Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tortuga rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You move a minion from another base to the base that replaces Tortuga. The minions that were on Tortuga are discarded when the base is scored, so by the time the Tortuga effect goes off, the minions that were on Tortuga are no longer in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Saint Sinner wrote:

The text of the Tortuga base states that the runner-up after the base breaks may move any one minion to whatever base takes Tortuga's place after she is removed from play.

I have always taken this to mean that any minions that you had on Tortuga prior to her being broken and subsequently scored were discarded as normal, and any minions that you had on any other bases were eligible for the relocation to Tortuga's replacement.

However...other players have called into question whether or not this simply means that a player would keep a single minion (who was present while the space was occupied by Tortuga) in the same spot, ready for whatever new base landed their in Tortuga's place.

Am I doing this correctly, or do they have a case here?

Wow that's a good point. I've always read it that the Runner-Up can move a minion on Tortuga to the base that Replaces it same as your friends. I was thinking it was just the counter part to The Great Opal which lets players move minions from it (The Great Opal) to a different base.

It never occurred to me that Tortuga never actually specified whether or not the minion came from Tortuga like how The Great Opal specifies that the minion you move comes from The Great Opal.

For the time being I could see this ruled either way and I would be interested in seeing a clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it the second way too. After the base scored, instead of discarding all minions on the base, the runner up player chooses one of his minions to move to the replacement base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marquette
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
Click to see this player's page
badge
These computer things are going to get really popular... some day...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it'd be nice if we could get a clarification from
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb

We've always played it as keeping one of the minions behind when it scored.
I think we always interpreted "move" as being in there so you knew it wasn't "played" again.

For any one else wanted to see the exact wording, here's the picture

Looking again, it does sound like you're moving from another base.
Guess some of us are only focusing on the cards related to that base when it's scoring...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you and Marty:

A. "Move" means to relocate it from one base to another.

B. Every base that talks about doing something with a minion that was on the base uses the word "here" (The Mothership, Temple of Goju, The Grey Opal), and Tortuga does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
After Grey Opal scores can the non-winning players move a minion to the replacement, or just other bases already in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
johnraggio wrote:
After Grey Opal scores can the non-winning players move a minion to the replacement, or just other bases already in play?

I guess same question goes for "First Mate". Is the replacement base an option, or just for any existing bases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sachin Daniels
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First mates can only go to existing bases because the after a base scores special takes place before a replacement base is turned up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.