16 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Painted Pieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tunaman21 21
msg tools
mb
Does anyone know where i could purchase painted pieces? I've looked all over and can't find anything. Any help that anyone could provide would be great!
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes indivdiual stores know people who do painting work for cost -- so if you have a copy of the game, that might be a way to approach it.

Otherwise, there was a collector's edition of the game, it occasionally comes up on eBay, but as I understand, it retailed for around $1000, so it would probably be upwards from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Glen is right, you will have to find someone to paint up your set for you if you don't want to tackle it yourself (certainly understandable!). There are companies that do just that and they are pretty reasonable for the entry level paint jobs although there are LOTS of minis for WotR so getting the whole set painted ain't gonna be cheap. There is usually a copy or two of the collector's edition on eBay but you won't score one in good shape for less than $1500 and its more likely that you'll have to pay $1800-$2000 for a sealed copy. I've been watching the auctions for months now and my spending limit is $1000 and the closest to that I've seen one go for was $1250 for the buy it now price, I contemplated snapping that one up but it was gone the next morning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thesmallman wrote:
Sometimes indivdiual stores know people who do painting work for cost -- so if you have a copy of the game, that might be a way to approach it.

Otherwise, there was a collector's edition of the game, it occasionally comes up on eBay, but as I understand, it retailed for around $1000, so it would probably be upwards from there.

CE actually retailed for around $400, which seems an incredible bargain now. Of course it was hard to come by and very limited to begin with. Now you are looking at close to $2K.

To the OP: have you considered just doing a quick dip, or a spray job (ie, each nationality their own color)? I am assuming you ask because you either don't paint or don;t wish to invest this kind of time (both understandable), but the dip or spray methods are fairly easy and quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tunaman21 21
msg tools
mb
Thank you all for your responses. You are all correct on your assumptions,I do not paint and not enough time to try (I work 60 hrs a week and I have a pregnant wife, I think she would kill me if i was spending hours in the garage painting little plastic figures Im lucky to even get time to play the game itself right now

I was wondering if you knew the names of any of these company's or websites that do the painting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Paintedfigs.com I just had them paint mine. I was in the same boat, work way too much, along with two kids, a wife, and a 280 gallon saltwater reef tank :-) Paintedfigs has several tiers of detailing so you can manipulate the price. I am very pleased with them! I paid about $450 I wanted to buy a CE but I could not rationalize paying $1500+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyuss242 wrote:
Paintedfigs.com I just had them paint mine. I was in the same boat, work way too much, along with two kids, a wife, and a 280 gallon saltwater reef tank :-) Paintedfigs has several tiers of detailing so you can manipulate the price. I am very pleased with them! I paid about $450 I wanted to buy a CE but I could not rationalize paying $1500+.

Nice. Do you have any pictures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
Kyuss242 wrote:

Nice. Do you have any pictures?

I second that request. I'd like to see some pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will take some pictures tomorrow :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tunaman21 21
msg tools
mb
Nice!!! Thanks for the info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here you go!

https://picasaweb.google.com/105582963113829861589/JoshuaKrz...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyuss242 wrote:

Wow, those look amazing Joshua! They look nicer even than the CE set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered painting my set and selling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I've considered painting my set and selling it.

You would find buyers I am sure, I really wanted to paint it myself but I just did not have the time and I refused to play the game until the pieces were painted. So I got impatient and outsourced it. I am very very pleased with the work of Paintedfigs.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ZillaGod wrote:
Kyuss242 wrote:

Wow, those look amazing Joshua! They look nicer even than the CE set.

Thanks John! I was soo close to buying a CE edition but I just could not rationalize paying $1500 for a set. I knew one of my friends would let it slip to my wife how much I paid and I would never hear the end of it. (even though I work side consulting jobs to pay for my addiction) I am so glad I went this route. Each mini was individually wrapped in foam for the return shipment home. Navin, the owner of paintedfigs.com was awesome, communicated very well keeping me updated on the status and sending me pics to ok before shipping them back.

I just checked my invoice and I paid $564 for all of them painted. I did several different tiers. The fellowship, Nazgul, Mouth of Sauron, and the Witch King, were all painted at the second to highest tier. The leaders and Elite were painted at the 3rd tier, while the regulars were at the 4th tier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.