Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I played VotBSMP once. Really enjoyed it. Realized right away that it needed an improved map before I'd play it again.

Here are my goals:

1 Enlarge each map. Also have added numbered text boxes that overlay the original hex numbers that make reading hex numbers easier.The original hexes are too small and the maps so crowded together that they negatively impact play.

2 Enlarge the Planet & Environ Attribute Track so the markers will actually fit. The original track is so small that there is no room for the counters.

3 Add pertinent (and hard to find) rules to a few boxes on the Planet & Environ Attribute Track to increase its utility and decrease rule references. The port penalty for exploring a thin atmosphere and the consequences for hitting a supply check in damaged rigs in certain environments is hard to find.

4 Add Environ specific rules and have only Environ specific terrain information available on the same page as each map to decrease rule & chart reference and increase accuracy of game play.

5 Group all charts and some important rules next to appropriate maps, tracks, and similar charts to centralize related information and to reduce flipping pages.

6 Enlarge the Time & Supply Track so counters fit without crowding.

Here are examples of where I'm at:

Example of the revised Interstellar Display & associated charts.

Example of the revised Time & Supply Track & associated charts.

Example of the revised Environ 1 (upper left environ) with associated charts & environ specific rules & information. All other environs are currently laid out identical to this.

Here is what I am not doing at this time:

1 Improving map graphics/art. I am just enlarging the maps. You're stuck with the original non-identical hex sizes & shapes for now!

2 Making a single, giant map. The original map will be broken up so that each environ, the Interstellar Display, and the Time & Supply Track each have their own page.

3 Changing any rules or including variants.

4 Altering any counters.

5 Improving the original exploration display. I found the Large Exploration Display by yeeshkul to fit my needs perfectly and see no reason to make a different version.

My primary intent has been to enlarge the displays and improve the tracks and the presentation of information to increase the enjoyment and ease of play for myself. I will upload the files soon when I am happy with them. While I'm not going to change any of my goals or jump into additional / different projects related to this game now, I want input from those who have played so I can make the files as useful as possible to a larger number of players than myself. I also don't have the keenest eye, nor skill, nor tools in regard to graphic design and know that some of you are likely to provide me with some good feedback that I otherwise would be blind to.

Due to may lack of skill, tools, and my original intent, upon printing the final product you will notice subtle differences in color where I used Microsoft Paint to blot out bleedover hexes from adjacent environs and the crease running through the center of the map. Just don't expect a professional graphic art product and you should be happy.

I have put aside all gaming until I get this project finished. I don't like to leave things hanging. But the itch is getting pretty bad as I've been working on this for a couple weeks. I intend to upload my first version to BGG by the end of next week at the latest so I can get on with life and get away from Microsoft Publisher and Paint!

Here are my planned uploads (each line is a file):
Interstellar Display
Time & Supply Track
Environs 1 & 2
Environs 3 & 4
Environs 5 & 6
Environs 7 & 8

Each file would be initially uploaded as pdf and I would likely upload a publisher copy if a request was made.

I welcome any feedback. Help me improve these for all of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good so far. Better than my tries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Anticipated upload versions of the Interstellar Display:

Option 1

Option 2

The only difference is the location of the counter examples.

Poll
Which version do you prefer?
Option 1 (counter examples in the middle)
Option 2 (counter examples on the bottom)
      12 answers
Poll created by Ryanmobile

The Turn & Supply Track should look the same as in the previous post.

I hope to have all files uploaded by the end of the week. Please post any feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, while it looks small on these examples, the text should be easily readable once printed to someone with 20/20 vision or someone with older eyes who has corrective lenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The text on the side of the Planet Environ track is too wide. Either thin it, or turn the text sideways so its easier to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
The text on the side of the Planet Environ track is too wide. Either thin it, or turn the text sideways so its easier to read.

I do need to spend some more time hassling with that. I had to make it vertical to fit the counter examples below. So far it hasn't turned out like I wanted. I may have to shrink the the rows in the chart slightly to fit it back in the horizontal direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you don't often read the Planet Environ label, turning it sideways should work just fine (and will maintain Simonsen's design aesthetic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I do need to spend some more time hassling with that. I had to make it vertical to fit the counter examples below. So far it hasn't turned out like I wanted. I may have to shrink the the rows in the chart slightly to fit it back in the horizontal direction.

