Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Pohl
Germany
Mülheim
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For me, Terra Mystica is almost a perfect game. I buyed many games in the last years, but TM rocks them all. There is no luck in this game, but the factions create an awesome asymmetric game. But this should not be a review, this should be the start to my fan-expansion for TM. I really like the fact that every faction has his own playing style, but I´m coming from games in which "the more the better" is a basic rule, so my goal is to create more factions for more variety.

First goal is to create a faction for every existing landscape, so there will be 3 instead of 2 factions for every landscape and 21 factions at all. And I need YOUR opinion on this factions, because TM is really balanced and every faction needs to be tested, tested, tested. And maybe you get conclusions from just looking at them, so be honest and critize me.

First of all I´ll just post the stats of the first faction (MONKS) in the next post. I´ll then work out an visual tablet of the faction, but I´m not skilled in photoshop yet, so it will take me some hours to do this properly, so please be patient.

Last: I´m not a native speaker, so please excuse my english... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pohl
Germany
Mülheim
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MONKS

Landscape: Mountains

Starting might: 7 in I, 5 in II.

Upgrading shovels: Standard (1 priest, 2 worker, 5 gold)

Upgrading ships: 1 priest, 5 gold. Maximum ship-upgrade is 2.

Dwellings: Normal cost (1W, 2G), normal income (1W, except last step)

Trade houses: Normal cost (2W, 3/6G), income: 1M 2G, 1M 2G, 1M 2G, 2M 3G

Temples: cost: 2W 4G, insome: 2M, 1 Priest, 1 Priest

Special abilities:

The monks get a victory point every time they´re using a priest. It doesn´t matter if you´re spending them for upgrades or sending them to the order. But you don´t get a VP if you´re changing them to a worker...

The monks can build two sanctuaries, but no stronghold.

Sanctuaries: As stated above, you can build two of them. cost: 4W 7G. Income: 2M, 1 Priest. You can build a city with 3 buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to just give their Stronghold identical costs and capabilities to the Sanctuary since there are not two Sanctuary pieces provided (e.g., gaining a favor tile). The only real functional difference would be that one needs to get upgraded from TP and the other TE then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
You might want to just give their Stronghold identical costs and capabilities to the Sanctuary since there are not two Sanctuary pieces provided (e.g., gaining a favor tile). The only real functional difference would be that one needs to get upgraded from TP and the other TE then.

Or he could just use the stronghold piece instead of the second sanctuary piece, which would maintain the temple prerequisite and the three-to-a-town rule of the sanctuary.

The temples seem too powerful. Cheaper than other factions' and they provide an extra priest (unless this is a typo since the sanctuary only gives 1p income) and 2pw income? Early temples are good for every faction, so I think the Monks here would have too strong of an early game. Basically you are giving them free income for doing something everyone wants to do anyway.

My suggestion would be to do something similar to the Engineers, where the first temple is the same as other factions', but the others are different (second temple could be 2pw and 1p, third 4pw and 1p, for example.) It might be weird thematically, though, because monks are supposed to be solitary, and this would really encourage being near others to get the cheap trading houses for all those temples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pohl
Germany
Mülheim
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1.) I think you can just use the stronghold-piece for the second sanctuary. We don´t want to make things more complicated.

2.) Maybe my post was a bit confusing... The temples don´t provide extra-income. The first temple gives 2M, the second one priest and the third one priest. So, they´re a bit similar to the Engineers, except that the first temple is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Django83 wrote:
1.)
2.) Maybe my post was a bit confusing... The temples don´t provide extra-income. The first temple gives 2M, the second one priest and the third one priest. So, they´re a bit similar to the Engineers, except that the first temple is different.

Oh. In that case I think you've made them a bit too weak. Delaying the first priest for a faction that gets points for using priests seems harsh. Also, 2pw is significantly less valuable than 1p. Have you tested this at all, or are these just thoughts at this point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pohl
Germany
Mülheim
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I´m just in the planning phase, so your feedback is really welcome.

Ok, you´re right. A priest costs 5M, so 2 is really to low and maybe I´ll give them the first priest. I thought about the two sanctuaries, because of this they already get more priests.

So, thank you for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Django83 wrote:
I´m just in the planning phase, so your feedback is really welcome.

Ok, you´re right. A priest costs 5M, so 2 is really to low and maybe I´ll give them the first priest. I thought about the two sanctuaries, because of this they already get more priests.

So, thank you for your feedback.

Actually, a priest costs either 6pw (if you take the power action) or 10pw (if you just convert directly). This is because it takes twice as much power income to get a token from Bowl I to Bowl III as it costs to spend it from Bowl III to Bowl I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lode
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Only 2 power income for the first temple seems a bit low. This is a weak point that would make the faction unpleasant imho. The goal is to make getting priests harder I guess. But how about slightly more useful income like a worker and a coin or so?

As mentioned, I agree that it's better to keep the SH piece rather than saying they have two SA, and just state the SH has the same powers as the SA.

What starting resources?

What starting cult track values?

I love the suggestion btw, looking forward to the next one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
This is a cool idea for a race. However, I have a lot of issues for it. First of all every existing faction has the exact same number of each type of building as every other faction. For this reason, I disagree with giving them a second sanctuary. It's also a little confusing with the available pieces.

However, I have a cool solution, but I'm not sure how well this would work. On every faction board there are arrows that point in the direction that something may be upgraded. For example, a Trading post has an arrow pointing to the Stronghold and an arrow pointing to the Temple. I propose that you remove the arrow pointing from the Trading Post to the Stronghold and instead make an arrow from the Sanctuary to the Stronghold. Thus the only way that this race may build a stronghold is by upgrading the Sanctuary. Since this would require an additional upgrade from the Sanctuary, it could be made extremely powerful since it would take so many resources to build.

I also agree with what other people have already suggested: The temples need to be stronger. I would suggest a normal starting temple and then 1 priest+2 power for each of the other 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
willy wumse
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened to this fan expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zombie I don't know zombie

Though, if you resurrect a topic, be prepared to talk about it and really bring it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.