Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Archipelago» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about evolution cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Davidson
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first trial game. Absolutely wonderful game, but many rules were difficult to figure out. I have some questions about the evolution cards.

1. What side of the deck should be facing up? The crisis side?

2. If the crisis side is visible on the top of the deck, does that mean players always know if purchasing a person/building will create a crisis?

3. If the person/building side is face-up, does that mean you check the other side for a crisis, and then put the same card down as an available person/building after the crisis has been resolved?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, the crisis side must be face up in order to know what kind of crisis to resolve in phase 4 (only brown/yellow crisis/event) and 6 (only red crisis/event).

2. No. After purchasing a card, you will have to rotate one remaining card (if skull is pointed by the arrow as a result, the card must be discarded). Then, you will have to refill the 1 or 2 empty spots with the top (or 2 top) card of the crisis deck, revealing the following unknown until now crisis card.

If red upper (domestic) and/or lower (foreign/export) zones are red, they must be resolved immediately.

If they are brown/yellow, they will be resolved on the phase 4 of the next turn.

If you don't buy a card, you will have to rotate 2 cards. This can lead to not trashing any card at all (no skull pointed by arrow), the top card of the crisis deck will as a result be resolved again on the next turn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Davidson
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I was failing to understand that it is the card remaining on the deck that can activate a crisis (if red), rather than the card being taken to replenish the evolution cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This mechanics leads to interesting decision :

1) not purchasing a card in order to rotate 2 cards without trashing any of them in order :
- to keep the current crisis/event for the next turn because you have the matching resource or there is lot in local/foreign markets
- to keep the current crisis/event for the next turn because you don't have the matching resource or there is none in local/foreign markets : this will lead to raise the rebels, a thing that you certainely wants to do if you are the independantist.

2) purchasing a card to prevent the raising of the rebels on the next turn because you don't have the matching resource or there is none in local/foreign market.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
2. No. After purchasing a card, you will have to rotate one remaining card (if skull is pointed by the arrow as a result, the card must be discarded). Then, you will have to refill the 1 or 2 empty spots with the top (or 2 top) card of the crisis deck, revealing the following unknown until now crisis card.

If red upper (domestic) and/or lower (foreign/export) zones are red, they must be resolved immediately.


Just to clarify there, when TWO cards need to be replaced in this way, they are taken one at a time, meaning that the backs of two cards need to be examined for potential crises. That's the (2nd and 3rd face down cards in the deck at the start of the current player's card buying phase.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
everett hall
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played one game and this part of the game threw us for a loop ... we got it in the end but i started by discarding crisis cards after we paid the full price in resources, which is dead wrong.

i just want to make sure i got this correct:

so if two cards leave the evolution track, and both the cards exposed by replacing them have two brown/yellow backgrounds, nothing happens. in fact, the first crisis card just becomes a character/progress card on the track and the second (still on top in the game box) waits until phase 4 of the next turn.

if two cards leave the evolution track, and both cards exposed have red backgrounds on both the top and bottom, we'd have to deal with all 4 in that phase, probably chalking up a lot of rebels. regardless, the first card will become a character/progress, and the second card will stay in the box and will never happen again, not in phase 4 because its red, and not again in phase 6 because it only happens when exposed.

someone smarter than me, please confirm or reject

i'm gonna go bust out a solo mission cool


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If 2 cards leave the evolution track, 2 cards must be taken from the draw pile to fill the empty slots.

As John said, you will have to deal with the red backgrounds of the 2nd and 3rd revealed cards. The 3rd remains in the tray and, as you said, will never happen again in phase 6 because it only happens when exposed.

From the FAQ :
Quote:

If there is a red area on the back of a card, should it be resolved at the beginning of phase 6?
No, we solve only the cards revealed during this phase. This crisis has in fact already been solved before : during the previous phase 6 or when a card has been activated (the researcher or the headhunter can scroll cards in phase 5 and if a red back is revealed, we must also resolve the crisis)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ejhall wrote:
so if two cards leave the evolution track, and both the cards exposed by replacing them have two brown/yellow backgrounds, nothing happens. in fact, the first crisis card just becomes a character/progress card on the track and the second (still on top in the game box) waits until phase 4 of the next turn.


I think you know what you're talking about there but have written it in a manner that could confuse a stupid person. (I was confused!)

I'm not sure exactly what's meant by the words "first" and "second" in that piece.

So - just to be clear :-

Let's call the 3 cards, face down in the Evo deck, A (the top visible card), B and C (the third card down).

TWO cards disappear from the Evo deck. Take card A and place it on the Evo track. Resolve any red crises indicated on the back of card B. THEN move card B to the Evo track and resolve any red crises on card C. That's it. If card C remains there, and if it has any brown/yellow crisis on it, that (or they if there are two) will be resolved during the next Balance of the Archipelago phase, next turn.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamara McCarthey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think I may be playing wrong based on these posts. Player 1 chooses whether to purchase/rotate or rotate/rotate. If Player 1 purchases a card and leaves an empty slot is that card replaced immediately (before Player 1's rotation of the card and/or Player 2's turn)?

btw -- Love this game!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tamara2mac wrote:
If Player 1 purchases a card and leaves an empty slot is that card replaced immediately (before Player 1's rotation of the card and/or Player 2's turn)?

The card or cards are not replaced till player 1 has completed BOTH of his actions (purchase/rotate or rotate/rotate).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
tamara2mac wrote:
If Player 1 purchases a card and leaves an empty slot is that card replaced immediately (before Player 1's rotation of the card and/or Player 2's turn)?

The card or cards are not replaced till player 1 has completed BOTH of his actions (purchase/rotate or rotate/rotate).


I think Tamara2mac is correct. The cards are exposed one at a time and any red crisis is handled immediately after it is exposed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ejhall wrote:
i've played one game and this part of the game threw us for a loop ... we got it in the end but i started by discarding crisis cards after we paid the full price in resources, which is dead wrong.

i just want to make sure i got this correct:

so if two cards leave the evolution track, and both the cards exposed by replacing them have two brown/yellow backgrounds, nothing happens. in fact, the first crisis card just becomes a character/progress card on the track and the second (still on top in the game box) waits until phase 4 of the next turn.

if two cards leave the evolution track, and both cards exposed have red backgrounds on both the top and bottom, we'd have to deal with all 4 in that phase, probably chalking up a lot of rebels. regardless, the first card will become a character/progress, and the second card will stay in the box and will never happen again, not in phase 4 because its red, and not again in phase 6 because it only happens when exposed.

someone smarter than me, please confirm or reject

i'm gonna go bust out a solo mission cool

Confirm. You got it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tamara2mac wrote:
I think I may be playing wrong based on these posts. Player 1 chooses whether to purchase/rotate or rotate/rotate. If Player 1 purchases a card and leaves an empty slot is that card replaced immediately (before Player 1's rotation of the card and/or Player 2's turn)?


The rule states :-
Once a card is purchased and/or cards are rotated, if any spaces on the evolution track become empty as a result, fill them with cards drawn from the evolution deck, one at a time to fill the empty spaces.

So - to be clear - only the 5 cards in the evo track at the start of the player's turn are available to be purchased or rotated. You cannot purchase a card, replace it, and spin the replacement, nor can you spin a card, then purchase it's replacement.

AFTER this, if 2 spaces appear on the track replace them one by one, resolving any red crises on the backs of the 2 cards thus exposed. (That is, the 2nd and 3rd cards in the deck before the player took the turn.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.