Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
The second of the two small scenarios in Bastogne, "Battle for Longvilly, Mageret and Neffe" actually has a misleading title - the victory conditions don't include Longvilly at all, instead including Bizory. I realised this about half-way through my first play of the scenario, so was forced to reset. Mind you, this scenario does not take long to play at all: the Germans get three turns, the Allies two, and the Allies don't have much fighting to do - at least not on the offensive side.

Let's look at the set-up:

I've greyed out the area above that isn't in play, and what we are left with are three victory areas outlined in red: the Allies win if they hold all of them at end of the battle, the Germans win if they hold all of them. Any other result is a draw.

Meanwhile, Longvilly holds three units of Allied Artillery, which will cause a lot of trouble to the Germans if not neutralised. In theory, the Germans can move troops quickly along the road up to Bourcy and then down towards the victory towns, but that line will likely be blocked by Allied units soon enough. With road movement and exploitation impossible in the first turn, the Germans have a challenging time of it - certainly with only three turns. They have a lot of units, but mostly only 1-attack strength infantry, which is great for holding positions but not good for taking them. Their mobile troops and artillery will hold the key here.

It's a pretty good turn for the Germans - they've taken Mageret, and have strong armour near Bizory and Neffe. The attack on Longvilly could have gone a lot better, and the top convoy of troops is strung over a wide area.

Artillery fire definitely aided the Allies, though.

Unfortunately for the Germans, at this point the Allied reinforcements arrived, flooding the area and basically cutting off the German infantry from getting closer to the key battlepoints. Rail and road movement is key, and the Germans at Longvilly would have loved a forward unit at Bourcy to cut off the surge.

The Germans attempt some overrun attacks in return, but these are less effective than hoped for, especially in Longvilly, where the unit is destroyed against defence 1 artillery... leaving it available for fire elsewhere.

After another round of German attacks and Allied movements in return, we reached the situation shown above: The Germans have a lot closer to taking Bizory, are stalled at Longvilly, and their infantry is now fortifying Mageret.

The big problem for the Germans is that they've basically lost their armour capability in Longvilly, and the Longvilly artillery is free to pound the attackers around Neffe.

That's basically what happened: the Germans were able to take Bizory without much trouble, but the three remaining Allied artillery units were able to inflict a lot of damage on those that needed to take Niffe: two Disorganised (DG), one unhurt. German artillery in return was completely ineffective. The attack was made at unfavourable odds, and Niffe survived.

Overall, the scenario was a draw: the Allies didn't look like recapturing the German positions in the near term, but the Germans hadn't fulfilled their objectives in time.

All in all, this was a quick scenario to play, taking about 40 minutes. One of the very nice things about Bastogne is how low the rules overhead is: the SCS rules are nice and simple to begin with, and there aren't very many special rules to worry about. I hope to actually play through a full game in the near future, and it will be interesting to see how long that actually takes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report! I recently picked up this game, so yes, let us know how long the campaign takes if you do it.

Pete S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd say it takes a longish day to complete, or maybe 3-4 evening sessions depending on how quick a player you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
40 minutes to complete!!!

That's very quick. I'd say more like 2 hours at least

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But still a god session report . Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wittmann222 wrote:
40 minutes to complete!!!

That's very quick. I'd say more like 2 hours at least

I'm fast. I do tend to play games a lot faster than most other people. It helps that this one was solo and didn't have a lot of moving parts.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.