Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this for my android last week and am having fun with it. But I've noticed that I have some favorite investigators, "locations" (when they come up), etc.

If I bought this game now it would be the latest version, which I hope has updated rules.

But my main question is if there are major differences in the app and the boardgame that might make me not enjoy the boardgame as much.

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have other people you want to play with then get the board game. However, the digital game makes setup/take down and all the in-game accounting a snap. The digital game is also harder with the Cthulhu and Ithaqua campaigns. People complain too much about the updated rules, its not enough to make a difference.

If you are primary playing it by yourself then just stick with the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to have both. I bought the android app first, and later was given the board game for my birthday. I like them both, but they each offer something slightly different.

I think the main difference is that you need to pay closer attention to the various rules as there is no app to remind you of special rules you've missed or rulings you've misplayed. The app doesn't seem that complex, but once you sit down to play it you realise just how many special cases and specific rules there are in this game.

The other thing is, that the very beautiful art doesn't take up as much space compared to game related icons and so on as it does in the app. It's a little obvious, but if you feel that the visuals added a lot to the game, then the board game might seem a little drier. I think that the in-game text adds additional atmosphere that the app lacks... but if you're more of a visual gamer, reading the adventure text out loud might not do anything for you.

Finally there are some smaller rule changes. The most obvious one being, that with Elder Sign you get to fight the Great Old Ones once they awaken, which can sometimes have drastic consequences when playing. In some cases it makes more sense to shift from collecting Elder Sign to prepping your characters for a big showdown and thus going on adventures that promise items instead of Elder Signs.

I like both and play them both. The app usually on my phone, on my way to or from work. And I like to play the boardgame with my girlfriend, even if setup always seems to take just a little longer than I remember it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If given the choice, I'd probably play the app. I find the physical game too easy and if it wasn't for my daughter liking it, this would probably have already been sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So the board game and app have the same investigators?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so. There may be some that have already been released for the app that are coming in the physical expansion, but I don't recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the hard copy for a deeper or thematic experience.

But as others have said, you can't beat the set up time of the digital version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2d20 wrote:

Really? The creepy music and sound effects on the app don't immerse you in the game (more so than the tabletop)? I love both, but I think the app adds great atmosphere and tension that I rarely get with the physical version. Try it with headphones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
So the board game and app have the same investigators?

The base version of the boardgame has 16 investigators. The new expansion will add 8 more, I believe. If you get all of the IAPs for the app, you'll have 25, plus 2 to unlock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my copy of the game because the app rendered it obsolete as I play it almost exclusively solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zestrenocya wrote:
I sold my copy of the game because the app rendered it obsolete as I play it almost exclusively solo.

BOTH the app and the board game need SERIOUS modifications to maximize theme and overall playability.

since there is no way to hack the app...that leaves the board game for the best possible enjoyment for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xfoley8 wrote:
2d20 wrote:

Really? The creepy music and sound effects on the app don't immerse you in the game (more so than the tabletop)? I love both, but I think the app adds great atmosphere and tension that I rarely get with the physical version. Try it with headphones!

I have tried headphones and it is pretty awesome

I've pimped up the board game with minis for the investigators (and a few of the GOO's) and I have also added a few of the User variants. I also go a little over the top with a slide show of great computer themed art to add to the mood.

I'm just generally not a big digital gamer and the iPhone screen is so small, though no regrets buying Omens. I certainly find it a good challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2d20 wrote:
xfoley8 wrote:
2d20 wrote:

I have tried headphones and it is pretty awesome

I've pimped up the board game with minis for the investigators (and a few of the GOO's) and I have also added a few of the User variants. I also go a little over the top with a slide show of great computer themed art to add to the mood.

I'm just generally not a big digital gamer and the iPhone screen is so small, though no regrets buying Omens. I certainly find it a good challenge!

There is a Mac version if you want to play on a big screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is more than just Azathoth as GOO now, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Joe Dizzy wrote:
I happen to have both. I bought the android app first, and later was given the board game for my birthday. I like them both, but they each offer something slightly different.

