Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to buy a corner chomper to... cut corners

I'm looking at

d10-1 We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper 1/8" and 3/8"

d10-2 Fiskars 3-in-1 Corner Squeeze Punch

Do you have any experience with one of them or maybe do you prefer another model ?

Any suggestion is welcome.

PS: is there a website somewhere to convert between lb and gsm units for paper weight ??

Thanks everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a very similar Fiskars, but it was a circle punch not a corner punch. It was weak and completely unable to punch chipboard (it broke while trying... and it didn't even really dent the chipboard, much less cut it). It worked fine on plain paper and labels, though.

The chomper, however, is rugged and easily chomps through even matboard. I use it to round the corners of the tiles in prototypes I make:

One thing I don't know is if the Fiskars might make smoother corners for something like punching corners for cards. It might work better for something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, that's exactly the kind of interrogation I have when I look at the price difference. I prefer to pay more for a better tool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Lovell
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mb
Check here for a pretty good chart to convert lb to gsm.

http://craftsmenprinting.com/blog/2009/05/22/paper-weight-co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I purchased this one:
http://www.oregonlam.com/CR3MM_3mm_1_8_Corner_Rounder_Cutter...

It performs decently well. I can round a card made from two sheets of heavy cardstock glued together (0.020" thick) fairly well.

The spring in the device is rather stiff. Without any paper, it takes about 12 pounds of force to squeeze it closed.

The gap to insert cards in the device is 2 mm, so anything your rounding will have to be less than 2 mm. I wanted to try rounding regular board game (not war game) chits, and they are too thick to be inserted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Zutter. It's amazing, will chomp a coaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out these babies: http://www.oregonlam.com/Corner_Rounders_Round_Radius_Cutter...

The best of the best of the best. Hands down. I own the 2 & 3mm and that's what I use to clip the corners of all my counters.

EDIT: D'oh! Just noticed that Brian had already mentioned these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:

This seems to be dedicated to thick material. Does it work well on regular paper too ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Sam Houston wrote:

This seems to be dedicated to thick material. Does it work well on regular paper too ??

I also own a Zutter. In my experience it doesn't work on regular paper (or anything that is a bit thinner). Very good for cutting really thick stuff though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinimini wrote:
Check out these babies: http://www.oregonlam.com/Corner_Rounders_Round_Radius_Cutter...

The best of the best of the best.

Hum, it seems they don't have a retailer in europe. I have sent a mail to them to check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Tinimini wrote:

The best of the best of the best.

Hum, it seems they don't have a retailer in europe. I have sent a mail to them to check

I ordered it straight from them. The shipping was $12 or something like that. So it's not that cheap, but to me it's been worth every penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with my Corner Chomper 1/4" and 1/2", except for the radius. The store I was at did not have the 1/8"+3/8" in stock, and still doesn't.

Mine will cut chipboard tiles as well as paper. I just wish there were some way to sharpen it, as chipboard really dulls blades quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone try the one from spielmaterial ?

It's cheap and they say it cuts laminated paper. Should I trust it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Did anyone try the one from spielmaterial ?

It's cheap and they say it cuts laminated paper. Should I trust it ?

Beware that the size of the corners may not be what you are looking for. I got one for trimming a deck of cards, and the corner radius was way too large for my project. I gave it away, so cannot comment on the durability of it, but I'd say laminated paper sounds fine (unless you use a thick laminate), whereas greyboard would probably be a no-no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.