Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm back, looking for some quick suggestions. My game group seems to vary in numbers from time to time. Currently, it looks like we're up to larger numbers again, and I'm looking for games that can accomodate 7 or so players.

Last night I brought a few games along to game night, figuring on 7 players. We ended up only playing one game twice, 7 Wonders. Just to give you an idea of our group, 7 Wonders is the game we play most often. I have a couple hundred games, but without a doubt, 7 Wonders gets played more than any other.

A few other games that I had brought along for 7 players that got some interest are Formula D (which we'll probably play next time), Shadows over Camelot (which some in our group love, and some dislike because of our past win/lose record), and Bohnanza (which we've never tried with that large of a group). We also enjoy Citadels, by the way.

So, quick suggestions for 7-8 players would be helpful. Now for the footnotes:

1) We don't care much for social games. The traitor in Shadows over Camelot is as far as we go. We didn't care much for The Resistance.

2) Being able to play in teams of 2 (if and when we get 8 players) would be awesome. We really liked playing teams in 7 Wonders, and the idea of pairing racers in Formula D and using team scoring sounds appealing. The team thing isn't necessary, just something that'd be cool.

EDIT: Added Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played:
Saboteur
Cosmic Encounter needs two of the three expansions to extend from the original 3-5 to 3-7 players.
Dixit Odyssey
The Resistance:Avalon is similar, but some characters have special abilities, so it might take off better than the plain Resistance. Or not.
Ricochet Robots

Edit: Red November is for 1-8 players, but so far we have played with only upto 6 players, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard teams and 7-8 players and I though Arkham horror. It is a co-op game so you guys would all be on a team against the board. The game play mechanics are similar to RPGs and although a game could get long, it plays out in one session as opposed to RPGs. As many others have mentioned in the thread; it plays best with one person who takes the initiative to thoroughly understand the rules and execute them for everyone else during play.

Although you said you don't like social games, our group usually pulls out cards against humanity if the group gets too large, or splits into 2 strategy games. If the girls aren't around, we play a giant melee game of MTG(or even draft or have a tournament) when we have too many people(they don't like MTG as much).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo?

City of Horror

edit: those are both 6 max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
I heard teams and 7-8 players and I though Arkham horror. It is a co-op game so you guys would all be on a team against the board. The game play mechanics are similar to RPGs and although a game could get long, it plays out in one session as opposed to RPGs. As many others have mentioned in the thread; it plays best with one person who takes the initiative to thoroughly understand the rules and execute them for everyone else during play.

Arkham Horror kind of flopped with us. I think the setup and game length really spelled it's doom. On the other hand, Elder Sign went OK in the larger group.

Quote:
Although you said you don't like social games, our group usually pulls out cards against humanity if the group gets too large, or splits into 2 strategy games. If the girls aren't around, we play a giant melee game of MTG(or even draft or have a tournament) when we have too many people(they don't like MTG as much).

Yes, Magic would be awesome! Even the girls would play. But the problems we've faced in the past are unbalanced decks and the 'free for all' chaos of it. Maybe we'll have to work on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hugely interested in the answers and suggestions you will get as I'm facing the same problem, we generally start our gaming night beeing 4 or 5 players and as time pass, phones are ringing a lot, new friends and/or girlfriends are joining us then our group quickly become a 7 or 8 players group.

The only game I have that can be played with 7 players is 7 wonders! Thanks god its a good game because this is the only game I played in the last 3 months.

We never played any coop games and we're not really interested in it...thats limiting the choice a bit.

