GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,111 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Blue's Dreamation 2006 adventures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, another Dex event and I happily played many games over the course of Friday and Saturday. I even managed to persuade a co-worker to come play on Friday. We took off with Mystery of the Abbey, a fun and light game with some silly events. It was most fun to see my very Muslim co-worker get in on the monk action and even win the game!!! She went right before I was planning on making two correct revelations! Maybe I should not have brought her in the first place! Then we learned how to play Freya's Folly from Eileen and had a blast. I was able to take my revenge from my friend by stealing her amber but she retaliated by blocking my poor dwarf from escaping the depths of the mining tunnels. Well, for a while at least. Matt ended the game abruptly by finishing two setting in his turn which put me to second place. After a break for dinner/anime (Steamboy) I returned to the gaming room for my first game of Cosmic Encounter. Carl was running the game and Nick explained most of the rules. It was as chaotic and fun as I had expected it to be. I was given the yellow planet system, but EVERYONE knows I am BLUE! So I bitched and pouted until John gave up the blue system and took the yellow. This turned out to be a mistake on my part because for the next hour and a half most of the destiny cards pointed the attacks to my planets! I was weak and I even lost my useless power (Plant!) because I lost control of 3 of my 5 planets! BUT then I shocked the universe by bringing out the nastiest card ever allowing me to exchange planet systems with anyone in the game!!! I was yellow again and poor John got a dying blue system. I was going to win for sure, since I now had 4 bases outside my system (John did a terrfic job with yellow!) BUT due to a miscalculation on our part the Virus (Andrew) won by playing "subtly," as he put it... I came in second, again. Not bad for running a whole planet system down to the ground for most of the game After Cosmic Enconter, I convinced John and Nick to play a game of pure marriage fun, Familienbande. It was, as usual, not very easy to tell who was what trait and in the end I don't even remember who won. I was the NOSE and whenever I am the NOSE I lose, so I probably did not win... It was definetely the first time I saw soooooo many marriages in one game!

Friday was exhausting and I somehow could not sleep well that night, so I showed up for Amun-Re the next day with a sluggish mind. This does not excuse coming in LAST, I admit, but well, it was a disaster. I still liked the game, though the "special" cards still hurt my head (I had to refert o the damn rules book for more than 10 times!) During my lunch time a bunch of people (Heather, Michelle, Gil, and Eileen) wanted to play a pick up game and we chose Fearsome Floors. I won it but never got to play it, so I figured this would be the time to learn the rules. Gil was nice enough to teach us how to play and though it turned out that he made a few boo boos, I must say I liked his version of the rules best, because I won It was a blast! Then came the game I had been sying to play: Railroad Tycoon. I knew I would like it, but the question was how much. Matt taught us the rules and we had a 6 player game going. John, after his bitter defeat in Cosmic Encounter the night before, was out to crush me. He concentrated in the Northeast whereas I avoided the Northeast completely (mostly because I am short and the board was large and I could not reach to see anything...) He accumulated a LOT of shares and I played the whole game wiht only 2 shares. We tied for victory points, but of course, I, having the fewest shares, had more money, so I won! John was not happy, understandably. (Oh, I almost forgot, Matt and I had a little chat with the Z-Man and he told us that they are going to print Geshcenkt (No Thanks!) for $10 in February ) Where was I, yes, John wasn't happy. I managed to convince him and some others to stay on for Railroad Dice (after a failed attempt to learn Maharaja... we could not figure out what was a village, a city, or a palace!) John kicked ass in Railroad Dice, although we did not have time to finish the game. I was originally signed up to end my day of gaming with San Marco, but since there wasn't a staff member to teach us, I recruited some people to play Railroad Dice again. This time we were really in trouble because Brian, who loves Railroad Dice, joined us to play. I didn't play in the beginning but took over when someone had to leave after 2 hours. It was a very nice and tight game where companies changed hands often, and people managed to build several stations and bring in a few new map tiles into the game in a single turn! Brian won the game, no surprises there!

In general, it was a very pleasant and fun con experience. I think knowing people and people knowing you definetely makes a big difference. I managed to play games I had never played before, which is always great. I am now tempted to buy Railroad Tycoon and Freya's Folly, but I will stick to my oath of not buying any new games until I play ALL that I own! So by then they will all be OOP and I won't be able to afford them anyway

Eagerly waiting for UberCon in February!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was lots of fun playing with you, Blue. It was even more fun hearing you promise to "kick the asses" of anyone who played Railroad Dice with you. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Blue!

Glad you had lots of fun. I'll be bringing RRT back for Dexcon for sure, so you'll get to play it again if you want. I really enjoyed the brief chance to check out Railroad Dice, so thank you for bringing it around. Will see you at Ubercon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eileen Duffy
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was great to meet you, Blue! Definitely one of the highlights of the con for me. I love your very twisted sense of humor. devil

I hope you'll be at Ubercon: I'll be running Freya's Folly, Carc:The City, Talisman, and something else, maybe Reef Encounter, my mind is blanking on me. And of course, DexCon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes yes, UberCon! I'll be there on the 11th for all day fun! I already recruited one poor co-wroker to come play devil

And, Eileen, I have no idea what you are talking about... My twisted sense of humor? Me? Little innocent me? I don't think so... (I am warning you though, kids loooove me, probably because they think I am just an overgrown fat kid [yes, yes, I have actually had a kid say this to my face!] but I practice absolutely no restriction with them, i.e. I treat them just like I treat adults and yes, I curse a lot shake )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.