Andrea Krone
Germany
Köln
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hello all together!
I´m planning to visit London with my Kids in August and of course we´ll visit the traditional sights... But what is to do, where is to go in the town with the special focus on gaming? I already heared about Hamleys, could you please tell us other interesting places for gaming kids (and also me)?
Any help would be welcome!
best regards
Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only loosely connected to gaming but the science museum! Lots of interactive stuff for kids to get involved in and play with.

There's a bunch of good games shops with different focusses - Orcs Nest, Leisure Games, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're talking about London and sights, I assume you'll be in the centre?

There's the RAF museum in Hendon (so a little further out) - not only do they have lots of cool planes and stuff, but there's an area at the back where the kids can do different 'experiments' - my son is 5 and he loves it. Like all museums in England, it's free (although there's a charge to park).

Now why do I mention that? Well, because it's not really an 'all day' kind of place - it'll take a few hours to go round. What to do with the rest of the day? Well, from Hendon, you're only a short trip to Finchley, where you'll find the excellent Leisure Games. Very helpful staff, they have a facebook page so if you are planning on going, post a message and see if anyone fancies joining you for a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't go to Hamleys for games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Krone
Germany
Köln
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all very much for youer replies!
"London on Board" seemes to be exactely the thing I wanted to read!
The museums seem to be interesting, too, and I already planned to go there.
And to Hamleys: well, I think, we won´t go there for buying games (I got the impression, that it is no good idea at all to buy games in England, if you know the german prices, and we travel with public transportation...), more for watching toys.
Thank you very much and best regards - andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Also not about gaming but my 5 year old daughter and I really liked the Imperial War Museum (walking distance from several Underground stations like Lambeth North or Elephant & Castle). She did find the WWI trench warfare walk-through exhibit a bit much though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been 16 years since I was in London so my details are sketchy, but I remember spending one afternoon watching carom somewhere in the Covent Garden area. I didn't play; I just watched, getting a thrill out of the mastery that some of these guys displayed. But they welcomed visitors to join in the fun. It was pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason RJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how old they are (9+) you might consider booking in for Hint Hunt -
Quote:
HintHunt is a new simple and fun escape game, designed for small groups of 3-5 people. You get 60 minutes to climb a mountain of puzzles and mysteries in a tiny room. The goal is simple yet challenging: get out in time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.