than they are going to Kickstarter.

From an aggregate BGG rating perspective, there sure are a lot of "terrible" games at my FLGS (Brookhurst Hobbies, CA). They have a huge selection and the vast majority are stinkers...

Even so, a family can come in, buy a game and go home and play it. And there's a good chance it'll be a somewhat decent game.

If you send them to kickstarter, the first thing they have to do is learn how to do kickstarter. Why are we sending them to this odd online site where they don't buy a game, but put money possibly towards a game? That they get later on? Or maybe not. This is not the way to convert new people to gaming.

Nobody is going to start the sales pitch like this "Hey, wanna join this great hobby and play great games, and not just the lame games you knew as a kid, but some really fun and interesting stuff?" And the follow it up with this: "Well just pledge $100 bucks to this project and if it gets funded, why you'll have a game in just a few months. And maybe it'll even be a good game!"

Kickstarter is something that the board game enthusiast should do. It's not a way to introduce someone to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.