Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the base game (enhanced edition), and I'm a bit confused about the amount of expansions and promos.

Which expansions should I get, and in which order?
Also, a brief explanation of content (e.g. number of cards, new rules), would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say for the expansions: Infernal Relics, Shattered Timelines, then Rook City.
If you must do without an expansion, I'd recommend it be Rook City.

New Rules:
Rook City introduces Irreducible damage (of which I can't say I'm a fan).
I don't remember the other two introducing new rules, although I could be wrong.

Cards:
Each expansion has 2 heroes, 4 villains and 2 environments. It's the same amount of cards in each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - Infernal Relics is the most fun, mainly for the villains. I am recently coming round to Expatriette, who I hated for a long time but have recently figured out how to play.

Can I advise something a bit different? Drop a small amount of cash on Unity and Ambuscade first - I really like both of them, even if Ambuscade is a bit easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Minutillo
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I've ordered all of them I have only played with the core set and ambuscade. This week I've picked up Shattered Timelines and Rook City but I haven't had a chance to play them yet. I have obsessively researched though

There are 3 main expansions, a collection of mini-expansions and a then there are promo-cards.

The 3 main expansions each come with 2 heroes, 4 villains and 2 environments and are probably the best value for money.

In release order they are:

Rook City
A gritty, urban expansion.
Heroes:
Expatriette - Gun wielding non-superpowered daughter of citizen dawn.
Mr. Fixer - Another non-super. A martial artist and mechanic.
Villains:
Plague Rat - A huge rat living in the sewers. He'll infect the heroes and they'll damage each other and themselves
Spite - A deranged serial killer with access to some seriously performance enhancing drugs. You'll save potential victims from him while he fuels up on drugs (which are indestructible once they're out).
The Matriarch - Tachyon's crazy sister and commander of birds. This deck will keep coming at you. Reportedly one of the hardest villains in the game.
The Chairman - A shadowy figure controlling the Rook City underground. This is another of the hardest villains in the game.
Environments:
Rook City - ???
Industrial Complex - ???

Infernal Relics:
A more magic/arcane expansion.
Heroes:
The Argent Adept - Magical wielder of musical instruments.
Nightmist - A private eye who's cursed (parts of her fade to mist in the presence of darkness).
Villains:
Akash'Bhuta - The spirit of chaos and destruction in nature. She will use the environment against you.
Apostate - An evil angelic appearing guy who claims he is responsible for Fanatic.
GloomWeaver - A creature from another dimension trying to get in.
The Ennead - A team of 9 villains who have been taken over by gods of the Egyptian pantheon.
Environments:
Tomb of Anubis - ???
Realm of Discord - ???

Shattered Timelines:
A terrible event occurs and multiple timelines converge.
Heroes:
Chrono-Ranger - A cowboy from 1883, fell through a time portal, lost an arm to a giant rat and now works as a time-hopping bounty hunter for a an entity living in the far future!
Omnitron-X - A future iteration of the Omnitron villain developed compassion and has decided to defend humans, especially against it's past self.
Villains:
Kismet - A rogue who can manipulate luck. She'll jinx the heroes.
La Capitan - A pirate captain who sails the time cataclysm with her motley crew from across time and space.
The Dreamer - A young version of The Visionary who is developing powers and having wicked nightmares. Defeat the nightmares but keep The Dreamer alive or you lose.
Iron Legacy - The terrible event mentioned above happened to Legacy in an alternative timeline. Now he rules the world to "protect" it. Iron Legacy is currently the hardest villain in the game.
Environments:
Time Cataclysm - A mash-up of all on the environments. One minute it's smog, the next dinosaurs, then suprise shopping trip! (no really)
The Block - A majorly advanced prison for keeping super-villains in. There will be outbreaks and riots.

Vengeance:
Not out yet! The first expansion of it's kind it should have 5 villains, maybe 5 heroes and some number of environments and will have some new rules/mechanics.

The mini-expansions offer a single deck. This might be a new hero, a new villain or a new environment.