I think the main difference is that you need to pay closer attention to the various rules as there is no app to remind you of special rules you've missed or rulings you've misplayed. The app doesn't seem that complex, but once you sit down to play it you realise just how many special cases and specific rules there are in this game.

The other thing is, that the very beautiful art doesn't take up as much space compared to game related icons and so on as it does in the app. It's a little obvious, but if you feel that the visuals added a lot to the game, then the board game might seem a little drier. I think that the in-game text adds additional atmosphere that the app lacks... but if you're more of a visual gamer, reading the adventure text out loud might not do anything for you.

Finally there are some smaller rule changes. The most obvious one being, that with Elder Sign you get to fight the Great Old Ones once they awaken, which can sometimes have drastic consequences when playing. In some cases it makes more sense to shift from collecting Elder Sign to prepping your characters for a big showdown and thus going on adventures that promise items instead of Elder Signs.

I like both and play them both. The app usually on my phone, on my way to or from work. And I like to play the boardgame with my girlfriend, even if setup always seems to take just a little longer than I remember it.

This pretty much sums up my take on it. I play the board game with multiple people (usually two) and the app solo. I like the board game better - I like collaborating to defeat the Old One and I like the tactile experience of rolling and placing the dice. I also picked up a couple of the Arkham Horror minis which adds to the experience.

If you are only playing solo, just stick with the app. If you are looking to share this game with others, definitely get the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
There is more than just Azathoth as GOO now, right?

Yes. You can now go against Yig, Tsathoggua, Azathoth, Cthulhu, and Ithaqua. The last two are IAPs.

And to answer the original message here, imo the app makes the game way more fun, especially if you are playing solo, as all the work is done for you. Some games are great to physically interact with, but this one isn't all that special to look at given all the prep and upkeep to run it. The app has all the beauty of the game intact and actually renders this game fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both, like some of the earlier posters. I like both of them, obviously the board game is for when I get a group of friends together. My 2 cents as follows:

1 - The app Cthulhu & Ithaqua campaigns are really interesting twists, imho. I would like to see that style explored a bit more in both.

2 - I find the app is a bit more challenging. As another poster pointed out, GOO awakens = game over as opposed to a last ditch effort.

3 - That said, I like the visual and group appeal of the board game more than the app.

Final analysis - I think both are great, if you like one you will probably like the other. That said, if you play solo, the app is a pretty quick and fun experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mtyree1972 wrote:
2 - I find the app is a bit more challenging. As another poster pointed out, GOO awakens = game over as opposed to a last ditch effort.

I'd definitely say the app is more challenging (especially compared to the base boardgame). Hoping the expansion will increase the difficulty. In the app the doom track fills up much quicker (you can get occasionally get 2 doom at midnight with most of the GOO's, and 3 with Azathoth), and Tsathoggua has a lot of monsters that lock green dice. There are also more adventures that lock dice in the app. Don't get me started on Ithaqua- downright brutal. I'll bet they're introducing a lot of these elements to the boardgame with the expansion, but it remains to be seen.

Having said that, the unique options with the app (Cthulhu and Ithaqua 'campaigns' that take you out of the museum) and the boardgame (a final fight with the GOO whan all else fails and the new blessed/curse dice mechanic) give different, but compelling, reasons to play both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Smith
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have had the boardgame for a few months and it has gone down very well with my mature group of 4 or 5 players. Even though it is medium weight, the theme is strong, theres pleanty of clinched teeth moments. We did find the game a little easy, but with a few variations found on BGG we tweaked it to our player level and its challenging enough for us, and it has been out more often as a result.

I got the app and loved it. For solo play its the same great game of push your luck, and it scratched the horror theme itch just fine, the sounds of screaming in the background is perfect, except for some reason the final challange is missing. In the app, if you dont seal the gates you loose, thats it, in the tabletop game the end of the world boss comes out for a final desperate fight, which in our games has always beenn disasterous, but hillarious.

I would still recommend the boardgame for that spare hour and a half filler - get your face eaten off - hillarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.