E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A preview of the heroes and the classes was released today (link here)... Just so it's all in one place to be easy to look at:

Apothecary (Healer) Class:

Starts with:
Smoking Vials wrote:
(Exotic) - Ranged, 1-handed - Blue & Green Dice - [2surges]: +3[heart] // [surge]: poison

Brew Elixir wrote:
(cost of 1 fatigue) - Exhaust this card on your turn. Choose yourself or an adjacent hero to gain 1 elixir token. Once during his turn, a hero may discard 1 elixir token to roll 1 red power die and recover [heart] equal to the [heart] rolled.

Skills that can be purchased:
Herbal Lore wrote:
(1XP) - Exhaust this card when a hero discard 1 elixir token. In addition to any other effect from the discarded elixir token, the hero may also discard 1 of his Condition cards.

Concoction wrote:
(1XP) - [action]: Perform an attack. If you have at least 1 elixir token, add 1 [surge] to the results. This attack gains: Pierce 1 // [surge]:+1[heart]

Inky Substance wrote:
(1XP) (cost of 1 fatigue) - Exhaust this card to choose 1 monster within 3 spaces of you and place an elixir token on it. A hero targeting that monster with an attack may discard the elixir token, before his attack roll, to add 1 additional green power die to his attack pool.

Protective Tonic wrote:
(2XP) (cost of 2 fatigue) - Exhaust this card immediately after a hero discards an elixir token to place 1 of his hero tokens on this card. A hero may discard 1 of his hero tokens from this card, before rolling defense dice, to add 1 gray die to his defense pool.

Bottled Courage wrote:
(2XP) (cost of 2 fatigue) - Exhaust this card during your turn to perform an attack. This attack does not require an action. If you deal at least 1[heart] (after rolling defense dice), choose yourself or an adjacent hero to gain 1 elixir token.

unknown apothecary skill #1 wrote:
(2XP) - unknown

Potent Remedies wrote:
(3XP) - When a hero discards an elixir token, he may 1 additional green power die and recover [fatigue] equal to the [surge] rolled, in addition to any [heart] recovered (even if this card is exhausted. You may exhaust this card to revive any adjacent hero without using an action.

unknown apothecary skill #2 wrote:
(3XP) - unknown

unknown apothecary skill #3 wrote:
(3XP) - unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Beastmaster (Warrior) Class:

Starts with:
Hunting Spear wrote:
(Exotic) - Melee, 1-handed - Blue & Red Dice - Reach // [surges]: Pierce 1

Skinning Knife wrote:
(Blade) - Melee, 1-handed - Blue & Green Dice - If the target has any number of damage tokens, this attack gains: [surge]:+3[heart]

Wolf wrote:
(Familiar) - Melee, 4spead, 3health, no defense - Blue & Red Dice - This familiar is treated as a figure. It may perform 1 attack action during its activation. Each attack made by this familiar gains: [surge]: Pierce 1

Bound By The Hunt wrote:
(cost of 1 fatigue) - [action]Place your Wolf familiar token in an empty space adjacent to you. You may only control 1 Wolf at a time. You may discard your Wolf familiar token at any time during your turn.

Skills that can be purchased:
Survivalist wrote:
(1XP) - You gain +2 Health. Each hero adjacent to your Wolf adds 1 additional brown die to his defense pool. While your Wolf is adjacent to a hero, your Wolf adds 1 additional brown die to its defense pool.

Bestial Rage wrote:
(1XP) (cost of 2 fatigue) - [action]: Perform an attack. If you are adjacent to your Wolf, you may reroll 1 attack die. This attack gainst: [surge]: Roll 1 red power die to add the [heart] rolled to your attack results

Stalker wrote:
(1XP) - Immediately after declaring the target of your attack, you may move your Wolf 1 space. Additionally, a monster cannot declare your Wolf as the target of an attack if it could legally target a hero figure instead.

Savagery wrote:
(2XP) - Each time a hero performs an attack that targets a monster adjacent to your Wolf, he may add 1 additional green power die to his attack pool. Each time your Wolf performs an attack that targets a monster adjacent to a hero figure, your Wolf may add 1 additional green power die to its attack pool.

unknown beastmaster skill #1 wrote:
(2XP) - unknown

unknown beastmaster skill #2 wrote:
(2XP) - unknown

Predator wrote:
(3XP) - You and your Wolf each gain +4 Health. Whenever you stand up or are revived by another hero, you recover 2 additional [heart]. Your Wolf's attacks gain: [surge]:+1[heart] // [surge]: You recover 1[stamina]

Changing Skins wrote:
(3XP) - [action]: Exhaust this card to perform an attack as if you occupied your Wolf's space. While this card is exhausted, each attack you or your Wolf performs gains: [surge]: Pierce 2 // [2surges]: +5[heart]

unknown beastmaster skill #3 wrote:
(3XP) - unknown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beastmaster seems a bit broken or what?

I hope the overlord will gain a boost also ,it's weak with 4 heroes.(also the hidden room rule is overpowered for the heroes in the first expansion).
In fact,the game need some modifications with 4 heroes.(reinforcement rules ,etc )

edit: in fact,you'll have to kill the wolf quickly it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both classes seem fairly OP to me...

Between the Apothecary giving people future-use "prayer of healings" and future-use "stoneskins" and extra green (i.e. surge) dice, she's a hell of a healer...

And the Beastmaster is a DPS machine... Beastial Rage is 1XP and gives you miss protection and a third attack die (for a surge)... And if the Apothecary has Potent Remedies the Beastmaster's Changing Skins (maybe with a mana weave and a grinding axe, even) becomes insane...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol,and the overlord is nerfed with the new faq....
i don't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
flag msg tools
Stats not guaranteed accurate. May be made up entirely.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note, the hunting spear is actually a melee weapon with reach, not a ranged weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercuric wrote:
Just a note, the hunting spear is actually a melee weapon with reach, not a ranged weapon.