Heroes:
Unity - A young lady, she creates golems from others stuff
The Scholar - A really old guy who has The Philospher's stone
Villains:
Ambuscade - A french ex-action movie star who hunts big game...heroes. This guy just keeps getting back up and coming after you.
Miss Information - Freedom Five's assistant. She dies when the FF fail to save her and she wakes up in an alternate timeline in the middle of a meeting with the FF with one thought on her mind...revenge!
Environments:
Silver Gulch 1883 - It's an old western town. And there's a shootout going on. And we need to get back to the portal before it closes and traps us here forever.
The Final Wasteland - Well into the future, a post-apocalyptic land populated with terrible monsters.

The promo cards are single cards which provide alternate character abilities for existing characters. These were released as kick-starter stretch goals and as such are not generally available for purchase. There is some thought that at some point in the future (think "a couple of years from now") there will an unlimited pack of these made available with different artwork (but the same abilities).

Heroes:
Absolute Zero: Elemental Wrath
Bunker: Engine of War
Haka: The Eternal
Tachyon: Team Leader
Tempest: Freedom
Unity: Golem
Visionary: Dark
The Wraith: Price of Freedom
The Wraith: Rook City
Fanatic the Redeemer
Legacy: Young
Ra: Horus of Two Horizons

I think the only new rules are the irreducable damage ones in Rook City. Rook City also introduced the nemesis mechanic and the (H)-value balancing mechanic but these were back-ported into the Enhanced Edition of the game. Value for money you want the big three expansions: Rook City, Infernal Relics and Shattered Timelines. And I'd get them in whatever order sounds the most fun. For me that was Shattered Timelines, Rook City, Infernal Relics (and they happened to arrive in that order too!). The mini-expansions are worth it if they sound fun to you, otherwise don't bother. It's only $5. If you play with that deck once you probably got your monies worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
codermike wrote:
It's only $5. If you play with that deck once you probably got your monies worth.

With 36 Heroes+Villains at $5 a pop, that's $180. Let's just assume the environments are free. I'm pretty sure if this game were OOP you would see people happily paying that much (and possibly much more) to own everything

The value offered by this game is phenomenal. My advice to the OP is to buy anything you see that you don't yet own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Waldbauer
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Rook City is the last expansion you want, but I prefer Shattered Timelines over Infernal Relics. I just really enjoy Omnitron-X and Chrono Ranger too much :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For heroes, I like the expansions in the order of Rook City, Shattered Timelines, Infernal Relics. I like Expatriette pretty well and really enjoy playing Mr. Fixer. Although some people think that Fixer is underpowered I haven't noticed this. I don't really care for Nightmist or The Argent Adept. They aren't bad, but they aren't my play style either. The Scholar is a good promo hero. Unity has been kind of hit or miss in my group; she either comes out really well or not at all.

For villains, the expansions would go Infernal Relics, Shattered Timelines, then Rook City. In Infernal Relics all the villains feel unique. In Shattered Timelines Kismet and La Capitan feel a bit hoo-hum. They play fine but just feel a bit plain.

For the environments, I'd rate the expansions as Infernal Relics, Shattered Timelines, then Rook City. I also like Silver Gulch and The Final Wasteland quite a bit. They'd actually rate above Rook City for me.

So, given the break out by deck types I rate the overall expansions as:
1) Infernal Relics
2) Shattered Timelines
3) Rook City

They are all very much worth having, though, as all of them add good decks to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally have every single item that coder mike listed in the order that they came out. I've fought every villain at least once (except the Chairman in Rook City) in every environment, and played with every hero. In the end, I would suggest getting them all, but that's just me. As for order of purchases, I would suggest going in order of difficulty/awesomeness. For me that means this order:

Shattered Timelines - In my opinion, their best balance of heroes, villains and environments. You have a few that are cakewalks (sometimes) and a few that will challenge you every time you play.

Infernal Relics - As others have noted, this has the most unique heroes and villains. The environments aren't bad either and offer up a nice challenge.

Rook City - I will admit, even though it is one of my favorite expansions for Sentinels, it is a HARD set to play against. Everything in this box is unlike what you get in the core and everything is out to destroy you. But that's what makes it fun in my opinion.

