Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are probably really stupid questions, but I'm at a loss. In the English rules under the GETTING READY TO PLAY section, the initial hand is dealt out according to these specifications:

Quote:
Each player receives 4 cards in his hand. Each player gives the other player 2 cards face down.

So here are my questions:

1- Does a player give 2 cards to his opponent from his own hand, or from the remaining cards pile? That is, do players start out with 4 cards in their hands or 6 cards (4 + 2)?

2- If he gives cards from his own hand (which seems more likely), does a player choose which cards to give his opponent or are they given away sight unseen? The rules specify the cards are given face down, but if that's the case, why bother going through the motions of getting four cards and giving 2 random cards away? I mean, four random cards are four random cards, no? But on the other hand, why specify the 2 cards are given face down? My opponent can see his own cards, and I'm not brain-dead enough to have forgotten what I've given away a few seconds later. Can I see what 2 cards I choose to give away or not?

I would really love to play this game tonight, but I'm already stumped right out of the gate!

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Tim Taylor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Each player is dealt 4 cards and you choose 2 of those cards to exchange with your opponent.

Look through your initial 4 cards and choose two of them to give to the other player. The other player will give you 2 of their cards as well. This way you can keep the 2 best cards for yourself and give away the 2 cards you don't necessarily want.

Then, when laying out your 4 cards, take a look as to where your opponent is placing their cards. You may want to keep one of your really good cards out of the line of fire of an opposing card.

Have fun with this really cool game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Quote:
But on the other hand, why specify the 2 cards are given face down?

What's intended here is not so much "face down" as "simultaneously," i.e. you choose the cards you give your opponent without seeing the cards he's giving you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! This helps enormously! This is exactly why I love BGG so much!

TT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Going a bit further with the original question. If you put down your 4 cards in front of the dice discs, you obviousely ALWAYS have 2 empty dice discs, thus you ALWAYS have to give up a 2 VPs.

So what is the point at the beginning of the game to count up how many discs have no cards, if it's known, that it's always two???...

Or am I supposed to understand this, that this is how the play will go on in the next rounds, as cards are either taken away or added to the table (put in front or taken away from dics)??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
greengow wrote:
Going a bit further with the original question. If you put down your 4 cards in front of the dice discs, you obviousely ALWAYS have 2 empty dice discs, thus you ALWAYS have to give up a 2 VPs.

So what is the point at the beginning of the game to count up how many discs have no cards, if it's known, that it's always two???...

Or am I supposed to understand this, that this is how the play will go on in the next rounds, as cards are either taken away or added to the table (put in front or taken away from dics)??

You're right, giving the victory points on the very first turn is redundant.

It helps with first time you play to teach the flow of the turn, and it also helps to remind you to pay your VP at the beginning of subsequent turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greengow wrote:

if the first player removes one of his opponent's cards from play, the second player will lose more than 2 vps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
greengow wrote:

if the first player removes one of his opponent's cards from play, the second player will lose more than 2 vps.

The first time I played Roma, my opponent successfully attacked two of my starting cards in her first turn, so I lost 4 VPs at the start of my very first turn. I couldn't recover, and lost quite quickly - is this highly unusual, or does this kind of thing happen more often?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.