Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian McKeever
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to DM a D&D game, and it would be really cool, if I could use plastic miniatures instead of pennies for bad guys. However, I don't want to shell out cash to buy expansion packs for collectible mini games. $5 per expansion box seems nutty when I can buy a bag of 50 army men for $2. Where's the fantasy version of army men?

I know there are games like Descent: Journey's in the dark with a ton of miniatures I could use, but $50 is a lot, when I don't intend to actually play the game.

Is there any game like Descent, with a ton of minis, that's out of print due to the game sucking, that I might be able to find on ebay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape stuff seems like a pretty good deal with all the stuff it comes with. Then again this new fangled rules set uses square grids for combat.... I was always used to the hexes meeself so I tend to think that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I recommend D&D minis - buy them on the secondary market. There are plenty of sites out there that sell common figures (or simply check ebay) and probably a lot you could use for pennies - though stuff like orcs and skeletons never get down to 25 cents a piece like other figures, because of demand from D&D players just like you who need specialized figures for their games. It's what I did. Need 10 elf archers really bad? Well, you're in luck if you go with D&D miniatures because they're common, their stats suck, and no one wants them. Ditto for dwarves.

You could always cannibalize old mage knight figures, too. Those may even be cheaper than D&D minis now that Mageknight is out of print, though D&D has better quality sculpts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to keep your eyes open for Hero Quest in the thrift stores. It has decent minis that you could pick up for a couple of bucks.

The plastic army men aren't a bad idea.

Also the warhammer minis can be picked up for about 10 bucks for a bunch of minis and you can customise them, so they are easy to distinguish on the battle field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Wizkid's announcement that they're killing Mage Knight (for a while, anyways), and the fact that a whole lot of people think the game got screwed up with the most recent rules, there are bunches of people getting out of it. You can probably pick up some MK stuff pretty cheap on ebay.

Yep...there's a case of Mage Knight Dungeon starter kits for $39.99 plus $6.99 shipping. That's 8 figs per box, times 24 boxes....that's 192 figs for $46 delivered...can't beat that. I'd get that myself, if I wasn't spread so thin buying new games (including MK and Mechwarrior).

Damn, I need to hit the lottery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second the recommendation on grabbing Mage Knight stuff but, if you're looking for things in bulk, Twilight Creations sells bags of 100 plastic zombies for their Zombies!!! games that can be used in a pinch and they're only $10/bag. I think they might offer bags of 100 skeletons too but I'm not sure on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get TSR's Dragon Strike off of Ebay. Or I could just sell you one of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
LOTR Risk has a ton and www.hasbro.com have the minatures available seperately for $3.00 per color.

Age of Mythology has a ton anad www.eaglegames.com had minis available seperatley.

Both games can be aquired very cheap as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
You might want to keep your eyes open for Hero Quest in the thrift stores. It has decent minis that you could pick up for a couple of bucks.

A second vote for Hero Quest. If you can find it, pick it up and take the minis. I have a copy of it that I still play. It's in amazingly good condition considereing it made it through my childhood. Or Battle Master. If you can find that. That game had literally hundreds of different minis.

If not, go for the HeroScape expansions. But that's just from my very limited minis experiance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.