England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

If I start to play as Zelos and take advantage of the extra Intelligence and extra Event Cards, if I subsequently swap to the Kazak, do I have to discard down to meet the new hand limit during the Draw phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronan Mc Crossan
msg tools
You'll take note, the rules mention nothing of having to discard down to your intelligence level at anytime. This is why the Zelos get a bonus to playing events, and the Kazak get no equivalent. If you start the turn as Zelos, you can switch to Kazak with no penalty at any point. (Where as, switching to Zelos from Kazak can leave you potentially vulnerable.)

This also benefits the Selenian Sirens. They can use their ability to their hearts content, and they never have to discard.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I checked this several times. It's tricky with these sorts of things. There are multiple places such a rule could be conceivably listed in the books, and sometimes they are listed in odd places. Fortunately, Flying Frog does an excellent job of keeping the rules organized and sensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are probably right - it played out OK without discarding down and as you say the rules don't mention ever discarding down. I was just going through a moment of uncertainty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
I think you are probably right - it played out OK without discarding down and as you say the rules don't mention ever discarding down. I was just going through a moment of uncertainty!

Played it the same way tonight. There is no mention anywhere in the rules that you must discard event cards to your intelligence level. Only fill your hand to your intelligence at the end of your turn (or before if you are that one race). If you happen to have more Event cards than your current intelligence, more power to your aliens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.