No. Not the chart itself. The
P
L
A
N
E
T

A
N
D

E
N
V
I
R
O
N

part...

Or put it back to across the top of the chart as it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an example of Environ 5. This has the same format as Environ 1 pictured above:

And here's another revision of the Interstellar Display with the Planet and Environ Attribute Track arranged horizontally on top of the track.

The spaces on the attribute track are easily big enough to accommodate the markers.

If you look back to the Time & Supply Track in one of my previous posts, you can fit two counters per space easily.

I have everything arranged more or less how I want it for the time being. I'll wait a day or so for more comments and to do a little tidying up before submitting the files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1 of all environs and charts have been uploaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
So four of the Environ maps have been declined so far because they are "rules scans". I suppose the scanned images of the few charts were the trigger, as the other rules adjacent to each map were pulled out specifically and retyped in a different format.

If the environ maps aren't making in through, the Interstellar Display and Time & Supply track won't make it through.

Any ideas on how to get them through? We've got a scanned page of the Polish charts and a scanned page of the errata in the images section.

While I made these for myself, I'd really like to share them with everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps explain to the mods that these are not rules scans, just tables with explanations and that the rules are still required to play the game?

If the common sense approach does not work, try uploading them to one of the free sites (or even create a Yahoo Group)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very good so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
and that the rules are still required to play the game?

Especially given that these charts are more useless than usual without the rules since it's a paragraph-driven design.

That said, in the DMCA era copyright violation's no joke, so I can see why the mods would be overly cautious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1 option is to post them to personal gallery.

Another is to re-submit them and explain they are your own work. Not scans. Weird someone thought they were.

Could bundle them onto google docs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting for a couple of the files to be cleared or declined. Once that happens I'll resubmit with a note to the admins. If that doesn't work I'll likely try to upload them to my personal gallery with a thread linking them to this page. I'd rather keep them on BGG as I'm not familiar with outside file sharing services.

The only scans are of the maps. I had originally used scanned images for the charts but they didn't look good. So I retyped all the charts and text blocks as that result seemed (to me) to look much better.

It was strange as a couple of the submissions were returned as declined within a few hours of being submitted by one admin and the others haven't been returned yet. Usually it seems to take at least a day (usually more) before an admin looks at them.

I'll update when I know more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Approved!

Interstellar Display

Time & Supply Track

Environs 1 - 4

Environs 5 - 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a lot of work and a great job! Thanks for making them available.

I haven't played this game for decades, but still have the original in my collection. I was always fascinated by its design and details, and these files of yours may just tempt me to get it out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgrandpa wrote:
That's a lot of work and a great job! Thanks for making them available.

I haven't played this game for decades, but still have the original in my collection. I was always fascinated by its design and details, and these files of yours may just tempt me to get it out again.

Thanks for your kind words Gerald. I hope you do give it a play soon.

I actually got this game and The Wreck of the B.S.M. Pandora from my 2012 Secret Santa. It would be cool if my SS knew just what he set in motion!

Since I've finished these, it has made the game experience much more enjoyable. I found that I was constantly referencing rules and thought that placing environ specific information next to the map would help. It's made game play much smoother and more accurate for me.

Hope it helps others enjoy this game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're doing a great service.

My copy is the original that came in the Ares magazine, when I subscribed to it -- lo, these many years ago! (32 years, actually, which is probably older than a good percentage of BGG members)

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see folks interested in such an old game. I have fond memories of working on this with John back in the day. Thanks for your hard work. I might be tempted to improve the graphics if I get the chance, not to say anything against what Redmond did on the original (he was THE graphic designer for games at the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of the original boards and pieces. The reworking compliments them very well.

But Im working up my own versions so theres less potential for trouble later down the road seeing as ownership of these is iffy at times as to who really owns what and if Hasbro owns it now then its best to have a fallback plan and safe zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt if Hasbro's got it, more likely Decision Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgrandpa wrote:
You're doing a great service.

My copy is the original that came in the Ares magazine, when I subscribed to it -- lo, these many years ago! (32 years, actually, which is probably older than a good percentage of BGG members)

laugh

I just turned 32 yesterday (the day before you made the post above). A wee bit too young to have had a subscription to Ares , though I would have loved to discover this in my teenage years. Better late than never!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.