14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How do you remember rules to multiple games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting to the point where I have a nice body of games to play. I'm fairly satisfied. But I'm discovering a problem.

I purchased a lot of games with the idea that I could pull one out and play it, more or less on a whim (e.g. hey, I've got a free Saturday, let's play Wilderness War). Yet I've discovered that I can not keep rulesets in my head to the degree necessary to play the game efficiently. Basically, when I switch from one game to another, the old ruleset goes out the window. This generally means I have to reread a fairly large rulebook (I'm not playing Advanced Squad Leader, but am playing things like Wilderness War, Paths of Glory, Up Front, etc., and even some more complex CCGs and similar games). Basically, I can't pull things off the shelf, and feel like I have to spend half of my time rereading rules.

That would be fine, but any such gameplay thereafter is accompanied by the familiar, "Ok, I think I want to do this, but I need to look because I know I'll forget an exception to riverine movement," feeling. Which means the actual gameplay is halting and stumbling.

I do not feel like I'm playing incredibly complex games that should demand slavish devotion to only one or two games to remember a ruleset (e.g. things like Runebound, Descent, We the People, etc.). Am I going senile at a young age? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I learn a game, I usually don't have much problem keeping track of the major rules. (A few minor points might require a quick refresher.) But that's just me--I have a pretty good memory for remembering processes.

Things that can help:
- A cheat sheet of the phases of turn or basic rules can help spark memory during play. Often the preparation of such a player aid help me learn the rules.
- I also prefer games no more than moderate complexity--Up Front is about the most compex game I enjoy.
- Frequent playings of the game often helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try some German games. They have much simpler rules sets, simpler ideas, but complex gameplay from the increased player inter-action. Get a few games like Settlers, Carcassonne, Durch die Wuste on your shelves to start with, then move on to the heavier end. You'll soon be playing challenging fun games without mugging up on conditional rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiu Fai Adrian Lui
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
I definitely have the same problem in remembering the rule. I think a few things help. First, try to play the same game many times so I are extremely familiar to it. So even you put it down for a while you can still pick it up to play. Second, try to buy games that are totally different in rulesets. In this case the rule of each game is unique and it can be remembered more easily. Try to separate the rules of PoG and BtB is a headache to me for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Peasemold
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
Peasemoldia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,
in my case is think it is because I am going senile; or simply trying to play too many new games without properly learning what I have already. That is my excuse anyway. The proof of this is when my kids have to remind me of the rules as we play along! The way to combat this is to write yourself a 'cheat-sheet' after you have played the game a few times. It speeds the setting up time too. Many of these are posted here on the Geek to save yourself the trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheat sheets. I make a rules summary for each game that I really care about and store it in the box. That way, I remind myself of the rules and also have a summary for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Viney
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiple personalities works for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Viney
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And ME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most BGG'ers are anally retentive.... and so half the fun of it all is getting a new game, fondling the bits, and learning yet more rules.

Knowing lots of rule-sets is where it's at !!!!

robot robot robot robot robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that guy just insulted us

Anyway, I play eurogames and have no difficulty remembering the rules of my favorites. Maybe a bit more difficult if I haven't played for a year or more, or if the game is incredibly rules heavy like Arkham Horror. I guess a reference sheet helps here.

I also manage to remember the best strategies for the various gamesmeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Philip Thomas wrote:
or if the game is incredibly rules heavy like Arkham Horror.

Wow, this statement really strikes home how things are all relative. I would never consider AH to be a rules heavy game. It is in the medium to medium-lite end of the spectrum for me.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who says we remember? I can usually remember the basics when switching from game to game, but always have to review the details (how much money to start? what's the hand limit? what about this one obscure circumstance?). So I just plan for that and try to at least re-read the rules before we play.

And honestly, and I know many will disagree, but personally I think if you flub a minor rule, it's not the end of the world. Review the rules before you play, and if you screw up the obscure details of riverine movement, well, hey, you're still having a fun afternoon with friends and enjoying a game. If a rule is important enough to seriously affect gameplay it usually becomes apparently quickly enough to fix, or else if you've reviewed the rules you'll remember the importance of it before it comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you seem to a bit more of a Wargamer Mike, while I am a eurogamer. Still you like Go and Diplomacy, both of which are much slimmer rules wise than AH. Of course, I also play D&D for which I have at least 15 seperate rulebooks, but I sort of don't count that in my scales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyFrog wrote:
That would be fine, but any such gameplay thereafter is accompanied by the familiar, "Ok, I think I want to do this, but I need to look because I know I'll forget an exception to riverine movement," feeling. Which means the actual gameplay is halting and stumbling. Does anyone else have this problem?

Oh ya. I can't remember things from moment to moment, so this is a big problem for me. I read all the rules to everything I buy, then usually do a walk-through game, then it goes on the shelf until gametime.

Each time I pull something out to play, it's been so long since I last played that I basically have to re-skim the rules. I almost always get something wrong. It pays to prepare if you have a planned game session, but sometimes you have an unexpected gaming opportunity and you have to try to remember everything on the fly.

Just the other day I played Scarab Lords after not playing forever and I explained to someone how to play...after fumbling with the rules for 15 minutes trying to recall everything. I still screwed up the 'you can play multiple god cards on your side of the board' rule...I told him only one at a time. oops. ah well.

"quickstart" Gameplay aids from here on BGG are a godsend. I usually find the best one for each game and foldup a printed copy into the box. Or I make my own and share it if someone hasn't got to it already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.