11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Training a Train Gamer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My six year old son is an avid Ticket to Rid fan. He plays well and has developed some strategy to win although he does need some help. What are some other good "train" games that a young boy might like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Transamerica?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but I've heard great things about Trains which is being reprinted soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World

It comes with a Mexico map, intended as a 2-player map. If you can get others to the table you can bump up and play the Eastern US map.

Good game. My family caught on quick and agree it's a great next step after Ticket to Ride.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That one sounds great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Express
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Railways of the World is great, but I think it may be a bit much for a six year old. It's a pretty big step up in strategy, plus it adds financing and bidding, both of which will be a challenge for the average six year old to grasp.

It also adds money, which is great for math building skills. But the denominations for both the currency and bonds are in the thousands.

You might be able to remove some of the complexity, but my recommendation is to wait a couple of years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Builder or one of the other Crayon Rail games. They can be adjusted to help with younger players. And nothings cooler than drawing on the board while you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 that RotW is probably too much. Not only from a strategic standpoint, but game time is significantly longer.

Ticket to Ride: Märklin adds a good layer of pick up & deliver to TtR. Setup is a bit fiddly, but it adds another element to an already familiar mechanic.

Kings of Air and Steam may be worth looking into. It's a bit lighter and quicker than RotW, but the action planning may be tricky initially.

The Great Heartland Hauling Co. or Railways of the World: The Card Game may be worth looking into as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Abbott
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Two more suggestions Days of Steam and Station Master
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
NevoGamer wrote:
Railways of the World is great, but I think it may be a bit much for a six year old. It's a pretty big step up in strategy, plus it adds financing and bidding, both of which will be a challenge for the average six year old to grasp.

It also adds money, which is great for math building skills. But the denominations for both the currency and bonds are in the thousands.

You might be able to remove some of the complexity, but my recommendation is to wait a couple of years.

Six year olds can count in thousands. I suggest the first few plays without the auction and without baron cards. I played with my 5 year old this way as well, so we could play with 3. He didn't 'get it' but had a good time. My 7 year old was a missed delivery away from beating me outright.

No railroad executive cards allowed when you remove bidding for turn order, as well.

I think the most important thing is that your six year old will most likely have a great time building rails between cities and moving goods. Who doesn't want to do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.