United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried a few games with the He.111 H-3 and it seems quite tough relative to their actual strength in the Battle of Britain.

Some specifics:

- The tail stinger didn't seem to be present in He.111 H-3s, this was added in H-6s after the Battle of Britain. Even if it was present, would this gun really be as lethal as the non-remote-fired dorsal gun? Seems like the odds of hitting anything with that arrangement would be about nil.

- The dorsal gun, as viewed in a cutaway drawing of an He.111, doesn't seem like it could fire forward at all, or even straight to the side. It also seems like it should be blocked by the tail. In Fighting Wings, the dorsal is rear arc, +/-30deg, and can't fire straight back at a target at the same alititude.

- Not that I want more defensive firepower, but why are the ventral guns shorter range than the other guns? I think all of the guns are the same caliber.

- Does anyone use the aiming bonus optional rule with bomber defensive guns? This rule is 'per weapon', giving you 4 A damage chits behind the bomber on the second turn of fire on a fighter overtaking from the rear.

- How do you balance a scenario with the He.111? It feels like you almost need to match damage points (~2 Hurricanes per He.111).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they have made a mistake with the dorsal turret. They just copied the angle from the He 111 E, which was to be released in the Nexus expansion that has never been released. The dorsal gun the way it is was able to move just +/- 40°.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?14472-Approa...

You are also right about the tail gun, if i am not mistaken, those were not used during BoB.

We do use the aiming. It creates hell around the bomber but we do use it. It is more challenging and it feels real.
We usually play He + Bf against 3 Spits on 2 game mats.

Join us at http://www.wingsofwar.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Lannes
Germany
Zirndorf
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
You are also right about the tail gun, if i am not mistaken, those were not used during BoB.

Same opinion here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.