Innovation: Figures in the Sand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do karmas always interrupt, regardless of whose turn it is? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I had Sunshu Ao on my board (top card): "If you would tuck a yellow card, instead execute all non-Demand dogma effects on it for yourself only, then return it to your hand."

My wife played Reformation, which I got to share: "You may tuck a card from your hand for every two [Leaf] icons on your board."

If in the process of sharing Reformation I tuck a yellow card, does play actually stop and do I then immediately get to execute Sunshu Ao's karma, even if it's not currently my turn? Not to mention the fact that doing so would put me in an infinite loop because I could continue to tuck the same card over and over again since the card I would tuck returns to my hand instead. (That would happen even if I played Reformation myself.) Obviously, that makes no sense.

So I guess my first question is, does a karma like Sunshu Ao's interrupt play no matter whose turn it is?

And my second question is, is it safe to assume that Sunshu Ao's karma (and cards like it) do not allow you to tuck the same card twice during the same action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Not to mention the fact that doing so would put me in an infinite loop because I could continue to tuck the same card over and over again since the card I would tuck returns to my hand instead.

Huh? Reformation only lets you tuck X times if you have 2X Leaf icons. To tuck infinitely many times, you would have to have infinitely many Leaf icons, which seems unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Good point, fair enough.
Do you know the answer to the first question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would be allowed to tuck the same card multiple times. If you have four Leaf icons, and you're allowed to "tuck a card" twice, then I don't see any reason why you couldn't tuck a card, follow your instructions, and then tuck a card, which could happen to be the same card if you find it's still in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
No, I meant do you know the answer to the FIRST question, "If in the process of sharing Reformation I tuck a yellow card, does play actually stop and do I then immediately get to execute Sunshu Ao's karma, even if it's not currently my turn?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
No, I meant do you know the answer to the FIRST question, "If in the process of sharing Reformation I tuck a yellow card, does play actually stop and do I then immediately get to execute Sunshu Ao's karma, even if it's not currently my turn?"

I think so. I can't really see any other way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Unless Chris and/or Carl say karmas only interrupt your own turn, not another player's turn, but I suspect that would be unlikely since other karmas are always in effect regardless of whose turn it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chudyk
msg tools
designer
Yes, Sunshu Ao's karma interrupts play for you if an opponent dogmas Reformation.

Yes, Sunshu Ao does not allow you to tuck the same card twice in the same effect that tells you to tuck X cards. Choose which cards you will tuck first, then tuck them. This came up in another thread somewhere, and ruling the other way caused too many problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks for clarifying.

Can you also comment on my other post:

The playing mat that comes with Figures in the Sand says in the Decree section, "To Decree, you need three Figures of different value in your hand." Is that a mistake?

The online rules say, "You may only take a Decree action if you have three or more Figures in your hand." It says nothing about having three Figures *of different value*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chudyk
msg tools
designer
Yes, the three figures must be of different values to perform a Decree Action, unless you have a figure as a top card that reduces the requirement to two figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
That changes everything. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.