Ah, sorry, screwed that up... Thanks! [fixed now]...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
emproc1346 wrote:
Both classes seem fairly OP to me...

Between the Apothecary giving people future-use "prayer of healings" and future-use "stoneskins" and extra green (i.e. surge) dice, she's a hell of a healer...

And the Beastmaster is a DPS machine... Beastial Rage is 1XP and gives you miss protection and a third attack die (for a surge)... And if the Apothecary has Potent Remedies the Beastmaster's Changing Skins (maybe with a mana weave and a grinding axe, even) becomes insane...

Nanok as a Beastmaster would be incredible. The auto-Surge he gets with Bestial Rage means he's essentially rolling three dice during the first Act I quest.

The Apothecary sounds about on par with the Disciple (which most agree is overpowered). I don't think that's a problem, because it gives people a reasonable choice now, since choosing between Disciple and Spiritspeaker is a no-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
[q="emproc1346"] I don't think that's a problem,

there's no problem with a broken game?really?

The heroes are overpowered,and the overlord struggle to do somehing with 4 heroes.Now,with the new faq,one of the most useful card is useless now (reinforcement). And then we have a new very powerful class.(+6 health for the hero,really?)

It seems that FFG never play the game with 4 heroes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's pretty easy to look at new content on paper and declare it "overpowered" just because your brain thinks new is better, happens all the time. Personally, I don't see anything out of line in the released information, plus I already disagree that the Disciple is the obvious choice to begin with. The Spiritspeaker is ridiculously good and an equally strong choice. Every class in the game is fantastic if played right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps using the term "overpowered" was foolish of me. The Disciple is generally accepted to be the more powerful of the base game Healer classes. Having this Healer class be on par with the Disciple is better, to me, than having it be on par with the Spiritspeaker, because if it were on par with the Spiritspeaker, then all anybody would ever do is play the Disciple, still.

As far as how that relates to the OVERLORD, perhaps it is unfair, especially considering the recent nerfs to Reinforce, Unholy Ritual, and Bloodlust. We won't know until we play it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I agree that the prevailing attitude is that Disciple >>> Spiritspeaker, but I disagree with the attitude itself

Personally I just think most people aren't thinking outside the box and/or recognizing the innate power in the Spiritspeaker's abilities. Either that or they get entranced by the ability to add a yellow die to heroes' attacks (among other things) via Prayer of Healing, and lose sight of anything else at all, which is also entirely possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
Im still laughing at how similar the new classes are to the ones I made a while back (Kennelmaster = Beastmaster, Alchemist = Apothecary). Though the mechanics are quite different in both cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how much different the Beastmaster will be from the Necro. My early impression the wolf is MUCH better than the skeleton. Plus the hero himself is a tank as opposed to a flimsy caster. So why ever be the Necro?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shearer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
My initial impression was that the Beastmaster is overpowered relative to the Necromancer. I did a side by side comparison of their skills, though, and now I am thinking that the Necro actually comes off as being a little better.

First, the reanimate and the wolf are comparable from a stats standpoint. The wolf has one better movement and the reanimate has one better health. The wolf actually needs to be in very particular places to be effective in many circumstances, so it really needs that movement point. The wolf gets pierce 1 on a surge. Reanimate gets 1 damage, which is very sightly better.

A lot of the Beastmaster abilities require the wolf to be next to the heroes or its owner to be effective. As anyone who has played much knows, this can be tricky to pull off sometimes. I don't see a Beastmaster equivalent to the Necro ability to let the familiar get an extra activation, so it can be very tricky indeed.

The Beastmaster level 3 abilities are very potent, make no mistake. Still, I don't see anything quite as awe inspiring as the Necro's ability to make a reanimate attack against all enemies in the Necro's line of sight.

Naturally, we haven't seen all Beastmaster skills, so the jury is still out. But based on what we have seen, I find it powerful but not any more powerful than the Necromancer. In fact, so far it looks slightly weaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Raedwulf
Canada
courtenay
B.C
flag msg tools
mb
I find it funny how after seeing 3 or 4 cards from these two classes people are making huge statements that the new classes are over powered and how this expansion is "Broken". Just kinda funny when you think about it.... I like to think that Fantasy Flight would not pre release info to sell there new expansion that shows how broken it is, They do some silly things but im sure there marketing team has there act together enough to not make that simple mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been 6 cards actually, which is more than half the class, and no one is saying "broken" or OP, just saying it looks much better than the necro. Calm yourself down now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
no one is saying "broken" or OP

Actually, that's not true. Read the whole thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:
no one is saying "broken" or OP

Actually, that's not true. Read the whole thread.

One person said "broken"... Everyone relax...

I personally said they looked OP, but won't actually know until actually playing them... More than anything I'm just excited about trying these out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Raedwulf
Canada
courtenay
B.C
flag msg tools
mb
Im not upset just find it funny that's all. I think you guys need to chill all I did was point out that people were making some strong statements based on little information. Sorry if people took offence, just thought I would share what I noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir slayer
msg tools
I think that new elixir class is gonna be my favourite healer :]
Wolf seems cool too. Will see how the balance goes when it's out^^

Edit:
Nanok (auto surge) + bestial rage (use 1 surge, gain 1 red die)
Divine Fury (+1 yellow die)
Inky substance (+1 green die)
Savagery (+1 green die)

+ Weapon Die
That's going to hurt a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.