Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Poll: Help me decide between Silent War, Steel WOlves or U-Boat Leader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which one has more replay value?
Silent War
Steel Wolves
U-Boat Leader
      57 answers
Poll created by jcikal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played all three... definitely not U-Boat Leader, I had trouble willing myself to play a 2nd game of it, a real boring procedural, simple, abstract and easy to exploit to win, crappy game, the worst game in the Leader series by far.. and certainly the most monotonous (which is saying something when compared with the other 2 games you listed as well as the others in the Leader series!)

Both Silent War & Steel wolves are similar and you don't really need replayability since both games took me over a month to finish! Now that I've finished both games in the grand campaign mode, I don't really want to play it again too soon, but I can imagine myself playing both again in the future.

I would select one or the other solely based on which campaign interests you most, the Atlantic War as the Germans or the Pacific War as the Allies. I preferred the Atlantic War myself. I also recommend playing both on VASSAL after awhile, saves table space, but more importantly the chit drawing for combat can get rather old and wearing after the 500th time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, not on your list but fits the underwater theme and it has a better theme song than those other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
My order of preference:

Steel Wolves
Silent War (with IJN expansion)
U-Boat Leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buse
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the early war period in Silent War was much more challenging than the comparable period in Steel Wolves. There's more going on in Steel Wolves and it is less frustrating, but that doesn't make it more interesting. Steel Wolves also ramps up to insane levels of moves, interactions, and chit draws - maybe an order of magnitude beyond the already daunting Silent War.

I found the only practical way to play Steel Wolves was to use Vassal. Vassal helps with Silent War, but it is possible to play the physical game, if that makes a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 is coming out this June. A shorter, solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
OK, not on your list but fits the underwater theme and it has a better theme song than those other games.

That's hilarious!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I can't comment on anything other than don't get U-Boat Leader. It feels nothing like submarine combat or strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent war is just brilliant. I put hours and hours into it. I would heartily recommend it.

Havent played the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.