Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While at my local Hobby Lobby the other day, I found small card collecting albums for only $4.49. There were only two, so I snagged them both. When compared to the ones in the core set, they are almost identical in size. The cool artwork is obviously not there; there are also fewer pages than the core spellbooks. The pages are still 4x4, but there are only 10 pages instead of the core Spellbook's 20. They should be adequate, if you don't mind compacting things a bit. I will upload a couple photos in the next day or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tammy Smith
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea! Will they fit cards back-to-back pretty well if you put two in one slot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes; I can confirm they work well front/back, and appear to have enough pages to not need to put more than 2 cards in a sleeve.

A disclaimer is that I have the four starter decks built (not the apprentice ones though). So if these have much less cards than your average customized deck, they might not be viable. Otherwise you're good to go.

For aesthetics, I put the warlock & priestess in the spell books that come with the core set. The wizard deck fit in the Hobby Lobby album with a few pages to spare. The Beastmaster deck was a tighter fit, but I use empty sleeves as dividers between card types; I could have easily gone back to compact it even further.

I actually find the pages in the Hobby Lobby albums easier to insert/remove cards from, so using front/back isn't a big deal. Of course, you can't beat the artwork of the provided spellbooks, but this is an affordable alternative. Hope this helps!

Edit: They also fit nicely into the box insert. I have the two Hobby Lobby albums and the two provided spellbooks in a stack of four and the box closes normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a pack of these (http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-9-Pocket-Trading-Pages/dp/B0... - man the us prices are low ninja) and printed some fantasy artwork for each binder.
Now I have 8 spell books ready to go at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Harris
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Walmart's have similar card albums for $2-$3 in thier card section at the registers. I want to say they have 12-15 4 page sheets.

Hedge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering you get two good looking spell books in the core set (which you need to play), two great looking spell books in the expansion (which is awesome and all Mage Wars players should get) and two great looking spell books in the official spell book pack ($10.49 at CSI), I say spend the extra buck or two and get the official ones, which look great and support the company whose game you are enjoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:
Considering you get two good looking spell books in the core set (which you need to play), two great looking spell books in the expansion (which is awesome and all Mage Wars players should get) and two great looking spell books in the official spell book pack ($10.49 at CSI), I say spend the extra buck or two and get the official ones, which look great and support the company whose game you are enjoying.

Those are slick, I like that they are compliments to the ones shipped in the core. Unfortunately, they are out of stock at CSI. There are some still up on Amazon but they're $25. I think I'll wait for CSI to get them back in stock... till then, I have some nice substitutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
CrispyMyth wrote:

Those are slick, I like that they are compliments to the ones shipped in the core. Unfortunately, they are out of stock at CSI. There are some still up on Amazon but they're $25. I think I'll wait for CSI to get them back in stock... till then, I have some nice substitutes.

Ahh, I just bought a spell book pack from CSI and didn't know they were out. Amazon is definitely too pricey.

I hope I didn't come across as being overly critical. I was actually in a horrible mood when I wrote this earlier today, but was trying not to let my mood show through. I'm not sure if I succeeded, but my intent was NOT to be mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
We should have the Spellbook Pack #1 featuring the green and white spellbooks back in stock in our online store soon. Also, stay tuned for Spellbook Pack #2 featuring Dragonscale and Monster's Eye. We will be unveiling a brand new web store in the near future. Stay tuned!

Patrick Connor
Communications Director, Arcane Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:
Bpiehler wrote:
CrispyMyth wrote:

Ahh, I just bought a spell book pack from CSI and didn't know they were out. Amazon is definitely too pricey.

I hope I didn't come across as being overly critical. I was actually in a horrible mood when I wrote this earlier today, but was trying not to let my mood show through. I'm not sure if I succeeded, but my intent was NOT to be mean.

I didn't interpret your post as overly critical. I'm new to MW, thanks for the tip on the official books. Looking forward to picking them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.