Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Variants

Subject: Random Starting Research Center Location rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello all!

My girlfriend and I have played Pandemic a lot since I purchased it about a week ago, and it has been great! If this has been posted previously forgive me, but a fun tweak has been to draw a card from the shuffled infection pile when setting up the game. Whatever city you draw is where your pawns and initial research station is placed (then reshuffle the infection deck of course). It adds a surprising amount of variety to the game with that one small tweak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea! I'll try this sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, it is a common suggestion, but it's quite a nice one, as you've discovered. It can make things much easier, or harder, depending on where you end up starting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, it's a nice little variant. I started the game in Taipei, my home city whenever I introduce this game to new players. With subsequent games, I draw a random infection card for starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents on this - that it doesn't matter too much.

Since the starting disease setup is randomized, it doesn't matter were the CDC is, because tactics will change accordingly. In other words, a game where 4 blacks come out on the normal set up means you have to hustle over there (tougher start). But if your random CDC was in Istanbul, it's as if 4 blue came out with the Atlanta CDC.

I think it might be a detriment, say if Santiago was the CDC, due to the lack of connections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your right it definitely can be a detriment, which can be part of the fun. Your also right it usually doesn't make a difference from a stragic perspective (unless you get Santiago or Sidney which definitely makes things a little more tricky), but for me that isn't really the point. To me the point is to add some variety in that you don't start in Atlanta every single game, thats all. The great thing about Pandemic is the mechanics are so tight and the rules are so good that everything works well right out of the box, this just adds some variety for those who play it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
since the starting 9 cards are already random, I feel there's no point to have the research station random as well, as it will actually makes the whole set up less random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say we should try to figure out a couple of possible places for research stations that aren't too powerful or too weak. If it ends up somewhere in Africa or South America, things can get pretty bad. If it's in Paris or Bangkok things might be too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deev
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As another relatively new player, I haven't seen this recommended before and it sounds like a nice idea -- thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Englund
Finland
Hautjärvi
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually Finnish version of Pandemic has the St. Petersburg replaced by Helsinki and the first research station were the game starts is in Helsinki.

But the random thing is also a cool idea. Or just to start from Tokyo if you play with yours Japanese friends...

-Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.