Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So since everyone seems to be enthralled with microgames lately, I decided that it would be a good excercise to throw my hat into the ring and see if I could create one of my own. I came up with an idea that I thought was pretty neat, and I tried to push the limits of what cards can do, but after some component tests, it turned out that I couldn't do this game with just cards, and had to use tiles as well. This might not qualify for a microgame any longer, but that's okay.

I've played two games with 2 players so far, and it was pretty fun. I'm curious what other people think about the idea.

Cosmic Kaboom
2-4 Players
30 minutes or less

Space just isn't big enough for everyone.

The factions are at war and they have recently found that by combining the energies that are produced by each of the four planets that they can create bombs so powerful as to eradicate all life on the planet on which it is detonated. It's a race to see which faction will be the last one with any survivors on their planets.

Players will take turns flying around space, collecting energy cubes to be able to powerup space bombs and blow up the planets of their enemies.

Components
12 Planet tiles (3”x3” square)
16 Energy cubes
4 Faction cards (2.5” x 3.5”)
4 Spaceship discs (1”)
1 Bomb tile (3”x3” square)

Winning the Game
The goal of the game is to be the player with any remaining planets.

Game Setup

1. Randomly deal out a faction card to each player.

2. Place the faction cards onto the table as though they were corners of a square or rectangle. Any un-used faction cards are still used in this manner to create the boundaries of space. The area inside these “corners” will be where the planets are placed.

3. Give each player their faction's planets and then distribute any unused planets (in a 2 or 3 player game) evenly to each player.

4. Players will take turns placing planets onto the table within the boundaries of space. Planets are not allowed to touch each other when placed and the tile must be completely within the boundary lines. If a player is placing a planet that is not of their color, place it with the destroyed side face-up.

5. Place a matching colored energy cube on each planet marked with a 1.

6. Place all player ships on their associated starting corner.

Example of a board setup:

Game Play

Play will rotate clockwise around the table.

On a players turn, they will perform the following actions:

Pilot their Ship - A player is allowed to "flick" their ship up to 2 times to move it around the play area. If the ship leaves the boundaries of the play area, it is considered destroyed. When a ship is destroyed, that player loses all energy cubes that they have collected and places their ship in their starting area.

Land their Ship - Whenever a ship comes into contact with a planet tile, that ship is considered to have landed there. Any remaining movement the ship had for the turn is lost. Place the ship onto the planet tile when it lands.

Gather Energy - Whenever a ship lands on a planet, that player collects any energy cubes that were sitting on that planet and spawns another energy cube of the same color for the cube that was collected. Whenever an Energy Cube is collected, another Energy cube needs to be placed on another planet to replace it. Energy is spawned on the planets of their color in a rotation of 1 >2 >3 >1. Energy cubes may not be placed onto a planet that has a ship currently landed on it and will instead go to the next planet in the direction it wanted to go. If all planets in that color have a ship on them, place it onto the planet that it just came from. Energy cubes will still spawn on destroyed planets. Players may only hold one of each color energy cube on their ship.

Launch a Space Bomb - If a player has 4 Energy Cubes of different colors, they may choose to launch a space bomb. Discard all 4 Energy cubes they have collected and give that player the Space bomb tile. That player will then throw/flip/toss the tile into the play area in an attempt to blow up one or more planets. The card must be released from a player's hand outside of the boundaries of the board, and anything the card is touching once it finally lands and is no longer in motion is what is affected by the bomb. If a throw is considered illegal, the player must re-throw. Anything that the bomb is touching is considered destroyed. Flip over any planets to their destroyed side, and any ships that are in contact with the bomb card or that were landed on the planets are also considered destroyed. Discard any Energy cubes that ship had collected and place it in that faction's starting area.

Ending the game
The game continues until there is only one faction’s planets remaining. The player playing that faction is the winner! If the last Space Bomb thrown destroys all remaining face-up planets at once, everyone loses. Feel free to ridicule that player for destroying all intelligent life in the galaxy.

Faction Abilities
These are various abilities that I'm thinking about adding to the factions to spice up the game play. Maybe do a blank side/ability side, or even two ability sides so players can make a choice after they get their faction.

-Your ship is not destroyed if you leave the boundaries of space.
-Instead of flicking your ship, you may move your ship to one of your planets.
-You get 3 flicks per turn instead of 2.
-When you land on a planet, you do not lose your remaining movement.
-Whenever your ship is destroyed, you lose no energy cubes.
-If you land on a planet with another ship, you may steal one of their energy cubes.
-When you collect a (color) Energy cube, you may trade it for any other color Energy cube instead.
-If you destroyed a planet, take another turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Created some faction profiles and assigned some abilities to each of them for further testing.

Blue
Drayah - The Drayah know that they are smarter than every other race in the galaxy, and they believe that it is their duty to wipe out the ignorant races from the universe.

-Your ship is not destroyed if you leave the boundaries of space.

Purple
Gulnak - The Gulnak believe that a price can be placed on anything. In lieu of buying it, however, they take what they want by force.

-When you collect a Purple Energy cube from a living planet, you may trade it for any other color Energy cube instead.

Orange
Kroon - The Kroon are a savage race of scaly red lizard-men that want nothing more than to destroy everything in their path.

-When you destroy a planet, take another turn

Green
Okana - The Okana desire peace, but will not stand by as others attempt to destroy their species. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

-You may exchange 1 flick to move your ship to any living Green planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.