I've heard good things about Nuns On The Run, I will certainly give it a try in near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

This one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Mintkawetz
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longshot supports up to 8, and we really like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Applegate
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Magic

If you want to have a big crazy multiplayer game, and worry about deck balance, then go out and buy a few thousand commons (maybe $20-30) and build a draft cube (i.e. a big box of cards used just for such an occasion). You can either do a preliminary draft for decks (each player gets three 15-card packs, then drafts a la 7 Wonders), or just give everyone the same amount of random cards, and they have to build their deck with that only limited pool of cards (+ basic lands, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pandora Pandora
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently asked the same question and got some good responses - you may want to check out this thread: Games for seven?
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 players is pushing a limit for most games out there, very few support anywhere near that much. Set works well for a lot of people but is a simple card game. Zombie/Martian Dice work well too but is also rather simple. +1 Arkham Horror if you can work together well in a co-op game. If not A Touch of Evil offers a similar game with competitive play. I love the original Wiz-War which could play up to 8 with expansions. You could get the few print and play versions out there for that. Cowboys: The Way of the Gun is a good shoot'em up game you might enjoy too. RoboRally is for sure a fun and wacky game that supports up to 8. Killer Bunnies can be some light wackiness too. Loot is a solid but short card game. Chunky Fighters is a great print and play that is a lot of fun and can be bought from Print and Play Productions. Slapshot is a fun hocky management card game that has a fun print and play variant too. Rivers, Roads & Rails disguises itself as a game for younguns but can be very cutthroat and challenging. Duel of Ages is a must try for a larger group as the game itself is great and can support a lot. Clay-o-rama might also be a fun battle game for your group. There are a lot more but jump in with some of those and see how they fare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon miles
United Kingdom
liverpool
merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This:Outpost Our gaming group are big fans of this.
I have only played with between 3-5 players so cannot advise on games with bigger numbers, but it is an excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like race games like Formula De, you could try TurfMaster, a very good, quite tactical horse racing game. Up to 8 players.

If you have a lot of time, you could go for Civilization, playbale with 7 (or 8 with expansion) and a fascinating game.
You'll need about 6-8 hours with 7 to play it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some recent new ones:
Kings of Air and Steam
VivaJava: The Coffee Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy High
United States
Brentwood
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can get expensive if you really want to go all-out, and it's a dexterity game, but I think we've had more fun with PitchCar than just about anything else with 7-8 people. Even the base game plays up to 8; the expansions just add more track. Been a huge hit with everyone I've played it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a quick decision and decided to go with King of Tokyo and the expansion which adds a 7th player. I hope they like it. It seems like something we'll enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the king of tokyo expension officially add a 7th player? Its not what the game page said on BGG.

Can someone confirm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neverlooz wrote:
Is the king of tokyo expension officially add a 7th player? Its not what the game page said on BGG.

Can someone confirm?

Nothing official but there are a variety of variants that use up to 8 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Driver 8 wrote:
I made a quick decision and decided to go with King of Tokyo and the expansion which adds a 7th player. I hope they like it. It seems like something we'll enjoy.

The expansion doesn't technically support a 7th player, we tried it regardless and it really didn't work, just hits a total stalemate, staying in Tokyo for an entire round is nearly impossible.

I probably wouldn't do it again, but if I did I'd add a third Tokyo space and double (at least) the reward for staying in Tokyo a whole round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard there is too much downtime and chaos with six.

Take a look at the two games I recommended. They are heavier games that play seven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...I wanted to get King of Tokyo anyway, but perhaps I'll just play it with 4 or 5 for now and explore other 7 player game options instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Durf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one, the only, Diplomacy

If you have 7 players, this is the only game I would play with that number.

Any more and the Resistance and Mafia would be my go to games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orcflesh wrote:
This:Outpost Our gaming group are big fans of this.
I have only played with between 3-5 players so cannot advise on games with bigger numbers, but it is an excellent game.

I agree (I'm one of Simon's opponents), but bear in mind the game length is a function of the number of players. I like the larger numbers as it creates a more active game, but unless people can keep a reasonable pace going you are looking at over 3 hours with 7 players. The best solution would be to play some games with fewer than 7 so you know the mechanics of the game first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Declan Noonan
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we had a similar problem
7 is a terrible number for gamers
depending on your group and the type of games you play
and don't like co-op
i find kingmaker and civilisation to be quite good
(both take a bit of time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread lists a few ideas for King of Tokyo with up to 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.