Subject: Name that Game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Siger
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
A long time ago (early 80s), I used to play this game where each player was a gem hunter. You would travel around a map of Africa searching for different gems: rubies, emeralds, sapphires, diamonds - each of which was worth different amounts of money. The gems were printed on counters, hidden by being flipped over. The strategy of the game was how you travelled around the continent. You could walk, drive, fly, or boat, but all for different amounts of money (which you earned by selling gems). Also, fast travel, like flying and boating, didn't stop at every dig site or town.

Does anyone have any idea what the name of this game was?

Thanks for helping with 20-year old memories!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats easy... As far as i know the game is still available (in Denmark anyway). The game is called African Star, and can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5130

/Jakob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Siger
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
Awesome! Thanks so much. I didn't even mention that I used to play this game in Sweden, and it turns out to be a Finnish game. I'm glad you didn't need that little clue to know what I was talking about.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
It's verry revereded in the nordic countries (espacally in Sweden) and it still sells I think. Rather lowley rated here I see. Most people I know absoulutly adores the game and love to play it, when they find it again that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.