Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi, i'm running octgn 3.0.12.58 i think its due an update soon so perhaps i should wait for that..

I'm now used to netrunner, i use cardgamedb to create my custom decks,for that... but i can't fathom the lotr version,

the cardgamedb does not have a save as oct feature but i got around that with the oct deck editor i spotted above the custom games button,
i managed to load this in to the game similar to netrunner then i'm stuck again..

now do i need to also build the encounter deck? i don't see a load encounter deck option,

i know 2 player 2 hands i need a 2nd octgn cleitn open but i'll just try and learn solo for now..

since netrunner works so well i though i'd more play from my lotr if i mastered this system.. with out all the deck changes but puts me off some nights ..

so any help? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wootsick
United States
ZEBULON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Load Deck" button you use to load your player deck will also load your encounter decks. Provided you downloaded the package file(s) from the OCTGN site, you should already have them. The encounter decks are in the .o8d file format.

If your on FB, join the OCTGN LOTR page. Listed are active players with their OCTGN names. No need for 2-handed play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Jake says, you just use "Load Deck" to load both decks: your player deck and the encounter deck. It doesn't matter which order.

The new version of OCTGN should make it a lot easier to manage games and sets - as I understand it, you won't need to install sets separately, instead they get incorporated into the game definition itself and an auto-update feature takes care of downloading and installing new sets as they get released to OCTGN. Images for the sets will still need to be downloaded separately, but the new version has a "proxy generator" feature which can generate playable versions of the cards without the actual images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've the packs 8od things i can see the encounter cards in the deck builder so still i need to make my own ecnouther deck though.. its not pre done for you.. or might be in the next version

guess it doesn't take long to type in each card name just a bit of pain but once done once..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok update ive managed to load hunt for golem.. ive turn on automation. is it very basic e.g most things are manual?
i didnt see much automation paying adding up questing or dealing encounter cards..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
i've the packs 8od things i can see the encounter cards in the deck builder so still i need to make my own ecnouther deck though.. its not pre done for you.. or might be in the next version

guess it doesn't take long to type in each card name just a bit of pain but once done once..

No the sets come with the decks.

The Hunt for Gollum set includes inside it the file "Quest-004-The-Hunt-for-Gollum.o8d" which should get installed at the same time you install the set to wherever you have OCTGN installing it's files.

And yes OCTGN is very manual, it's essentially a Virtual Tabletop, not much is automated.

http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=656

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some automation included. You can right-click the tabletop and show the automation guide to give you a list of keywords and what they do based on what automation mode you're in.

But as Nigel mentioned, it's still very much a manual program. When we first talked about adding automation into the game, we knew it was a slippery slope. None of us had the time, patience, or inclination to try to automate every single card effect in the game, so we opted for some basic overall automation at the fundamental level. (You can, for example, hit Ctrl+E to reveal the next encounter card and add it to the staging area.)

Check out the COTR Podcast's Progression Series on YouTube for a good example of how to play the game in Octgn (though they don't use any automation at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the COTR series would be a good example, though bare in mind that if you start at the beginning that OCTGN has gone through a couple revisions since the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Tse
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like it non-automated. keeps you sharp so you don't miss stuff. So when you actually play the cards, you know what to do lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.