After all that, pick up the promo characters to finish off if you like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The infernal relic villains are easy! Three of them are easier then Baron Blade.

The Rook City Villains are difficult 3 of the 4 toughest Villains are in Rook City.

Infernal Relics has the easiest, environment in the game.

Rook City is the hardest environment in the game.

The infernal relics heroes are really cool and powerful.

The Rook City heroes are slightly weaker then average heroes.

Personally I feel that Shattered Timelines has the best mix with a range of villains, cool heroes and interesting environments.

My vote - get them all. The game rocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Schexnayder
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Echo all the posts saying you can't go wrong and it just depends on your preferred play style. Infernal Relics has two of the three complexity 3 heroes in Argent Adept and Nightmist, who take some time to master but are probably my top two to play. The villains are a bit easier but really fun.

Also, get Unity! She's super fun and be absolutely devastating with certain heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
youperguy wrote:
The infernal relic villains are easy!

Not really - in particular, Advanced Ennead is on the same level of difficulty as Rook City villains.

I think Infernal Relics is thought of as easier than it really is because a) Gloomweaver's in it and Gloomweaver's a joke, and b) Ambuscade, who's easy but isn't actually in it, came out at the same time and gets mentally lumped in with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambuscade isn't THAT easy. I have yet to beat him in 3 games. Gloomweaver can easily be made difficult with two simple rules. Otherwise, yes, he is a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a moment of weakness I just ordered all expansions available at CSI. surprise I hope it all fits in my EE box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
In a moment of weakness I just ordered all expansions available at CSI. surprise I hope it all fits in my EE box!

Strong work. Your wife or significant other will be happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Minutillo
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Ambuscade isn't THAT easy. I have yet to beat him in 3 games. Gloomweaver can easily be made difficult with two simple rules. Otherwise, yes, he is a joke.

According to the Sentinels statistics project Ambuscade is the least deadly villain despite being the 5th most fought. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AqClP82b_XgZdGJK...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know. I am wondering if I just suck or if people are misreading some cards. I probably just suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Yes, I know. I am wondering if I just suck or if people are misreading some cards. I probably just suck.

It's unlikely that everyone is misreading the cards. Maybe you are? Or just a streak of bad luck - not unheard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

It's unlikely that everyone is misreading the cards. Maybe you are? Or just a streak of bad luck - not unheard of.

Indeed, definitely possible that I am reading something wrong. I am planning on fighting him again this weekend.

I swear every time I fight him, he gets his Explosive Launcher, Personal Cloaking Device, and whatever that armor plating of his is out in the first few rounds then gets Charged Attacks going. He can be a pain with those cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
An earlygame Personal Cloaking Device is actually good for the heroes, though, since it means you can beat down his targets without his Damage Taken -1 Advanced rule being a nuisance. The only nasty thing he has is Charged Attacks, but since there's only one copy of it and it's his only Ongoing card, you should have enough Ongoing removal to deal with it - if you don't, you'd be hit much harder by pretty much any other villain that has any Ongoing cards at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
youperguy wrote:

Personally I feel that Shattered Timelines has the best mix with a range of villains, cool heroes and interesting environments.

I can't really agree on the Environments, in that I think playing with The Block is like playing without an Environment a lot of the time. Time Cataclysm is all right, but it's not as fun as The Realm of Discord, which is the other Environment that's a grab bag of weird effects.

Silver Gulch 1883 is a good Environment, but it's a promo, not part of Shattered Timelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I feel like Plague Rat is dang near unbeatable. Granted, I almost always play with three heroes, but dang is he hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

Strong work. Your wife or significant other will be happy.

I haven't even played SotM with my wife yet. She doesn't like to get barraged with new games all the time, and I just introduced Police Precint to her recently. I've been playing a lot of solo SotM games recently, but I plan to introduce it to her and another couple from down the street soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also had a lot of trouble with La Capitan and Kismet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Man I feel like Plague Rat is dang near unbeatable. Granted, I almost always play with three heroes, but dang is he hard.

The only time I've fought Plague Rat, I made the mistake of facing him with Legacy and putting out Inspiring Presence.
Boy did we go down fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His infection is NASTY that is for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.