10 Posts

Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discard a 'used' card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
yell armageddon
msg tools
Hi there,

since I am used to play Dominion and Mtg, I might have gotten the wrong idea: Is it right that there is no distinction between cards in play and cards in your hand?

For example:
Assume I have only 3 cards in at the beginning of my turn:
Regular, long spear, Skinshifter Clawhand.
Now is the following legal?
1) Go to the dungeon
2) Equip regular with long spear
3) Use regular ability to draw a card
4) Discard the regular (or the spear) to give Skinshifter +2 attack

Thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Y

Lilburn
Georgia
msg tools
Pretty sure that is not legal. During Village/Dungeon phases, you cannot discard or destroy cards that you have used. The only exception to the rule is that the card with the ability can discard/destroy itself, as in the case of the innkeeper or something like reckless conjure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
There is a slight distinction between cards that are present (what you call "in play") and cards in your hand.

1. When it is not your turn, the two are not the same: you have a hand of cards, but none of your cards are present. Even if you are forced to reveal your hand, your cards are not present.

2. When it is your turn, and you visit the village or enter the dungeon, you place your entire hand face up in front of you, and all cards from your hand become present. Any cards added to your hand thereafter are also considered present. Present = in your hand = face-up in front of you.

There are some edge cases around this (e.g., Rest, Prepare), but that's the basic idea.

Yes, you can discard a card you have used an ability on.

See also:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11612849#11612849

For your example, though, it would be very unusual to begin your turn with only 3 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
zer0slayn wrote:
Pretty sure that is not legal. During Village/Dungeon phases, you cannot discard or destroy cards that you have used. The only exception to the rule is that the card with the ability can discard/destroy itself, as in the case of the innkeeper or something like reckless conjure.

See the link I just posted. The rules forbid destroying another card that has been used, but not discarding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yell armageddon
msg tools
thanks for the insight.

I came to this when trying to understand 'curse of war'.
It basically says "take two random cards from your hand. you may destroy one of them, to destroy this curse"
this wouldn't make sense if you could just 'play' all your cards and then use this ability with zero hand-cards left.

So if I have a regular, a longspear and curse of war.
1) go to the dungeon
2) use regular with longspear to draw a card
3) use curse of war
what happens now? you said that i cannot destroy a used card, so what happens if i pick longspear?

Another question, I have is:
Lets say i have a regular with longspear in play and I drew a card with it. If I manage to discard this longspear, can I equip a second longspear (and draw another card)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Y

Lilburn
Georgia
msg tools
darquil wrote:
zer0slayn wrote:

See the link I just posted. The rules forbid destroying another card that has been used, but not discarding it.

Yeah, I see that now. I really need to write up a list of these special rules so I don't have to try to remember this stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
yell wrote:
So if I have a regular, a longspear and curse of war.
1) go to the dungeon
2) use regular with longspear to draw a card
3) use curse of war
what happens now? you said that i cannot destroy a used card, so what happens if i pick longspear?

Great question. Curse of War is particularly problematic because of the random draw. To complicate the question, what if you have two Regulars, one who is equipped and has used the ability, and one who isn't equipped and hasn't. If you draw a Regular, how are you to know which Regular you drew?

Scrambling your hand after you've already used abilities is chaotic. If CoW had the text, "If this is the first ability you've used this turn...", like Curse of Decay does, that would get around both issues.

yell wrote:
Another question, I have is:
Lets say i have a regular with longspear in play and I drew a card with it. If I manage to discard this longspear, can I equip a second longspear (and draw another card)?

No; the rules forbid equipping the same weapon twice to another hero (if it becomes unequipped), or equipping a second weapon to a hero that has already equipped a weapon (but then becomes unequipped). So each is a single use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you only randomly draw from the cards that you haven't used any abilities with, since you can't discard them anyway. In a way, it lets you narrow down what you will end up discarding. Whether that's good or bad, or even missing the point of the card will need to be clarified I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say roll a die.

Ineligible cards should be included, since if you randomly select two ineligible cards, you are stuck with the Curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
In Thunderstone you do everything you can.

In the special case of saying randomly drawing two Regulars, you simply determine randomly whether one is the one that has used the ability. So, I might for example pick up the two Regulars. Then replace one with the Longspear. If I draw the Longspear, then that represents the one that has previously used his ability with the Longspear. Or as others have said, use a dice or a coin.

If you pick a card that cannot legally be destroyed then it is not destroyed.

Note that this is different to other conditions where you are required to destroy a card. If you have 2 cards that meet whatever the eligibility requirements are to be destroyed, but one is somehow protected (for example has a Pike and the effect is a Battle effect) you cannot deliberately choose the hero that has the Pike to make the effect fail, when there is a perfectly good hero that could be destroyed.

This is a tricky edge-case scenario that you have raised, and I'll confer with the team.

EDIT: Having consulted with them, we are ruling that because the full terms of the Curse are not fulfilled then the Curse in not destroyed, as per Ed's answer.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.